Newcastle at Home

Comments

• Newcastle have bought very well; £35m spent on four proven (to a degree) PL players (Fraser, Lewis, Hendrick, Wilson).
  • edited September 2020
    But I think we need to stop giving these players a pass & using the Diang sale as a scapegoat. That side, more or less, ended last season with 1 loss in 7, & played a reasonably decent level of football. Diang was not here last season.

That was just a poor, underwhelming performance. To be fair, I agree completely with Souness regarding Noble. A ridiculously unprofessional thing to say on social media, as club captain.
  • Me personally believe he’s right to come out and say what he thinks, he’s shown his loyalty to us and earned his right to come out and say what most of the fans are thinking
  • edited September 2020
    Cuz1 said:

Me personally believe he’s right to come out and say what he thinks, he’s shown his loyalty to us and earned his right to come out and say what most of the fans are thinking

Course he has the right. He can say what he likes.

Just thought it was completely pointless & a stupid thing to do before the new season. I would say that tweet, & the message/tone it set, was far worse than the actual sale.
  • Imo it should make the board feel, if it was there decision that the squad isn’t happy with there interfering ways, maybe moyes should have made the same sort of statement, instead of saying we’ve tried to sign a player who we value at half the price the selling club does and won’t go in for again , the club is rotten to the core everyone knows it players staff board and fans
  • Would've loved Lewis, thought that was a deal we should be all over

No one played well yesterday, but what is the point of Cresswell?

Fredericks played poorly, but at least he tried to overlap Bowen and get in some crosses

Cresswell doesn't get forward, can't beat the first man when he does, can't pass more forwards without losing it, gets outpaced by everyone and doesnt put in any tackles

It is literally playing with 10 men which is sad because for 2/3 years he was one of the best LB in the league, but he's been useless for 2 years
  • Rice, Oggy and particularly Noble looked dejected to me throughout the game, even before conceding. These players are our natural leaders which makes it of even more concern.
  • Watched the game with my old man. It was tragic.

Fabianski thought was okay, but allowing Wilson to get his foot in front of you from Hendricks flick on, flatten Wilson if you have to get your hand on it, MAN UP ?

The Back 4, Cresswell and Fredericks passing and crossing is a liability not even league one standard, can chuck defending in that bracket too. Diop and Ogbonna caught out a few times. All 4 of them passing it between them for 12 - 15 passes before lumping it or giving it to Noble whom would pass to a Newcastle player.

Midfield 3, Rice didn't look an 80m player couldn't pick a pass. Noble might as well have worn the barcodes shirt, but at least he came deep to collect the ball before giving it to them. Soucek didn't really have an effect.

Front 3, Antonio isolated (read comments when Haller plays up top solo, when Carroll played up top solo, when Hernandez played up top solo.....and on and on and on *insert any striker* as far back as when GSB bought the club)
    Bowen skill already gone, never ever ever once took on the fullback literally passed it back to the fullback and devoided all responsibility to create anything himself even when on one v one against the fullback, either gutless or the manager is telling him to do the same which is gutless. Fornals a headless chicken who doesn't understand positioning or know where to move to.

The Bench, Anderson - 40m / Haller - 40m / Yarmelenko - 15m / Lanzini - 10m
    100m of dross.

GSB enjoy the Championship and losing money. Tripp and the American Consortium or whatever don't worry you will get club cheaper in the Championship than whatever dumb valuation that GSB rate this club and we the fans will force GSB out one way or another to make it happen come 2023.

Well said
  • Sorry to say, Noble is passed his best though he might do well in odd games. He was ineffective yesterday. I am old enough to remember Johnny Haynes, a terrific player in his day, who used to play for Fulham. He was way past his prime but kept getting picked to play. Fulham used to get overrun in midfield and went down. The same will happen to West Ham unless the manager see the light. We have a ready made replacement for Noble in Josh Cullen. He has had a good season in championship and deserves a try in PL. Can't do worst than Noble. Rice and Cullen in from of the back-four and Soucek ahead of them would form a better midfield for next week's trip to Arsenal.
  • I saw noble was starting and decided to watch Mulan with my daughter instead think I made the right choice
  • IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

Well, Carroll would have been sent off for the challenge on Fredericks if he was playing for us.

Atwell at best is a mediocre ref, but if u really believe that then Imo you are clutching at straws
    Clutching at straws? What you on about?
    IH, I'm on about your statement that Carrol would have been sent off if he was playing for us......Simply cannot agree, that's it.

On another note anyone else feel that Fornals simply does not offer enough to warrant starting?..Just feel he might work a bit, but that's all he offers us...
    Then say don't agree then.
    Oh really..Am I not entitled to my opinion and say what I like, just like you?....
    You stated something, I didn't agree, I was not rude or did not made it personal,I just said what I thought ( as I stated IMO )...You can have your opinions, and I can have mine.

I don't have to say what you want me to say!, sorry.
    No one asked you to as I recollect.
    So I say something and you say 'I'm clutching at straws', that's not the same as 'I disagree'. All imo of course.
  • Let’s leave it there please, guys.
  • Does nobody know why Masuaku does not get picked over Cresswell? Even if we accept they are both rubbish, Masuaku is slightly less rubbish as an attacking outlet.
  • Lukerz

I assume that Moyes thinks Cresswell is better defensively, but I am not sure that’s the case anymore personally.

I am hopeful that the plan is to sign a centre back and move to a wingback formation. That way Arthur is more effective and works in the system.
  • no clue honestly

If Cresswell was good defensively I would get it, but he's not

Masuaku should be given a chance
  • edited September 2020
    Lukerz said:

Does nobody know why Masuaku does not get picked over Cresswell? Even if we accept they are both rubbish, Masuaku is slightly less rubbish as an attacking outlet.

Cresswell was once better defensively, don't think it's true anymore. He's been guilty of a lot the same mistakes Masuaku has made.

He also seems to always score an important goal just at the right time to keep him in the team.

I'm disappointed at Antonio's performance because it was so much like what he'd done before when he played up front. Wild shots and just smashing it into the defender. He was on the left a lot as well.

If Fornals plays, it should be centrally but I'd like to see Haller play behind Antonio first. We need one of our actual wide players on the left.

I think Johnson should've played yesterday as well. I don't care if he was bad in a pre-season game, he shouldn't have been the only player dropped from the team that finished last season well.

• edited September 2020
    I would get Anderson into the side on the left, sticking Masuaku behind him at LB.

If we have a £35m player, we may as well try & get more out of him.

I thought he was quite bright when he came on yesterday, in that brief cameo.
  • edited September 2020
    i dont think it matters at this point you could ask anyone associated with West Ham and they all would have said the first "in" at the club should be a Left Back. Yet we focus on a CB.
    alderz said:

Lukerz

I assume that Moyes thinks Cresswell is better defensively, but I am not sure that’s the case anymore personally.

I am hopeful that the plan is to sign a centre back and move to a wingback formation. That way Arthur is more effective and works in the system.

We have tried wing-backs before and it hopelessly failed.

I will always champion it 4-4-2 Diamond ! and some proper fullbacks.
  • Lukerz said:

I would get Anderson into the side on the left, sticking Masuaku behind him at LB.

If we have a £35m player, we may as well try & get more out of him.

I thought he was quite bright when he came on yesterday, in that brief cameo.

Agree. Anderson needs either overlapping runs or the run between the RB and CB. It allows him to make very effective through balls or to exploit the space it creates. We can't keep expecting him to take people on out wide when that's not his game.
  • We have to try and get any of Anderson, Lanzini, Yarmo or Haller into form. That starting 11 yesterday is just not going to create enough.

I don’t want to bang on about it all season, but Diangana on the left yesterday would surely have given us another dimension - pace, direction and unpredictability.
  • edited September 2020
    Was that a bang I heard? :)
  • IronHerb said:

That's bang out of order Herb =)
  • at least we can watch the women's team as they have taken the west ham way to heart
  • Interesting that wilshere didn’t make the bench yesterday. Does that mean the club is finally about to jettison him and don’t want to risk playing him in case the inevitable happens?
  • We have to try and get any of Anderson, Lanzini, Yarmo or Haller into form. That starting 11 yesterday is just not going to create enough

I thought Yarmolenko did okay when he came on. He was at least looking for the ball and willing to run with it. I would have him starting our next game.
  • IronHerb said:

No Wiltshire got hit by that bang earlier 😂
  • It seems like that happiness has been sucked out of the players, out of the fans. Out of the whole club.
    It was a dismal display, the leadership at the club has to get a grip of things. We need a new CEO who is more dynamic, with energy and purpose, and a strategy. Sorry about this. Back to my beers now
  • at least we can watch the women's team as they have taken the west ham way to heart

Their captain appears more passionate than Mark Noble.

• We still have the issue of no one dominating the midfield. Position wise we never have anyone around to collect second ball. Never have someone central aka Shelvey. Just a mix. Rice or Noble have to sit deep centrally for an entire game instead of drifting around. Bowen on the left and Yarma right for the next game. I think Snodgrass or Lanzini in for Noble. Rice captain. Oh and Masuaku in for Creswell to get some play going on the left.