Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• Path man how will they get to hospital. As far as I can tell no emergency services will be allowed at grounds.
  • My complaint (which Rooney seems to have missed) was clubs were paying their players full money, for doing nothing, while putting non-playing staff on furlough, thus tax payers pay 80% and the club makes up the rest. Why can't players help those people out 👍
  • There are some 2 million millionaires in the UK. Why is all the focus on the 500 Premier League players?
  • I think there was an argument to be had over non-playing staff having salaries cut while players didn't but this wider discussion is stupid.
  • The Mirror reporting that the Premier League is hoping to restart in June behind closed doors with more televised games.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-advanced-talks-government-21817712
  • The Mirror reporting that the Premier League is hoping to restart in June behind closed doors with more televised games.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-advanced-talks-government-21817712

I just don't see this happening, regardless of how many matches they show on TV there will be fans that will go to the stadiums to "support" their teams.
    This will either therefore need policing or will still be breaking rules on large gatherings. Which means that regardless of it being behind closed doors you are increasing the risk of the virus spreading again, just as the numbers start to hopd
    If you can't stop people going to parks then there is no chance to stop people heading to a ground to make some noise etc etc.
  • Yeah imagine Liverpool’s game that means they win the league if they win the match.

Gonna be no LFC supporters at Anfield?

Honestly this is starting to turn me off football.
  • this is maddening, I understand that plans need to be discussed for when we are on the backside of this pandemic and life starts to return to normal, but I do not think that June is a realistic date.

You have to wonder who is in touch with reality here.

When you consider the logistics in playing these games, even behind closed doors, it is simply ridiculous.

I actually agree that the season could be competed but only when it considered safe for all to do so.

• Pep’s mother has died of the virus so I’m sure football is furthest from his mind at the moment.
  • Once again Chicago, this has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with money.
  • Liverpool have reversed their decision to 'furlough' some staff. Good call.
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52188913

'The summer transfer window will be moved and contracts ending on 30 June will be extended for a short period under proposals agreed by football's major stakeholders.'
  • Medical experts this morning were saying it will be some considerable time before there will be any chance of large crowds at sporting events. Likelihood being that even if they found a way to finish this season behind closed doors they may have to play part of the next season in the same vein.
  • Some experts are saying schools should open after Easter. You pay your money and takes your choice. :hmm:
  • I saw a similar report but how do they expect to keep the children 2m apart! The teachers would need a megaphone to teach them.
  • I saw a similar report but how do they expect to keep the children 2m apart! The teachers would need a megaphone to teach them.

From teacher friends, they do anyway :lol:
  • Ironherb those experts reckon there’s little impact with keeping children together. Unfortunately children can get it, have no symptoms but pass it on.
    Even then there’s a big difference to having 50,000 plus people in a football stadium. On a sobering thought 758 died in England on the last stat so probably over 800 in the UK.
  • From the BBC regarding clubs position regarding the virus and pay

“All staff are being paid their full salaries and working from home, while their casual and matchday employees are also being paid as normal. The club are also supporting requests from employees who wish to volunteer for the NHS.

Manager David Moyes has told the Premier League he is willing to take a pay cut.“
  • It sounds like a perfect response from the club. Be it football or any other employment we are all insecure at present and there are employers who are helping alleviate that as best possible even if likely to cost them and others who are doing nothing. West Ham as an employer are ensuring their employees can avoid financial insecurity during this period. Full credit where it's due.
  • With everyone agreeing that the integrity of the league cannot possibly maintained, it seems like the authorities have decided in for a penny in for a pound.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52208435
  • Can we do it retrospectively? :lol:
  • We should just do a massive five a side tournament at Wembley when everyone's allowed outside again
  • 1. Grealish
    2. Kyle Walker
    3. Mourinho + Spurs players

Who's next.

Place your bets. In a non-gambling way, of course.

Winner gets :ale: :redwine: :coffee: :cappuccino:
  • MrsGrey said:

1. Grealish
    2. Kyle Walker

Who's next.

James Milner
  • Mark Noble, and the like, seem like good people.
    However, like many I am going off football. It is quite simple IMHO. If any football club looks like going to the wall, and people will lose their livelihoods, why can’t those players who “love the game” in the top leagues save a team in the lower leagues - 10% of their salaries would save many clubs. It is also because of these clubs that we fell in love with the game, and why our bigger clubs are awash with money from us fans.
    If they finish the season behind closed doors, they are as good as saying the fans don’t matter to the future of the clubs and the game.TV is not football, andI I struggle to go to many live games so welcome my TV fix. I miss sport like many here, but forget football and focus on the good people in this country, and what we will need to ‘normalise’ the situation when this is all over.
  • MrsGrey said:

1. Grealish
    2. Kyle Walker

Who's next.

Grealish