Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• Sad to see Norman Hunter has succumbed to Covid19. RIP :poppy:
  • :poppy: Bite your legs hunter ,those were the days :poppy:
  • edited April 2020
    Saw him quite a few times when I was dragged to Elland Rd by the northern branch of the family

:poppy:
  • Peter Bonetti,And now Norman hunter ,..Shame about there teams but loved the players :poppy: :poppy:
  • edited April 2020
    Whenever we lose an old time player it inevitably leads you to wonder how they would get on in today's game. Without doubt Norman Hunter would be weaker for having his aggression nullified by better refereeing but he did have ability also. I suspect that the technical ability has progressed and fitness levels that would leave them looking a bit limited if transported into the modern game, but no doubt the raw ability for the game would see them excel if able to benefit from the greater fitness know how and coaching. I think George Best would have always been the main attraction whenever he played.
  • edited April 2020
    BBC says that the Premier League clubs didn't discuss finishing the season by 30 June and still intend to play the remaining games at some point.

Apart from player contracts expiring on 30 June it seems that Liverpool, Watford and Newcastle have contract agreements to change kit manufacturers on that date.

Imagine all the Scouse fans trying desperately to get hold of the new shirt between matches :whistle:
  • They may have to get Barbour or Burberry to do special runs for them Aslef!
  • Dodger58 said:

They may have to get Barbour or Burberry to do special runs for them Aslef!

Well they don't seem to be doing anything else at the moment. :hmm:
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52405305

West Ham United boss Moyes became a volunteer delivery driver after noticing an advert in his local grocer.
  • He's preparing for the push then... :biggrin:
  • Could be in a right stew there
  • Always wise to have a plan B to fall back upon - fair play to him though :ok:
  • I wonder what his CELERY was for the job. :yercoat:
  • probably small potatoes to his normal pay packet
  • Well I heard he’d been scouting in Brussels
  • Then I’d heard he’d walked out of his driving job cus he didn’t get paid think that was the tip of the iceberg
  • Could be worse could have been watching the spuds
  • Against the backdrop of a national ban on events before 1 September, the Dutch league has been abandoned. No promotion, no relegation, no champions.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52418048
  • I bet the Hammers would agree to that. :thumbsup:
  • It's total radish I tell you 😁
  • Oh peas lettuce stop the puns. :whistle:
  • And least if it’s door step delivery he ain’t got to climb the Apple and pears
  • Well that was a turnip for the books
  • I see that FIFA are proposing allowing 5 subs if play resumes to complete seasons to avoid player burnout. I thought they were averse to changing rules during a season. If this happens it will also mean that the last 9 games of the season are played more advantageously to the previous 30 or so.
    It seems they’ll try anything to chase money.
  • edited April 2020
    The Standard says West Ham are allowing players who don't have gardens or safe access to green space to train at Rush Green on their own for an hour at a time.

They have to bring their own equipment and they aren't allowed into the buildings so they have to change and shower at home.

Shhhhh. Don't tell Wilshere...
  • edited April 2020

I see that FIFA are proposing allowing 5 subs if play resumes to complete seasons to avoid player burnout. I thought they were averse to changing rules during a season. If this happens it will also mean that the last 9 games of the season are played more advantageously to the previous 30 or so.
    It seems they’ll try anything to chase money.

Well, IF it gets implemented, it will be optional, for national leagues to decide if that's what they want to do.

And as for being averse to changing rules during a season, I think we can all agree that this is a season like no other. I personally wouldn't criticize anyone for showing flexibility, under the circs. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I'd rephrase your penultimate sentence to 'If this happens it will also mean that the last 9 games of the season are played under totally different circumstances compared to the previous games'.
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52439018

Top-flight clubs will meet on Friday to discuss options for the restart.

The PL is hopeful of a potential 8 June restart and finishing at the end of July.

Talks to see what is realistic and practical, in conjunction with other sports.

All of it subject to govt guidelines and medically-acceptable 'health protocols'
  • What if one footballer gets Coronavirus? (heaven forbid). is the whole league cancelled? is that team disadvantaged? For me they should null and void the season and start next season afresh. i think Liverpool are clear winners of the prem.
  • Yeah, good idea, then the Hammerers will not be relegated. :ok:
  • France has cancelled their football season. Looking more and more unlikely the Prem will resume.