Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• It's a fair point about whether clubs actually have the money and are just trying to take advantage of either the govt/outrage against players. But then I'd like to see the PFA show some solidarity with non-playing staff instead of just sticking by their own principle.
  • IronHerb said:

Hancock answered a straight question with a yes. Didn't blame footballers for anything. Townsend needs to stick to punditry.

Think u have the wrong Townsend :lol:
    Fair point, well made. :biggrin:
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52148955

So I now want to know what they would do with this money. :hmm:
  • I think the football authorities are acting abysmally in all this. With over 55000 dead so far and this likely to exceed well over 100,000 within the next couple of months they shouldn’t even be discussing if and when to resume playing.
    When this is all over then that is the time to start talking in earnest. UEFA are now warning leagues that if they follow Belgium’s example and just declare it finished they may be denied entry into the European competitions.
    Money, money money is all football cares about.
  • Perhaps they are trying to save an industry.
  • You'd hope they reacted by all refusing to play. A disgusting ultimatum from UEFA.
  • edited April 2020
    It's not UEFA acting unilaterally. It's a joint announcement by the organisations representing the leagues and the clubs as well.

And it's not an ultimatum really, I wouldn't say. They have announced that they 'reserve the right to assess the entitlement of clubs to be admitted'

I'd have thought many clubs would be keen to see a review of who gets into the European comps if a league gets terminated half way through. Belgium's situation is interesting because the current league leader can't be caught, so their 'win' is indisputable. Not all leagues are in the same situation.

• Money, money money is all football cares about.

A tad exaggerated?

The Pl clubs have just announced a donation of £125m to the EFL and National League to help their clubs through the crisis, plus £20m to support the NHS, communities, families and vulnerable groups.

And we really don't have to look very far to find many examples of clubs, managers and players doing good things to help during the pandemic.
  • Mrs G I meant the football authorities.
  • Surely it doesn't matter what the FA or anyone else wants in regard to playing it. The fact being that even behi
    MrsGrey said:

It's not UEFA acting unilaterally. It's a joint announcement by the organisations representing the leagues and the clubs as well.

And it's not an ultimatum really, I wouldn't say. They have announced that they 'reserve the right to assess the entitlement of clubs to be admitted'

I'd have thought many clubs would be keen to see a review of who gets into the European comps if a league gets terminated half way through. Belgium's situation is interesting because the current league leader can't be caught, so their 'win' is indisputable. Not all leagues are in the same situation.

You just void this season across all European teams and those that were in the competitions this year are in it next year.
  • That would solve the problem.

Might create a few others though :biggrin:
  • MrsGrey said:

That would solve the problem.

Might create a few others though :biggrin:

Can't see any problems at all. Fair all round I would say.
  • edited April 2020
    Moojor said:

Surely it doesn't matter what the FA or anyone else wants in regard to playing it. The fact being that even behi

MrsGrey said:

You just void this season across all European teams and those that were in the competitions this year are in it next year.
    100% it really is very simple

It’s only the football authorities that are complicating it
  • edited April 2020
    I'm beginning to think about how superfluous football is and how the coronavirus pandemic is maybe forcing us to be weaned off it.

Maybe we'll realise how ridiculous it is to pay obscene amounts of money to watch people (admittedly very fit people) kick a ball around.
    To see players whose car collection could build a new hospital wing while NHS staff can't get tested for the virus or even get the appropriate PPE offends and sickens me.

Maybe we'll start to say to Sky and all of the other money-grabbing organisations that Bill Shankley was wrong when he said "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Maybe we'll realise that the inherent tribalism in supporting your team is not a particularly healthy thing.

Maybe we'll find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon, like talk to the wife :biggrin: .
    Personally, I've started to read (and re-read) some of my book collection to entertain myself and, you know what, I'm not missing football at all.
    And as an added bonus I'm not depressed after the weekend following our customary defeat.

But in spite of all the above

:scarf: :scarf:

• Sorry but...

Since the first case of Coronavirus was confirmed in the UK 63 days ago there have been 3611 related deaths

In the 246 days of the Blitz around 43000 people were killed

Within a few years of the war ending things had returned to pretty much to how they were before 1939 with football being played as if nothing had happened.

I am not expecting that the Coronavirus will lead to any seismic changes to society and the way we live our lives.

At the end of the war we had an election, Labour won and created the NHS.

When this is over we won't have an election until 2024 by which time everyone will have forgotten about how useless Boris was.
  • edited April 2020

Well, dozens of clubs in the lower leagues don't think it is that simple.
  • Aslef, I don't think you can compare the relationship between football and society just after the war with how it is now.
  • edited April 2020
    MrsGrey said:

——————————

Well that’s a problem with football.

At the end of the day there is nothing complicated about this. We have no choice. We are not going to be able to play until August at the earliest so whether we void it or not, it is gonna have severe financial implications in the meantime, either way, for clubs, the same way it will for businesses.

Football really needs to get over itself to be honest.
  • I read this morning that UEFA have lifted their ban on live 3pm Saturday matches after the FA and SFA requested it be lifted for when they start playing behind closed doors.
  • Tell you what though. After all his complaints about fixture congestion I bet Klopp won't mind playing nine games in a month this time around.
  • edited April 2020

I read this morning that UEFA have lifted their ban on live 3pm Saturday matches after the FA and SFA requested it be lifted for when they start playing behind closed doors.

There is no way behind closed doors games will happen. It is just noise from the top bodies to keep the footballers believing they may finish the season.

If it’s behind closed doors, then it means it is not safe. Can you imagine if a footballer or member of staff then caught the virus & tragically passed away?
  • edited April 2020
    Controversial as it might seem. :ok: I coach a local Under 14's team and the local FA sent out an update yesterday stating that although this season is now finished they were still trying to honour the latter stages of the County Cups and more importantly to the discussion about promotion/relegation were going to ensure that next year the teams that were either too strong or weak to stay in their current league would be promoted or relegated based on where they were when the season closed. I know it isn't that important but do have some sympathy for teams like Jersey who had won all their league games and need to be put up a level. There are others who meet this criteria aswell.
  • edited April 2020
    I keep agreeing with you Lukerz. It just seems so obvious to cancel it all. Yes, there'll be a financial fall out, but surely there's enough money in the game (broadcasters, owners etc) to find a way through and support the teams that face the biggest threats.

Yes, it'll be tough on Liverpool, on West Brom on Leeds and half a dozen other clubs that are looking at promotion throughout the leagues, but come on, this situation is literally a case of life or death for some people.
  • edited April 2020
    MrsGrey said:

——————————
    Well that’s a problem with football.

Football really needs to get over itself to be honest.
    Lukerz, I don't disagree, I was just pointing out that it's not just the 'authorities' but clubs, individual players and associations too, at all levels, sizes and degrees of wealth, that are against the 'simple' option.

Football is no different from all the other sectors we have seen that are trying to avoid a worst-case scenario for themselves, their staff and their future existence. The airline industry is asking for state aid, plus relaxation of rules and taxes... retailers asking for landlords to suspend rent charges, wholesalers seeking tax relief on unsold stock etc

• The PFA has said that players taking a 30% pay cut will harm the NHS as it would equate to £500M so a £200M loss in tax revenues.
    Also the PL say that they face a £762M penalty if the season is voided. Presumably that’s refunds to the tv companies.
    Proof that the health and or death of people is secondary to the football authorities and money is the be all and end all.
  • How do you work that out. If they are pointing out that a cut is a bad idea because it will harm the NHS.....
  • edited April 2020
    A pay cut will benefit the clubs only.

It won't save any lives.
  • Mrs G the PFA have been against a pay cut all the time this has been going on. They’ve only just mentioned the tax revenues as if what we read each season is true most players have schemes set up to avoid tax such as image rights through offshore companies.
  • If they play and someone gets badly injured, they will end up in hospital taking up valuable resource and at risk of catching covid as our hospitals are overwhelmed with the staff doing a magnificent job without self inflicted injuries by playing a sport that is actually non essential
  • So, according to the PFA, footballers tax only goes to pay for the NHS. :hmm: