International Matches - September 2019 and October 2019

Comments

• IronHerb said:

alderz said:

Sadly, I find this is what England fans are now. Extremely critical, breaking down young players’ confidence, weirdly entitled and completely lacking in support and perspective.

It’s a young and vibrant team that has won every single game in qualifying until now and reached the WC semi-finals. But rather than cheering them on, there’s nothing but slating and moaning.

Is it really any wonder England players are afraid to express themselves when they are so quickly crucified and criticised by supports and press.

Rice would have been happier staying as a star for Ireland, IMO.

This isn’t just an England thing, IMO. Every time any team loses you don’t have to wait long to see hoards of their fans going enormously overboard with criticism. I think it’s probably a social media thing, with people having more access to other people’s rants helping them to also worsen their perspective.
    Well you see that often enough on this board too.
    I was sort of getting at that, but didn’t want to call out the forum!
  • I don’t see any overboard criticism on this site. Some people will call out a poor performance when they see it. Each to their own I suppose though.
  • If I ever want to see overboard criticism I have a quick look at the fighting cockerel forum and there's been a fair bit of it this season. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Weren't people just doing that in pubs before social media? I come across stupider opinions in real life than I do on the internet, to be honest.
  • edited October 2019

I come across stupider opinions in real life than I do on the internet, to be honest.

You must be very discriminating in your online activity :biggrin:

• Outcast.....or go to some dodgy pubs... :yercoat:
  • All the pundits seem to be going for Mings, Barkley and Winks replacing Keane, Mount and Rice tonight.
  • edited October 2019
    Which would be fair enough assuming he is going for a change of system. However, if Henderson is meant to be the lone DM, I think Rice is the better option for that position.
  • The talk is that Rice is ill anyway.
  • Is that ill-ill, or James Maddison ill? :whistle:
  • I'll have a fiver on ill-ill. :biggrin:
  • Apparently he has a cold but was told not to bother training. Southgate though has said he is available for selection if needed.
  • Surprising to look up the stats that England have not played Northern Ireland since 2005 ? surely a decent friendly game there with minimal travel ?

We've played Wales / Scotland / Republic of Ireland a few times in the last few years.
  • Rice on the bench
  • We are in a local bar having a BBQ and local beer.

The football is on too.

• I can see Southgate using a system that suits Winks and the media will be all over the thoughts that Winks is a far better option than Rice.
  • Poor goalkeeping for that goal.
  • Keeping an eye on the updates.

Yarmo scores for Ukraine v Portugal :goal:
  • MrsGrey said:

Keeping an eye on the updates.

Yarmo scores for Ukraine v Portugal :goal:

Was it with his left foot? :lol:
  • I can see Southgate using a system that suits Winks and the media will be all over the thoughts that Winks is a far better option than Rice.

Rice needs a breather. It will do him good.

He is 20 years old. A lot has happened for him over the last year or so.

Get off his back, let Winks play a few games & he will be back stronger.

In the meantime, we benefit from him being wrapped in cotton wool.
  • edited October 2019
    Well I think Winks played well and showed what he offers compared to Rice.

But Bulgaria are rubbish when we play good teams we need someone that does what Rice does.

But if Rice can develop a 30 yard pass he will be one super player...
  • Luke nobody’s getting on his back but merely saying how the media will view it. Your suggestion seems to be wait until after next years Euros before giving him another game. There’s only 4 more before they start.
  • Henderson kicks the ball into touch and Clive Tyldesley says "just beyond Sterling".

Some players can do no wrong. :doh:
  • We are in a local bar having a BBQ and local beer.

The football is on too.

• edited October 2019

Well I think Winks played well and showed what he offers compared to Rice.

But Bulgaria are rubbish when we play good teams we need someone that does what Rice does.

But if Rice can develop a 30 yard pass he will be one super player...

Trouble is England didn't even need a defensive midfielder. Not one that was needed to make tackles and break up play anyway. I like winks but this game is no game to compare players imo. It was a breeze. Also the last game was more set up to suit Winks. He often plays as a DM with another player (according to a podcast I listen to). Imo Rice and Winks would have been more suited to each others games if you know what I mean.
  • Rice will come back stronger and only get better imo
  • Henderson is banned for the next game, so perhaps Rice will be back in the starting 11 quicker than he thought....
  • I think if Rice had played last night he would have looked quality as he would of had loads of time and space to play his passes and little defending to do . I am sure if Winks has a bad game soon the press will be calling for Rice again. Plenty of the players who played rubbish against the Czech's were suddenly brilliant again against Bulgaria