Hammers ⚒ v Man City - “AND IT’S LIVE”

Comments

• Good first 20 minutes, then men against teenagers for the rest of the first half, then back to the usual men against boys for the second half. Glad we tried to go for it by playing 4 attacking players but Wilshire looked out of his depth, although Antonio, Lanzini and Anderson did not track back enough to help him and Rice. Lanzini in particular looked lightweight.
    Against the top 6 teams we may have to go with a midfield 3 of Rice, Noble and Snodgrass (or dare I say Sanchez) to stand any chance of getting a point. But Haller showed promise and Fornals was OK, so I feel we should have enough to get points off the rest of the teams.
  • Pellegrini certainly shows his tactical naivety in games like this.
  • We have the ball away cheaply a lot Lanzini especially Fabianski dropped a kick straight to Man City which led to a goal hopefully we can cut these errors out but Man City will punish you
  • edited August 2019
    Apart from him going down a bit easy I thought Lanzini was one of our better players :hmm:
  • Just got back from the game. City are just slightly ahead of us. I would say around £500 million better. If it hadn’t been us playing them, it would have been a pleasure to watch.
  • edited August 2019
    Sadly Pellegrini just simply refuses to look at who we are playing against, It's the same tactics whoever we play, this IMO is very poor, and rather prehistoric in thinking, this is his major downfall and sadly while he remains our manager will always affect us...all IMO of course.
  • It is just pathetic really . We need a captain who leads and is a first choice by right.
    We have no players with guts or any sort of fight , lanzini , Anderson etc win games against poor teams.
    Pellegrini has added nothing to West Ham and it will be another season hoping there are a few worse teams than us.
    It is surprising that we get thrashed so often and still manage to stay up.
    Wilshere is just the same as Noble , what does Pellegrini see in him ? Unless we get a strong midfield leader we will never improve and will get thrashed regularly.
  • Personally judging the team against Man City is pointless they are so far ahead of everyone else and I think they will win the league comfortably again this year
  • We started out last season playing an attacking 4-2-3-1, we lost the opening game to Liverpool 4-0 and lost the next 3 games.

For the fifth game we switched to a 4-3-3 and beat Everton 2-1.

I admire Pellegrini's belief in playing attacking football, Greenwood had the same belief but we need a pragmatic approach not to just stick with the same formation and hope for the best.

Also Lanzini falls over too often, it was getting embarrassing.
  • PLF, I do not judge this game on a whole, that hit's the nail on the head for me, our "so called top tier manager " only has 1 tactic, and IMO it does not change who we play against, IMO this is so one dimensional its sometimes embarrassing...
  • Hamstew said:

Apart from him going down a bit easy I thought Lanzini was one of our better players :hmm:

A bit easy! I think the lad may have an inner ear infection.

I was very aggravating his chose to go to ground rather than fight for or play the ball.
  • Pearces

It isn’t pointless judging the team against city. We should have improved over the summer . We have a striker that cost 45 million!!! However the results don’t change . We lack fight and organisation so unless we play teams who are poor we don’t win. It is the same each season.
    We lack leadership on the pitch and tactically we are very poor
  • We're still on to get the minimum points expected over the first 6 games for those who posted.

It's not about one game.
  • Lukerz said:

Pellegrini certainly shows his tactical naivety in games like this.

You don’t win league titles like he as with tactical naivety I believe that his harsh, as many people have said city will score five or more against better teams than us, our season will not be defined by that result believe me
  • Man City bought two £60 million players so you could argue they improved more than us . We have played one game against the champions let’s leave a few games before writing the season off
  • Nobody’s writing the season off but more expressing frustration that we never seem to learn from our mistakes and repeat them over and over again. How many times do we attack then slow down, lose the ball and then the opponents stroll through and have a chance to score. It’s not just against City. Our midfield and defence don’t seem to know where each other are. Looks like Fab may have to have another HOTY season.
  • Hamstew said:

A bit easy! I think the lad may have an inner ear infection.

I was very aggravating his chose to go to ground rather than fight for or play the ball.
    Agreed but I thought he wanted the ball and at least run at city more than the other midfielders.
  • Thornbury

You summed it up perfectly for me . We don’t learn and we never change.
  • Can anybody see Wolves, Leicester or Everton losing 0-5 to City in their home fixtures against them? I can’t.
  • Watford, Saints on the other hand....
  • Their bench today cost about £20m less than our entire match day squad, and that included Foden who cost £0.

Anyway, somewhat disappointing, although against a great Man City side. We still don't retain any possession and lack real pace that seems to be everywhere in the City team.
    Haller is a handful and looks the real deal, along as we can supply him!

We only conceded 4 goals in the league on two occasions last year so at least that's one of them out of the way. :biggrin:
  • If we want to progress though Suzanne, we should be trying to achieve better than the Hornets & Saints IMO...
  • We're still on to get the minimum points expected over the first 6 games for those who posted.

It's not about one game.

:whistle:
  • If we want to progress though Suzanne, we should be trying to achieve better than the Hornets & Saints IMO...

Agreed, however I was nearly providing a ying to Luke’s yang.

It's not about one game.

:whistle:
    You're on the naughty step, you.
  • One word - laughable
  • I watched the game, I'm not happy with the result but we have 37 games to deal with the outcome. No one game is going to be harder apart from Man City away and we don't have to worry about that until Boxing Day.

I live in Manchester, work with City fans all day, believe me, if I can deal with it, the players will deal with it and win the next game. Up the Irons!
  • Sadly Pellegrini just simply refuses to look at who we are playing against, It's the same tactics whoever we play, this IMO is very poor, and rather prehistoric in thinking, this is his major downfall and sadly while he remains our manager will always affect us...all IMO of course.

The same tactics that are on his YouTube tactic video!
  • How did Watford get on IBL?
This discussion has been closed.