Pre-season Schedule and games

Comments

• Arsenal had 18 points more than us least season, AND got to the Europa League final. It’s more than just experience.
  • OCS,

Why would any of our players be top 6 quality? We aren’t too 6 and we’re nowhere near it.

Sorry but cannot agree with that, we want to compete around the few just outside top 6, and IMO the only thing that Arsenal have over us IMO is experience, player for player on paper, I'm not sure Arsenal are better than us...
    Competing with the few outside the top 6 is very different from being top 6.

We’re years away from being top 6, and I think anybody expecting it sooner is going to be disappointed.
  • They might well have Adam, well spotted!, I'm just saying if you listed all the players down would Arsenal really have the better squad?? I am not sure, I still think its more the case of been there done that, and we haven't , but with the squad we have and this " top " manager that so many think, we shoiuld be doing that bit better, and its got nothing to do with this Asia trophy comp, just IMO in general....
  • So we have lost to one of the pre season favourites to go down even though it was a friendly! We need to prioritise a dynamic CDM to help Declan out which IMHO will help make the defence look slightly more secure. I am sure Pelle will have recognised this and expect a new signing to come in shortly. :pray:
  • So we would play with two CDMs?
  • grey,

Noble hasn't got the legs to go from box to box, if we ask Declan to sit in front of the back four then we need to find a player who can help defend but is also able to offer a threat at the other end of the pitch, Can Jack do this?
  • You can forget Wolves in this “tournament” because they’ve been training for at least 3 weeks more than us because of their European qualifiers coming up soon.
  • Wolves play next Thursday :ok:

Will be interesting to see if this season they suffer the curse of the Europa League.
  • Adam said:

Arsenal had 18 points more than us least season, AND got to the Europa League final. It’s more than just experience.

Not to mention around £100m worth of strikers.

#justsayin
  • IH I agree about that, their 2 strikers are top, but the rest? :hmm:
  • I’m with you on that jay. :ok:
  • edited July 2019

IH I agree about that, their 2 strikers are top, but the rest? :hmm:

I'd have Xhaka> Sanchez and Obiang
    Bellerin>Fredericks
    Leno>Roberto
    Mkhitarian>Lanzini
  • Hugill playing for the U23s today.
  • Fair enough Mrs G, although 2 of your players are not regular in the starting 11( Roberto will be no 2 & Obiang ( if stays & Sanchez, lets hope will not be in starting 11 )....
  • So, Fulham next is it? The fitness should be coming along by now so I'd like to see Pellegrini play his best eleven and get them gelled.

Problem with that is will Fornals, Masuaku and Balbuena be available? Haller has had some pre-season with Frankfurt so I'd expect him to feature, but the other three won't be up to pace.
  • edited July 2019
    The three late arrivals will be joining up with the squad for training on Monday. So (bearing in mind that they have had a short break and so not lost too much fitness) might they get 45 mins? Or the possibility of giving them the last 20 mins...

So, Fulham next is it? The fitness should be coming along by now so I'd like to see Pellegrini play his best eleven and get them gelled..

imo the priority still has to be to get everyone up to peak fitness, rather than 'getting them gelled'.
  • I dont see why we cant do both

We've had 3 preseason games now, with only 3 more to go yet we look wayyy off the pace

We can give the team about 60 mins now before ringing the changes, but the majority of those should be the strongest team we could put out

Fab
    Frederick's - Diop - Reid - Cresswell
    - Noble - Rice - Wilshere -
    Yarmo - Haller - Anderson

Need to sort out the system now, not once we've played Man City
  • I dont see why we cant do both

We've had 3 preseason games now, with only 3 more to go yet we look wayyy off the pace

We can give the team about 60 mins now before ringing the changes, but the majority of those should be the strongest team we could put out

Fab
    Frederick's - Diop - Reid - Cresswell
    - Noble - Rice - Wilshere -
    Yarmo - Haller - Anderson

Need to sort out the system now, not once we've played Man City

I agree although I think Johnson should be playing instead of Cresswell.

He made his debut against City and looked decent as well as not looking out of place against City in this pre season tournament.
  • Are we changing the system?
  • edited July 2019
    Does anyone still use gel? :biggrin:
  • Colgate Blue Minty Gel.
  • edited July 2019
    Deep Heat Gel for my lumbago.
  • Grey, How’s your wife’s lumbago? :quaver:
  • Mustn't grumble...
  • Not a lazy sunday afternoon for me - I'm boarding out a ceiling, not that I'm grumbling (the wife don't allow it :biggrin: )
  • Does anyone know if the rest of the preseason games will be able to be streamed?

Can you remember whether we could last season?
  • edited July 2019
    Fulham unlikely, no broadcaster listed. The Bertha game is being shown on ESPN, so might get a stream. No broadcaster for the Bilbao game so far.
  • Thanks, Grey.
  • No problem.

If I do find they are being broadcast/streamed I'll stick up a thread.
This discussion has been closed.