Brexit

Comments

• edited December 2018
    The 70's were are time of anarchy why would you want to go ba…. oh, I see your point... ;wink
  • I was thinking of long hot summers, orange flavour jublees, and spending countless hours out on me chopper bike. (A crippling mortgage was also a long ways off into the future).
  • I also saw that Mrs G thinks that "leave" would win a second vote. I`m not so sure, a lot of people I know (including myself) have lost the appetite for Brexit. Sick to death of it. It`s patently obvious that the result was a huge shock for the men in grey and they have done everything since to scupper any meaningful progress. I think that even if by some miracle leave won again it would then be best of five. And if Remain won the charmingly named "Peoples Vote" Remain would claim a one all victory.
  • Oh well. At least the football`s improved. ;scarf
  • The 70s makes me think of...

Flares. Three TV channels that closed down at midnight. Brown. The Oil Embargo and runaway inflation. Austin Allegros. IRA bombing campaign. Avocado bathroom sets. The Bay City Rollers.

The horror, the horror...
  • edited December 2018
    Welcome back Madcap.

You said
    Bubbles. You are simply trying to reinforce the myth (smear) that all Remain voters voted using their undoubted superior intelligence, logic, and their unerring ability to see through the gumph and analyse the minutiae of complex international agreements. Whereas leavers, well, they`re just a little bit thick.

No, I'm not, although take a look at the marchers on the Brexit non-march with Tommy Robinson the other day.

My brother voted Leave because he was fed up with hearing "all those foreign languages" on his rail journey into London every day.

I remember seeing a woman interviewed on the BBC after the referendum who said she voted Leave because she wanted to keep the Queen. She had confused the sovereign with sovereignty. No, really.

My opinion has always been that the economy needed to be protected since everything flows from that.
    Leading up to the referendum the Remain side stated that Brexit threatened it, whereas Leave said we'd be fine.
    Now it seems that the Remainers were right, if 98% of economists who have given their opinions are to be believed.
    The Leavers position is now that it might hurt in the short term - and that can be as much as 30 years according to Jacob Reet-Smugg.
    Fine if you're wealthy enough to have private health care, not worried about losing your job, or your house and God knows what else.

And all for what?
  • To NOT be part of the United States of Europe. Individual countries taking advantage of a common market when mutually beneficial is fine. "I rather like that French Champagne"......."Fine, Monsieur Madcap, have a crate or two and that will be fourteen French Francs". "And by the way monsieur, your Sheffield steel is the finest steel this side of some other place that makes fine steel"........"Certainly Pierre, a full 8 piece dinner service will be fourteen English pounds". It doesn`t need to be more complicated or intrusive than that, does it?
  • No one knows what damage, if any, will happen to the economy. No one. I do agree that the likelihood is that the economy will suffer a setback. It suffered a setback the last time the banks got a little greedy. It tends to suffer a setback when we decide to go to war. It can suffer a setback on the whim of a billionaire. Economies suffer setbacks, economies shrink and grow. What no one knows is how long the economy will shrink, all economic forecasts can and should be taken with a pinch of salt. I don`t trust economic experts, I don`t trust long range forecasts. Every quarterly (QUARTERLY) forecast tends to be adjusted up or down. How can JRM talk about what happens in 30 years. Complete and utter nonsense to predict what our economy will be like in thirty years.
  • Oh yeah, as you posted earlier:

Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa Laa and Po have made a great success of Teletubbyland. An autonomous region that is self sustaining, eco friendly, and anti authoritarian. It sits on the edge of Europe and trades quite freely with its neighbours. It can be done.
  • Whoever stands for tariff free trade in tubby custard get my vote.
  • Vorse, re your post about BFS, I think the Brexit debacle might be a bridge too far even for his prodigious talents. ;biggrin
  • Moojor said:

imagelost said:

I want out,,,, 10 15 years ago I would voted to stay in , but not now

eu just take take take prop up Greece Portugal and so on, then get told uk will have the in 5 years, the red tape to get out
    Also interest rates set by the country I live in

So who sets our interest rates? Because a quick google seems to show it being set by the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee
    Brussels would will al powers
  • MrsGrey said:

The bail out for Greece as far as I know did not include mandatory contributions from ourselves as we have an opt out.

We cannot be forced to accept the Euro against our wishes and do set our own interest rates.

This sort of thing depresses the hell out of me. How many people voted Leave on the basis of facts that were just 100% wrong.

I get that opinions will differ as to whether the trade deals we can negotiate on our own will be better/worse than a trade deal negotiated as part of a larger group, or whether immigrants are a good/bad thing.

But for crying out loud - why vote to Leave in order to get the power to do something you can do something that you already have the power to do. ;doh
    Where do get your info
  • what info?
  • Image the points you make seem to me to actually point out what a good deal we get with the EU as your complaints actually do apply to most but not ourselves.

The bail out for Greece as far as I know did not include mandatory contributions from ourselves as we have an opt out.

We cannot be forced to accept the Euro against our wishes and do set our own interest rates.

We are also opted out of Schengen zone so could not be forced to take refugees against our will.

And we also hold a veto so could prevent the dreaded by some Euro army.

We most likely had the most gold plated membership their was.

The EU is far from perfect and will need reform to survive and it could collapse anyhow in ten years time, but the position we were in I cannot see how you can gain by deliberately giving yourself worse trading relations than you currently have. Trade is global now and trade decides your economy full stop, so we will be poorer in my view as the power house of any nation is the economy. It's also of note that we rely upon financial services and if that starts to get picked off we have no substantial manufacturing base to rely on, we could become the poor man of Europe as we have massive debt to service and rely upon tax receipts to do so. The other issue is the moment our rate of borrowing goes up we could be pretty much finished in even attempting to service our debt, we lost our triple AAA the day after Brexit I believe, Junk is not too far away in worst case scenarios.

I was one 1st into Bosnia, when the cleansing was going on,
    The lack of support from Europe,

artillery layed and loaded on villages
    I will not go on about that
    The cons sold off most companies what do uk really own that makes money?

And you can take the QE 2 bridge , said to be free toll after its paid for, instead we sell it

Tell me some thing good about Europe
  • I did read comments
    Me and me imaginary 2000 to 3000 people I know still want out , just coz must are silent doesn’t mean that gone away
  • JC is not helping matters either regarding a second vote (aka People's Vote). Pity Keir Starmer is not Labour's leader.

James cleavely ;cheers
  • I would like to “thank the ”””mods “””” on this tricky subject
  • edited December 2018
    imagelost said:

What happened in that region was unconscionable. I can't even imagine what it must have been like to witness 1st hand.

However, it is over-simplifying to lay responsibility for that at the door of the EU. And also over-simplifying to to make it a single-issue decision. Although I do understand if someone's personal experience leads them to do so. But then it is important (again, imo) to acknowledge that a decision is being made very narrowly and emotionally. Which is fine. Perfectly valid.

But not (again, imo) the way we should be deciding national policy that will have such far-reaching and long-lasting impacts.
  • May-bot survive confidence vote.
  • edited December 2018
    Well that should put JRM well and truly back in his box.

It seems BoJo's haircut was in vain, too.

And I suspect Gove has crawled back under his stone for a sulk, the duplicitous little toad.
  • edited December 2018
    Love her or loathe her, she's got, how can I phrase this so it gets past the mods, more of the male dangly bits than the piece of custard-coloured slime that preceded her.

I'm now expecting a private message ;biggrin
  • MrsGrey said:

imagelost said:

What happened in that region was unconscionable. I can't even imagine what it must have been like to witness 1st hand.

However, it is over-simplifying to lay responsibility for that at the door of the EU. And also over-simplifying to to make it a single-issue decision. Although I do understand if someone's personal experience leads them to do so. But then it is important (again, imo) to acknowledge that a decision is being made very narrowly and emotionally. Which is fine. Perfectly valid.

But not (again, imo) the way we should be deciding national policy that will have such far-reaching and long-lasting impacts.
    TBA
    What want on there ,,,Europe I felt tryed to brush it a side,,, but the Red Cross are just / was as bad if not worse,
  • edited December 2018
    Bubbles, If you are referring to grit, determination, resilience, confidence and all round 'front' ... please note that these are not male characteristics. So let's not equate them with male physiology, chromosomes or trousers.

Thank you

;biggrin

(PS. I still loath her and all she stands for.)
  • imagelost said:

MrsGrey said:

imagelost said:

TBA
    What want on there ,,,Europe I felt tryed to brush it a side,,, but the Red Cross are just / was as bad if not worse,
    Just deleted lot of stuff
    PTS and so on
    Also been to combodia
  • imagelost said:

imagelost said:

MrsGrey said:

imagelost said:

TBA
    Just deleted lot of stuff
    PTS and so on
    Also been to combodia
    This is brexit thread
  • MrsGrey said:

If you are referring to grit, determination, resilience, confidence and all round 'front' ... please note that these are not male characteristics. So let's not equate them with male physiology, chromosomes or trousers.

Thank you

;biggrin

(PS. I still loath her and all she stands for.)

She not on your Xmas card list then ;wahoo
  • edited December 2018
    Glad she won the vote of confidence.

However, the self indulgence of so many MP's, and clear manoeuvres by some individuals (JRM), is awful.

I can see some interesting conversations with the in-laws over Christmas dinner!
  • MrsGrey, by your smiley, you know what I mean.

All the characteristics you mention, my wife has them in abundance, and puts me to shame.

;ok
  • She should never have got the position in the first place, and was only when the weasel went against Boris Johnson and scuppered his chance, imo boris and I’m not saying he’d have made a better pm but I believe we wouldn’t be pussy footing around with the out campaign we’d be out now as the vote was meant for, now I think she and the rest of the em as made us more of a laughing stock than we were, people will still want to trade with us imo no matter wether we pull out or not but we’ve bowed down when we should have said bye and meant bye