Brexit

Comments

• How do you track fake news though ?

How does Facebook govern what is fake and what is not ?

In that Channel 4 link Grey posted Leave.EU accuse Channel 4 of fake news ? so who is right and who is wrong, does someone investigate it ? therefore whilst it is being investigated does the news from any accusation of "Fake news" then get removed until it has been investigated.
  • Yeold

There's no doubt it's complex, but I don't think that is an excuse for doing nothing.

• It stays up while it's being investigated, and once there's evidence that it's fake, it gets taken down.

For example, in the case you give, LeaveEU's 'evidence' against Ch4 is simply an allegation, with nothing to back it up. I don't call that fake news as long as it is clear that the statement is just an allegation and LeaveEU don't try to claim it is 'fact'.

On the other hand, some things are simple to prove/disprove and can be done so without a big debate.

I don't disagree that some issues/reports might be not clear cut.

My gripe is mainly with the FB decision simply not to remove fake news... and the justification for it.
  • Is God and Christianity (other religions are available) fake news? Or is the existence of God fact?
  • Seriously, Madcap, that's the level you want to take the conversation to?
  • edited April 2019
    Religion certainly does exist, that is an undeniable fact and just to prove that fact a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses just rang my doorbell.

As the existence of God cannot be proven (or disproven) it is a "belief" not a fact.

Fake news is when someone publishes outright lies.
  • I think the point Madcap is making is that some faith-based statements are going to be acceptable on social media in our mixed society, so who decides what is acceptable and Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who watches the watchmen?

The fact that quote is 2000 years old shows that we've been struggling with similar issues for a long time. I suddenly have a strange amount of sympathy for Facebook...

I suspect education, critical reading and challenging will be more effective countermeasures than censorship. It's certainly what I'm going for with my son, rather than rely on outside protection.
  • If it's a lie, it's a lie.

It it's made as a statement of fact, and it's not true, it's false.

No debate, no quibbling.

When we talk about 'fake news' we are referring to something is deliberately made up and shared/published/promulgated with the intent of misleading and deceiving.

It's absolutely NOT the same as an expression of faith-based (or any other) belief. Nor is it the same as a view held or position taken.

I don't disagree with you about the importance of critical reading. Sadly so many people can't or won't.
  • Fake news is when someone publishes outright lies.

And the bible is.....................?

Fake news for one is gospel to another. I wholeheartedly agree with you in regards to fake news, by the way, faking photos, publishing false facts/figures etc etc etc. But the lines are very blurred and, well, see Valiant above. :ok:
  • Madcap

It is an utterly different discussion, as I am sure you are well aware.
  • What would you file people who are "Anti-Vaxxers" under, proponents of "Fake news" ? who claim it is fact that vaccinations can lead to X Y Z.
  • f they make false statements of fact in their arguments, they are promoting fake news.

Otherwise they are just a group who believes something which has no science behind it. Same as people who say eating a teaspoon of turmeric will cure diabetes, or standing in a barrel of newts at the full moon will cure cancer.
  • Fake news is when someone publishes outright lies.

If this is meant to be challenge to my definition, I can only suggest you look again.

Note 'deliberately made up'

and

'with intent to deceive'

Not the same thing at all. You are trying to shoehorn something in where it doesn't belong.
  • I don`t think it is. You may call it fake news, I like to call it propaganda. Making things up to support a narrative, a belief system, is as old as humanity.

Headline: MAN FEEDS 5000 WITH TWO FISH AND A LOAF.

It`s how power and control systems (belief systems) operate. The internet has made this situation worse, and "fake news" can be spread worldwide within a matter of hours. But this is nothing new.
  • "Fake news" is not published for the sake of it. "Fake news" is published in support of a belief system, the two things are not mutually exclusive. A fake news story is published to persuade people to believe what the author believes. Whether that is a jehovah witness, a ukipper, or a white supremacist. Fake news is nothing more nor less than propaganda, a way of manipulating beliefs.
  • edited April 2019
    I do agree that fake news is always created to support an agenda, but I suppose the argument is that if the journalist who, for example, wrote 'MAN FEEDS 5000 WITH TWO FISH AND A LOAF' genuinely believed it happened, he can't be accused of deliberately misleading people.

• OCS, very good point, this is what makes the whole thing so difficult. I do agree with Mr & Mrs G to an extent, and:

If it's a lie, it's a lie.

It it's made as a statement of fact, and it's not true, it's false.

No debate, no quibbling.

seems irrefutable, but:

JEREMY CORBYN IS AN ANTI SEMITE.

Fake news?

Who is telling the truth in the Jussie Smollett case?

I get the fact that fabricating a video to show a fake assault by a fake refugee on a fake WW2 hero (for instance) would shock most people. But at the same time all of us will happily sit and watch a ten minute party political broadcast by the Change UK party.
  • edited April 2019

Fake news is when someone publishes outright lies.

Fake news for one is gospel to another. I wholeheartedly agree with you in regards to fake news, by the way, faking photos, publishing false facts/figures etc etc etc. But the lines are very blurred and, well, see Valiant above. :ok:

Can you prove that the events listed in the gospels (or any other part of the bible) DIDN'T happen?

Yes, there are a lot of historical inaccuracies but then the gospels were written about 50-100 years after the events by people who weren't actual eyewitnesses and there's plenty written today about events in recent history that is inaccurate.

We all have beliefs, call it religion, philosophy or politics and we are all manipulated by what we read.

For example there are currently people gluing themselves to trains, they believe that will raise awareness of climate change and will convince more people to demand a more vigorous approach in environmental policy from government/s. I happen to think it won't make one iota of difference, that its childish adolescent rebellion and might actually alienate more people than it will convince but hey, I'm just a train driver.

Opinion, belief, call it what you will.
  • My takeaway, there are people gluing themselves to trains We really are doomed :doh:
  • All very interesting, but missing the point of what I was saying about FB.

They don't refuse to remove fake news because deciding what is fake news 'is complicated'.

In fact, they are happy to accept that certain things are indeed fake news.

'Yep, right, that's fake all right' - they say. 'The picture was photoshopped to show Megan Marke marching in an IRA funeral procession, and it deffo never happened.'

Then what do they do about it? They use an algorithm that simply moves the fake news down the priority list a bit.
  • So after two years of this mess, I applied for Dual Belgium Citizenship yesterday...

Never thought I would do that but can't trust this Parlement...
  • edited April 2019
    People gluing themselves to trains?

My takeaway, there are people gluing themselves to trains We really are doomed :doh:

It`s overcrowding Chicago, been happening a while over here, not enough rolling stock, so people glue themselves to trains now just to get to work. That`s privatisation for you. Country, dogs.
  • Perhaps if we take it out of our relatively tame context of Brexit, the importance of stopping fake news becomes more obvious. It has fuelled lynchings in Sri Lanka and genocide in Myanmar. A clear, direct and immediate link to violence.

It might be difficult to work out what is fake and what isn't but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be dealt with. It isn't a difficult position to take.
  • Outcast :ok: Also read some horrific stories out of India. Agree, easy position to take, almost impossible to solve. Would be easy if the internet was uninvented. But as none of us are Luddites, and yearn for simpler times, then I think we will just have to lump it.
  • Margaret Beckett says that unless Corbyn backs a second referendum Labour could lose the Euro Elections to Farage's Brexit Party.

So what? Does it matter who gets elected MEPs in May if we leave the EU in October?

Also a lot of talk from Rees-Mogg & co about the UK using the veto as a bargaining tool while we're still in the EU but as the latest Private Eye reveals there are only three issues we could use the veto on this year.

Sanctions on Russia which the UK supports, the European Defence Fund which the UK wants to have access to after Brexit and EU common defence projects which have already been agreed.

The big one, the EU 7-year budget, won't be up until next year by which time we'll have either left or will have given up on leaving.
  • Outcast :ok: Also read some horrific stories out of India. Agree, easy position to take, almost impossible to solve. Would be easy if the internet was uninvented. But as none of us are Luddites, and yearn for simpler times, then I think we will just have to lump it.

No, I don't think so. You don't put up with something because you can't solve it, you fight it along the way. You invest time and resources into trying to verify what is fake and isn't. You develop warning systems so that social posts can be detected and identified when going viral at a rapid rate so they can be investigated quickly - which should be easy when we have algorithms that can so efficiently target what they want us to see. Reacting will have to happen at different rates - a potential incitement to lynching will need rapid action while political ads can maybe take a few days.

As technology advances we have to advance with it, not just accept what it throws at us.
  • I wish I had your optimism. It`s not that I disagree, an open incitement to violence should be taken down. With the volume of "stuff" out there I just can`t see the good guys ever keeping up. From what I understand, a lot of the extreme stuff is also either hidden, coded, or possibly too "subtle" for algorithms to recognise. And again, it`s not always the obvious fake news that leads to violence or extremism. The BBC can quite openly brand Jeremy Corbyn as an anti semite, does that endanger Jeremy Corbyn?

I was also being a little flippant in an earlier comment in regards to technology. I, personally, would quite happily see the internet crash and burn. I am not sure whether some of the latest technology can be classified as "advances" and our struggle to "advance" with it sounds a bit of a misnomer to me. I do realise I am in a very small (but growing) minority with this view, but, (imo) the majority of technological "advances" produce the exact opposite. Instead of enriching our lives and advancing civilized society (which imo is the point) it appears to alienate and fracture.

The drive for technological advance should be to improve peoples lives. I think this has got lost, we are producing pointless technology, technology for profit. Rather than "advancing" with technology and looking for solutions to the problems it throws at us, why not take a step backwards and ask if the whole damn thing is worth it at all. Do the benefits of the internet outweigh the negatives?

As this is the brexit thread: Leave Means Leave.

I must dash, I have an Amazon delivery due.
  • The same channel 4 that is obsessed with nudity and shows programs such as Naked Attraction and this week had a program on school swap where they deliberately had 15 white kids put into a class of 15 Asian kids and encouraged both groups to treat the other as aliens. They were also encouraged to compile lists of the most vile racist insults they could muster.
    I wouldn’t trust channel 4 news at all. It’s even worse than the BBC