Liverpool v West Ham 13:30 12th August 2018 Match Thread

Comments

• DJ Hammer said:

Four nil always sounds worse than three nil.

But better than five nil
  • At least our pre-season prepared us better for a thrashing. ;lol
  • My bacon sandwiches were tasty
  • edited August 2018
    We were 2nd best by a mile.
    While disappointed with our performance , being realistic we won't be away up against a team that should finish in top 3 every week...
    No excuses on our side tho, we weren't great....
    Early days...
  • I woke up early to watch this game. Time to go back to bed.
  • We've been worse than 2nd best before ;wahoo
  • Well that went well. I didn’t feel the need to concentrate after 20 minutes, so I got all my ironing done. Wilshire and Nobes both felt our pain ;nonono ;weep
    I hope we can settle over the next few weeks, we have some real talent in the squad, (Italian theatrics not needed). I hope the bloke who did the first weekends fixtures gets a really deep paper cut and then peels an orange.
  • I just get the horrible feeling we will be bottom of the table going into the second game week :(

;hmm

There’ll be champagne being popped open in Colin’s household this evening as his side sits above ours
  • Arsenal city next, I have a feeling we may not be bottom :)
  • edited August 2018
    Well I guess it will be of consolation if we sit above Man City after that game is done
  • Whose idea was it for Snodgrass to defend the near post at corners. What a flick on! but someone tell him to save it for the other end. ;angry
  • OCS @ 1.50 & Preston at 2.23.

Nothing to be concerned about we still have until the transfer window closes to rectify the problem. Hang a minute we can't, not until January, & the bloke we got at the eleventh hour is supposed to be slow so won't add any dynamism to our midfield. Can't say we won't warned.
  • Although I maintain we don’t have a single DM good enough for the top half of the Prem, I don’t think Liverpool away is a fair game on which to judge this. Let’s see how good we are defensively against the likes of Bournemouth, etc
  • I for one are still confident of seeing a much improved side this season, disappointing result but against a very good side. I thought we tried to move the ball about quicker, i thought that Anderson worked hard and tracked back well. I got the feeling that against anyone other than a very top team we will do well. Too early for gloom and despondency.
  • Could it be that Pelle had written this game off as a dead cert defeat, and in light of a not very informative pre-season, decided to see what worked and what didn't, both in set-up and players.
    He's definitely got a lot to ponder on that performance.

And as I write that, Unai Emery has just suffered his first goal against. ;biggrin
  • Sanchez is going to have to be one hell of a player to fix our midfield.
  • The millions spent by Liverpool certainly seem to have led to an improvement in their defence from last season. They didn't concede a goal at home against West Ham. The attack though needs looking at - still only managed four.
  • Hard to take that much from that game, given the best attacking three have now been improved even more with Keita supplying them.

But I said before that I'm worried about the slowness of a Noble, Wilshere, Rice midfield and I think we saw they can't really stand up to fast movement.
  • slowness of a Noble ;ok
  • Sanchez is going to have to be one hell of a player to fix our midfield.

The real concern is from what has been said he isn't! ;weep
  • edited August 2018
    slowness of a Noble
    ;nonono
  • edited August 2018
    On the plus side we didn't lose at home...unlike Arsenal

The only player who came out with any credit was Fabianski who was left exposed by the hopeless defending of the players in front of him.
  • I'd add Anderson to Fabianski as players who cane out with credit.
  • I thought Yarms looked decent
  • I agree, I thought Anderson impressed.
  • McHammer said:

I thought Yarms looked decent

He’s calm on the ball and he doesn’t rush.
  • I've calmed down a bit and will concede that it's going to a little while for the team to play as we all want them to. My one real gripe and a few on here will agree, is our centre midfield is a glaring problem that is going to cost us quite few games unless we can fix it somehow.
  • If noble and rice are our first choice in the centre of the park, I would say that is going to be a problem for us in quite a few games. Our talented forward line could be starved of the ball
  • For me Wilshere deeper makes more sense, but I fear that isn’t where he wants to play.
  • I think that the disappointment is not so much we took nothing from the game but more that we failed to display too many positives.

Next week will be far more revealing with regard what can be expected going forward,the defence will be under no where near as much pressure as today which will hopefully allow us to attack more ourselves and show what we have going forward rather than just trying to limit the immense power of the opposition as we were today.
This discussion has been closed.