World Cup KO: En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land (was 'Group G')

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Did anyone notice after the penalties where Dier leapt towards Pickford who veered off leaving Dier looking like a spring lamb? A bit Kayoute like in the goal celebration against Man U. Made me ;lol
  • I was surprised about Vardy too but it turns out he had a groin knock and he was switched out for Dier. Is doubtful for the 1/4 final.
  • alderz said:

One thing that really surprised me was that Jamie Vardy didn't take a penalty. I thought he'd be one of the first up there. The stones on Marcus Rashford too.

Rumoured that Vardy had a slight groin strain - somewhere on SSN
  • alderz

I thought that about Vardy.
  • Strange that the 'easy' half of the draw resulted in a 1-0 and three penalty shootouts whereas the 'hard' half of the draw has been a goal fest. ;hmm
  • More hope of holding out for pens as a supposed weaker team
  • edited July 2018
    Having worked in the Karin America region I have a lot of Colombian friends.
    It’s amazing how many of them are posting that the game was rigged in England’s favour and how they were cheated.
    Their biggest complaints were the throw-in towards the end where Geiger pulled it back and a penalty they thought they should have got.
  • edited July 2018
    Mia

It beggars belief..
  • Was worried about the ref before the game I’ve seen him numerous times in the MLS and he’s not strong enough and never far away from an almighty mess up.

How they come to the conclusion that the head to chin is not intentional and red I just don’t know.

Thought Columbia were a disgrace personally, they didn’t come to win, they came to cheat, and possibly get through via the lottery.

I think the defence in the main has been fantastic and fair play to Stones and Walker but Maguire has been brilliant for me, the lad is a rock. Pickford done nothing wrong, Trippier was a bit unlucky with the bounce on their goal.

Deli Alli should never of started he’s clearly carrying something and rarely shows his spurs form, Sterling I can see why they’ve stuck with but he has better players round him at MCFC and they make his decisions/life easier.

Henderson solid but knew he’s miss a penalty even though it wasn’t a bad one, decent save.

I hope that game stands us in good stead for all the dirty tricks that can be applied, 3 1/2 mins to take a penalty and several players digging up the pen spot is truly awful, so glad to see them go home.

Maradona in a Colombian shirt before the game, he’s gonna have problems getting in a Sweden one that’s for sure the cheating mess.

Only gripe would’ve been the subs, Ali should’ve come off earlier but apart from that it’s all good, I love these lads they have little to no fear, it really is in their hands. Special mention to Harry Kane, you may be a spud but you’re a special player with nerves of steel

;scarveng
  • We are gonna get to the final at minimum

First time ive actually believed it this tournament

Years of west ham have ruined optimism for me....i like it ;wahoo ;wahoo
  • We really ought to put it beyond Sweden's reach before the 90th minute. I really don't want another one of These "Team XYZ equalize in the 94th minute"-scenarios.

;sofa ;sofa ;scarveng
  • I must've truly been watching a different game after reading some of the Columbian reactions this morning!

As for Maradona, I've had bad words for him since '86. I'll add attention seeking to them. He of all people should actually know what 'robbed' means though ;hmm
  • edited July 2018

This vid totally takes me back to the days off '86, '90 and' Euro '96. There were mini versions of this in CA yesterday ;biggrin

Away for 10 years but forever English...

(That allied to being West Ham... Don't we deserve some highs?)
  • Maradona helped me win the 1986 sweepstake when I was at school. On that basis, in spite of what you lot think, he still holds a special place in my affections ;lol
  • He was a great player but also a cheating druggie who's turned into a blind, anti-English cheating druggie ;angry
  • Crickey, I've just read that Fifa are paying Maradonna £10,000 a game to be their ambassador during the World Cup. ;doh
  • He was seen giving the 'fingers' to the Mexican supporters after the game....

• BBB

That was to the Nigerians supporters wasn't it?
  • I know they were playing in green.
    I am indifferent to race... ;wink
  • Think it was Nigerians he also got shouted a wave, waved smiled and the did something with his eyes mocking them. Add to that he was off his nut and had to be taken to hospital, absolute disgrace should be banned from any professional game not paid!!
  • I actually think he represents FIFA perfectly in how they run the show ;scary
  • pathman

Now you've reminded me about the 'sad but true' reaction...
  • edited July 2018
    alderz said:

One thing that really surprised me was that Jamie Vardy didn't take a penalty. I thought he'd be one of the first up there.

Apparently Vardy has a groin strain which is why he didn’t take a penalty.
  • There's a petition been launched by some Colombian bloke to have the game replayed as they, Columbia, were cheated out of victory. So far 280,000 signatures. ;lol
  • Got the beers in for tomorrow

F9A1E7E7-9E41-4937-9B8D-A2A44B1D4BF4
  • I will be out and about somewhere with my friend from West Virginia who has absolutely no interest in football. She's flying back on Sunday and is worth missing the football.

Plus it's Sweden and we will muller them.