Burnley at home - 10th March - Match Thread

Comments

• Grey, I think we may have found our middle ground, in a nutshell it is certainly agreed that the actions of the owners in no way justifies the sort of violent response we saw yesterday.

However

It is equally understandable to conclude that the actions of the owners have contributed to a widespread feeling of disillusionment amongst the fan base.

That is certainly the way I see it.

I have supported WHU for over 30 years and will not stop now, I do consider this a low point, not my first, but I actually hope that for at least the short term, the supporters will rally behind the team and we can go on from here and we may just survive this and stay up for another year.

I remain however, very fearful of the mid to long term prospects as I think the move to the LS is going to have a lasting negative effect upon us and I do not think a realistic ready made solution is on the horizon.

Just my tuppence worth
  • Cuz1 said:

Ken Bates did at both Leeds and Chelsea, derek pavis forest and Notts

So 3 ;ok
  • Chicago

But I haven't suggested your feelings are unjustified, and I haven't suggested the owners share no responsibility for those feelings.

My point was specifically directed at Posh for conflating such feelings with violent conduct.

I was simply stating a fact that violence and fan protest has now happened to our owners at both the club's they've owned.

Do you agree that this is a fact?
  • By that logic I can just walk up and smack an 80 year old man in the face.

I'm not sure how you've made that leap...
    all I've done is simply point out that the same thing has now happened to Sullivan, Gold and Brady at the 2 football clubs they have owned.

Again this is indisputable.
  • If so it just proves both clubs had mindless cretins hell bent on causing trouble. Fans do not involve themselves in violence to achieve an end.
    If you are trying to justify what happened yesterday then as far as I'm concerned you're nowhere near succeeding as such actions cannot be justified.
  • edited March 2018

If so it just proves both clubs had mindless cretins hell bent on causing trouble. Fans do not involve themselves in violence to achieve an end.
    If you are trying to justify what happened yesterday then as far as I'm concerned you're nowhere near succeeding as such actions cannot be justified.

I've said many times already that fans running on the pitch is wrong as is anyone using violence....but I will state again that it is simply a fact that it has happened to them twice now. They have clearly annoyed 2 sets of fans in a way in which either violence, protest(both outside and inside the stadium), chanting, banners and even people setting up groups to raise their concerns have taken place.

Once more I'm simply stating a fact.
  • Cuz1 said:

Ken Bates did at both Leeds and Chelsea, derek pavis forest and Notts

So 3 ;ok
    You asked a question, I mearly answered it, I’d say just because it as happened at another club doesn’t make it right, and by the way I’m anti board but they didn’t deserve to be hounded out of there seats end of imo
  • Being paranoid here but jut watching MOTD2 and had the thought that generally when there are fans on the pitch the cameras steer clear of showing it with the "Oh dear, there's an idiot on the pitch" comment. In this instance both SKY and the BBC haven't stop showing it. ;hmm
  • IronHerb said:

Being paranoid here but jut watching MOTD2 and had the thought that generally when there are fans on the pitch the cameras steer clear of showing it with the "Oh dear, there's an idiot on the pitch" comment. In this instance both SKY and the BBC haven't stop showing it. ;hmm

Usually though, the idiots aren't accompanied by a mob hurling abuse at the director's box. Which is why, I suspect, that this issue hasn't died down in the media.
  • It is pretty hard to ignore a bloke carrying the corner flag into the center circle, what amazes me is that he is not a kid.

There really was a security issue there, a guy running across the pitch is one thing but wielding a five foot pole............
  • Well I’m gonna be honest Saturday was an all time low
    And I think we will now go down this season and if we do they will tear that ground apart on that last game against Everton

I hope I’m wrong
  • All these people have done is make the club unattractive to any potential investors and set back the image of the club 30 years
  • I have read Garth Crook’s team of the week and am completely outraged that none of our stellar performers made it into his team. It is scandalous.
  • Was it 11 Spurs players by any chance
  • IronHerb said:

Being paranoid here but jut watching MOTD2 and had the thought that generally when there are fans on the pitch the cameras steer clear of showing it with the "Oh dear, there's an idiot on the pitch" comment. In this instance both SKY and the BBC haven't stop showing it. ;hmm

You’d of thought they’d of panned in to Claret N Noclue’s flag for the duration
  • I would have preferred a protest like what the Liverpool fans did about ticket prices you just get up and go on a set time say 66 mins for the Bobby Moore link , the media would pick up on it and there would have been none of the scenes , the team could have got on with trying to get something out of the game and the owners would have been given a message without dragging the club through the mire
  • All these people have done is make the club unattractive to any potential investors and set back the image of the club 30 years

Now I`m no fan of Gold, Sullivan and Brady. But I think this is a bit strong.
  • I was talking about the fans who were throwing coins etc Madcap
  • Pearces

Think Madcap was being mischievous.
  • PLF ;wink

And PLF, I agree about the protests. No need for violence. This is where I think Brady scored an own goal. Far from being a public relations coup, calling off the march did nothing but stiffen peoples resolve and galvanize the anti board feelings.

As for the fan that grabbed the corner flag. Nothing more or less than a symbolic act. The chap has followed West Ham home and away for 50 ish years and apparently is one of the nicest chaps you could ever wish to meet. He is being labelled as a thug. Emily Davison is seen as a heroine and a martyr. Opinions.
  • The difference is Madcap. In 100 years, Emily Davison will still be seen as a heroine and a martyr, whilst this bloke will still be seen as an idiot with a corner flag.
  • Preston, maybe. Or, as in 100 years our lease would have just expired, we may well be moving into a purpose built stadium with a statue at the gates of an "idiot" holding a corner flag.
  • I've finally seen Noble's 50-50 ball with Lennon in the first half. Luvverly
  • Highlights still haven't been posted on OS. ;lol
  • IronHerb said:

Highlights still haven't been posted on OS. ;lol

Were there any ;lol
  • Good point ;lol
  • 4 people got onto the pitch.

Count 'em - 4.

So hardly a pitch invasion - there were far more during the Bond protest, we had sit ins in the goalmouth then.

Two of the 'invaders' took a 'panelling' from our own fans when they returned to their seats - is that OK by the way ??

Out of 50 plus thousand at the game remember- Down to bad stewarding and possibly alcohol - and nothing else as far as the actual incursions are concerned. The reasons behind the incursions may be manifest.

Don't forget, The Bond scheme protests had the effect of stopping an unpopular club policy in its tracks. There is a good reason for protest IMO

There were punch ups between our own fans - not between us and Burnley's support.

If Brady/the board gets the peaceful march called off by nefarious means, they can't be surprised if people have a go at the board in the ground. If I can predict it, along with loads of people on other sites, then our so called security teams are seriously behind the curve.

There is also no proof that coins were thrown. Show me.

Any potential investor will only be looking at the figures and our potential.

Why would they give a monkeys about the bad feeling towards the current incumbents ? Its not their problem.

It would give them a bargaining advantage to buy the club cheaper if anything.

According to rumour (only) - a Doha based investor may be having a look at us.
  • If Brady/the board gets the peaceful march called off by nefarious means, they can't be surprised if people have a go at the board in the ground.
    Yeah, only that isn't what happened, which rather renders your point moot.
  • ok Grey - what did happen then - I'm all ears ;ok
  • Well, meeting with the fans and agreeing to act on their concerns. That's a dictionary definition of nefarious, right there.
This discussion has been closed.