Burnley at home - 10th March - Match Thread

Comments

• So no culpability towards the match thread starter then who, by his own admission, had never even overseen a draw previously?

;lol

You were warned ;lol
  • Wombat - sorry to miss you -
    Expat - ditto - missed your earlier post as I had already set off and don't do mobile internet thingy.
    All the best to you both

Somehow my phone will not keep an identifier on your number, so I don't know which one yours is. Send me a txt and I'll try and label you again
  • "Press reporting stuff was chucked at the directors' box, and DS was hit in the face by a coin."

Any right minded person would condone this...should this be proven!

But apparently in Birmingham the fans confronted their owners in the car park.
  • Some fans could be seen making throat-slitting gestures at members of the board.

Oh no, ;lol
  • Posh

I hope it is safe to assume you meant 'condemn' there.

Herb

Struggle to see what is funny about that, tbh.
  • You think that token gestures are worth reporting? It's no different to thumbing your nose.
  • It is different to thumbing your nose though, isn’t it.
  • No, it really isn't.
  • IH , are u being serious ;hmm
  • Do you believe a number of fans want to murder the board by doing throat slitting gestures? Maybe they are indicating that the boards time is up.

Well Jorderz. You asked me a question and I answered.
  • And I have no more to say on it if that’s how you feel.
  • edited March 2018
    I'm feel low after yesterday's game but I know I will still renew next season wether whatever league we are in . Once this all blows over and things settle again I just can't help myself it's part of being a supporter the lows make the highs all the sweeter when we occasionally get one. Am I a glutton for punishment or just a normal West Ham fan I don't know DJ I hope you do renew, this season has not been reflective of most my years as a season ticket holder I had some great seasons some middling seasons a a few relegation seasons but I always come back for more.
    Well said pearce ;ok

Even though we are going through tough times at the moment there is no way that i'm going to give up my ST.
    I'm old enough to have gone through all the highs and lows(lot's of lows ;whistle) and i couldn't contemplate not going to watch my team again whatever league we are in.

;whistle
  • mike - distance precludes me having a ST but I will continue to arrange my weekends around watching our game. Come hell or high water. coyi
  • https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/fixtures-results/west-ham-protests-arnautovic-moyes-14395291

“Marko Arnautovic walked to some sections of the crowd and stuck around to shake hands with fans for a good ten minutes after the game and he was clearly distraught about what had happened on the pitch.”

Arnautovic is fantastic. He’s one of the few who actually run around the pitch, putting in a proper shift.

Pretty much in every game, I see him get annoyed at our players because they aren’t helping him out.
  • Yeah, but why would he want to stay at a club with ‘fans’ like ours after yesterday?

Why would anybody decent want to join?

Hope all those morons are proud of what they’ve done for the future of our club. They’ve really helped us out.
  • "A coin did hit David Sullivan. I didn't see it but I did have that confirmed," Brooking said.
  • All a bit OTT the reaction to all this IMO. Been painted like it was a war zone.
  • edited March 2018
    Perhaps Arnie admires the passion, not necessarily the way it was portrayed though.

Ginge was the only other Hammer to stay on the pitch. He looked somewhat distraught.
  • Yea how many fans actually got onto the pitch in total?
  • Lukerz said:

All a bit OTT the reaction to all this IMO. Been painted like it was a war zone.

How has it been painted like a war zone?
  • The fan ‘invasion’ was not a great look for the club. But you have 60,000 in one place a couple of idiots are always likely.

The pressing concern was the fact they got onto the pitch at all. Another one for KB to add to her ‘improvements’ list. There is a reason you have stewards. I’m sure if you didn’t you’d get more than 4/5 fans running onto the pitch in any stadium in any country.
  • Adam, Frank Lampard on MOTD made a good analysis of the game and highlighted that very point.
    He also said that the owners have made a net spend of £29million since leaving the Boleyn. I don't know if that's correct but he seemed to imply that he could understand fans' frustrations.

How different the outcome could have been yesterday if Lee Mason had rightfully penalised Lennon's obvious handball. The odds would have been that Noble scored and the whole atmosphere in the OS would have lifted.
    Also, if João Mário's volley had dipped a little, if Lanzini had not sidefooted when one on one with the 'keeper, if Arnie had had some support when he was in a good scoring position. I know they're all big ifs, but we had really good chances to win this game.
  • End of the day its the players on the oitch that need to give the fans something to cheer and imo onfe we went a goal down it was going to be a huge ask i couldnt see us scoring against Burnley

The fans helped us lose the game yesterday there is no doubt about it but cant use that excuse the other 11 times we've conceeded more than 3 goals in a game and all the capitulations (agaisnt teams we should be beating at home) weve seen over the last 2 seasons
  • We capitulated like that only 7 days ago.

Nothing to do with the fans.
  • edited March 2018
    "Before yesterday they had six home games out of nine, which to a certain extent looked an advantage," Brooking added.

"When you've just lost 3-0, had people coming on to the pitch and a lot of people venting their frustration to the directors - that means the next five games at home look pretty bleak.

"There is no way the team is going to play and get the points to stay up under that sort of atmosphere. It is impossible.

"That atmosphere must never come back in the last five games otherwise the club is in serious trouble and the players won't be able to deliver.

"I saw some families leaving because the youngsters were frightened.

"The level of aggression was something I couldn't believe a West Ham fan would get involved in.

"All I would say, between now and the end of the season is, 'anyone who has got that aggressive frustration just don't come to the five home games that are left' because we need everyone - all the fans and the team - all working together to try to get sufficient results."
  • edited March 2018
    Luke, no-one knows what would have happened if what did happen hadn't happened.

It's just as unfounded (and unprovable) to say because we capitulated 7 days ago we would have done it again yesterday, as is is to say that because we fought back from a goal down against WBA to win 2-1, we'd have fought back from a goal down yesterday to win 2-1.

What we can, with certainty, say is that the events yesterday after the first goal went in had a negative impact on the players. Nobes says precisely that in his post-match interview.

I'm not suggesting the fans behaviour is an excuse. But it is a factor.

I don't see how anyone can deny it.
  • Sir Trev. ;clap
  • edited March 2018
    Although...

"The level of aggression was something I couldn't believe a West Ham fan would get involved in.
    Where has he been?
  • Well that’s ok then....

Birmingham fans did too, only in the car park.

I think an argument starts to become less than water tight once you align your actions with those of Birmingham fans. Let’s not forget how these ‘brothers in arms’ hounded a mangers daughter outside her school.
This discussion has been closed.