TRANSFER WINDOW KLAXON - stand clear, this window is now closed

Comments

• Clappers on another thread has said it's time for a change at the top as the 2 Davids can't deliver on what they may genuinely like as they haven't got the funds to bankroll it.

I have no doubt that their business intentions are good regarding the club as a whole. Lets face it, it is their business after all and no one wants their own business to go foul.
    If they haven't got the bunce to back up their targets and claims then I'd like to see them keep quiet about pretty much everything and get on with the job in hand.
    If that isn't achievable or they can't keep out of the spotlight for one min then the writing is on the wall and should allow someone to take the club on who will.

There's plenty of other clubs owners who get on with it without the need of the celebrity of being a football club owner.

• I am looking forward to seeing what the boy Hugill can do and I am sure he will be giving it his all in these coming games as he has it all to prove.
  • Baroness Karren Brady, the modern face of the House of Lords and the best example of the justification for its abolition.
  • Bubbles

Oh, I think we can come up with better justification...

• Are they actually alive?
  • Serving the country splendidly well there ;lol
  • I'd like to be paid £300+ per day to sleep.
  • The guy in the maroon tie, is still there, incidentally.

He died two weeks ago.
  • I'll do it £150.

#racetothebottom
  • MrsGrey ;lol , but are you sure that's not Madame Tussaud's
    ;biggrin
  • Wow I assuming a nice lunch with a bottle of red contributes to that picture.

I forget now the details but I once saw an article about the Bar Bill for the Lords, they drink like FISH....
  • edited February 2018
    At least it's taken our minds off the Transfer Window and Tony Henry for a bit ;biggrin
  • I'd like to be paid £300+ per day to sleep.

I got sacked for being awake on the job. Made everyone else look bad ;puzzled
  • Last century, I worked as a labourer on a German building site. In a 12-hour day, the British and Irish workers used to have to sneak off and hide for the last 6 hours to not show up the German crews, (and probably to still get paid for the full day)
  • Grey

Not sure where or how you got that picture but I am so pleased you did, I am sitting on a train at 6.30am and the temperature is a bone chilling 2 degrees Fahrenheit.

That picture made me laugh out loud and I am not talking about this LOL nonsense, I mean really laugh out loud.

;clap
  • Baroness Karren Brady, the modern face of the House of Lords and the best example of the justification for its abolition.

Why stop there, I understand the house next door is currently undergoing some renovations, looks beyond repair to me. Perhaps the wrecking ball would be the cheaper/better option. After the house has been vacated, of course.
  • V for Vendetta it and don't look back.
  • edited February 2018
    From Moyes' presser:

"We would have liked one more player. We were trying up to the last minute. We tried for quite a few players, but we were happy from what we saw from Joao Mario and we also got Jordan, who gives us a different type of centre forward.

"We're happy enough. If we'd got one more, it would have made it right, but two was OK. We have enough cover if we get players back. Marko is not too far away.

"We were in for Slimani, but he chose to go to Newcastle. We had interest in Dendonker and Amadou and would have been happy with one, but for whatever reason they didn't come off."

So confirmation we were in for Donckz.

As for "... but for whatever reason they didn't come off", I suspect leaving things until the last minute again is right up there as explanations go ;angry
  • The selling clubs can also draw the bids out to wait for others to join in. Palace we’re supposedly in for the same players and failed to get them. So many factors rather then just gross negligence on the boards part.
  • edited February 2018
    Good point, Moyesey
    I don't think any Premier League club has more African players than West Ham and we tried to sign two on deadline day.
    So, pretty much not club policy then...
  • So for the avoidance of any doubt, we tried and fell short of delivering in the case of carvalho in the summer. And we tried and fell short of delivering in the case of Dendoncker this time round.

Whatever reasons will be put out there as to why, won’t change the fact that it is a failure twice in a row
  • Anderlecht named their price early on in the window. That indicates to me that they were willing to sell. If we had acted earlier, I'm sure we could have got him, or indeed Amadou.

Of course there are a number of reasons why it didn't go through, but I am firmly of the opinion that is was our own failings ;ok
  • Will judge the failure at the end of the season.
  • OCS, they may have named their price, but they may have been waiting on bids from at least 4 clubs, they may have been waiting until the last minute to see if they could push the price up even further. When people want to blame the owners they will find any possible chance and not look to see all the possible reasons why it didn't happen.

Just as a note, £150 million was spent on the LAST day of the transfer window. West Ham are not the only club trying to tie up deals at the last minute.

• Similar to us we let it known ayew was for sale, Swansea came in and allegedly didn’t meet our valuation, so they went away and came back to increase to what we wanted deal sealed, now I’m no Einstein but maybe our board should have rang huw Jenkins at Swansea for transfer buying advise on the two that got away
  • I think we can also consider that due to injuries our priorities at the start of Jan changed as Jan progressed.

I think Rice stepping up gave us a CB and DM option. Personally by the end of the window ACM / Striker were higher priority.

BUT it should be remembered that a good DM has the ability to pass the ball forward.

A converted Defender while being good at the negative stuff wont posses the forward bit.

So while I applaud Zab and Rice they are not what I consider a DM.
  • Who else is glad we got hugill over Slimani? The latter has already been tested at a mid table Prem club and seemingly fallen short. So paying a bigger fee than we did for hugill would have been a big risk with a significant likelihood of failure?
  • Will judge the failure at the end of the season.

I’m personally happy to call this season a shocker right now.
  • edited February 2018
    It's the modern game, though, innit? If we had come in for Hugill on 2nd Jan, Preston and/or Hugill's agent would have stalled, and gone around to see if they could get a higher bid. I really don't think clubs buying on the last day of the window is the fault of the clubs.

Afterthought: if you don't pay a squizillion pounds, so there's no competition, then you'll always be in a situation where either the selling club or the agent wants more money, or Crystal Palace and West Brom wait to see if a player wants to move, and then swoop in and try to steal the player. It's a dirty game, alright!
This discussion has been closed.