How I hate the Spuds - 25th at Wembley (the only time we will get there this year) Cup Match Thread

Comments

• Last season right at the beginning yep have to agree.....
  • Nick, I'd agree with you Re Kouyate/the first goal although I can understand other people having a different opinions on it.

IMO, in how the system is set up and should be played- as soon as Kouyate triggered that he was pressing up then Ogbonna should've moved across 10 yards narrower to get into a better position to cover as Declan Rice was left with 2 players to mark and in a v.tough situation because of how high the team was it made offside much harder to play. At least If Ogbonna had come more central they could've established a better position to deal with 2 v 2 and delay them until cover arrived; even if it didn't develop how it did, he would still therefore have been in a good position to cover any switch of play wide anyway.

2ndly I'd support Kouyate stepping out but what he did do wrong was he got turned too easily to allow spurs to play directly into the space he vacated; if you are going to press aggressively and step out then you have to either win the ball/ force them back or concede a foul. Kouyate was just a bit naive IMO. It was actually one of the tactical changes made at half time by Slaven, the back 3/5 was too flat we had to be more aggressive, if you were the spare man then you could step out and initiate defending higher up and squeeze them better by adding an extra man into midfield zone. Cresswell played much better 2nd half as a result and was a key outlet for us.

Take the 2nd goal from Ayew; Ogbonna in open play from a counter attack has stepped up and beats Son in the air on the edge of his own box, not necessarily for an attacking edge (though that is how it eventually developed) but defensively it made more sense to go with the man than stand at the back 3 CB's v 1 recognised forward; also Son is an out-ball for them, so by engaging with him higher up and more aggressively you can stop him turning and getting going which stops him in his tracks but if you are doing so, you cannot get turned like Kouyate for the 1st. Ogbonna did it very well 2nd half and at times so did Kouyate. I like the system, it plays to our strengths, reduces our weaknesses and gives a good solid platform to make small but signficant tactical changes if required without changing the whole dynamic.
  • I'm reading a lot of comments about how this wasn't Spurs' first team. It wasn't our first team either. In fact I think they had more first teamers in the team than us
  • time for the draw
  • over 50% chance we draw one of the big guns
  • edited October 2017
    Man U vs Man City
    Arsenal vs Chelsea
    West Ham vs Bristol City
    Bouremouth vs Leicester

;pray
  • Delay in the draw....clearly warming up that Arsenal ball for a home draw.
  • well my predicted draws:-

Arsenal vs West Ham
    Man United vs Bournemouth
    Leicester vs Bristol City
    Chelsea vs Man City
  • draw delayed till 5pm because people in charge are outright stupid.
  • Draw delatyd until 5pm UK time ;doh
  • Problems at twitter HQ

How on earth did we ever manage without ;doh
  • Cos they haven't been able to get hold of Jose to ask who he wants. ;devil
  • Can't connect to the WiFi
  • This is the cup we could progress in despite the draw as the big clubs have champions league progression and league campaigns to think of and will likely play a weakened side right up to the final, meaning if Slav takes it more seriously and targets it as our season we have a chance of progressing.

Although Arsenal will see it through the same eyes as us of course. ;wink
  • that Arsenal ball is going to give someone third degree burns at this rate.
  • Meanwhile, back at the ranch .....................
  • Good analysis, TWC. So forgetting form and fitness (as in the last few weeks of it), who do you think would be our best three CBs for the right kind of back three that can press and contribute to attacks?
  • edited October 2017
    Meanwhile, let's all laugh at Pep, complaining about the ball used for the Cupp competition.

“It is too light, it moves all over the place, it is not a good ball. It is impossible to score with a ball like that"

;goal ;goal ;goal

• ;nonono got stupid arsenal
  • So that draw wasn't rigged.......much
  • Rigged! Sorry m, didn’t work until all four big clubs were separated. Oh and it was pre recorded for good measure ;doh
  • But another away trip ;barrera
  • And Wenger doesn’t usually take it seriously
  • What a shambles.
  • Excellent draw for us. We have every chance. Norwich almost did them
  • For completeness....

Chelsea v Bournemouth
    Arsenal v West Ham United
    Leicester City v Manchester City
    Bristol City v Manchester United
  • Personally, I don't believe it is fixed. And I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

But that line-up will only encourage those who do.

And even I'm a bit ;hmm
  • i got one of my predictions spot on....did i jinx us...
  • But the wrong one Yeold
  • I’m just trying to work out the odds of the big 4 clubs being kept apart. Highly suspicious.
This discussion has been closed.