Brighton (Home) Friday 20th 8pm (match thread)

Comments

• Herb ;ok
    Ie “ he thinks his better then he is”
  • Tbf, any pitch size will be a struggle to play on if you have no gameplan. It seems we knock it about

I really like Bilic but he has limited tactical understanding.

Which is weird because in his first season everything he said in interviews felt spot on. He must know what he’s on about but there is little evidence of it at the moment and it has been like this since losing 2-1 to Stoke in May 2016.
  • edited October 2017
    As i said the stadium for me is still a factor, it’s not the only problem of course and it probably isn’t the biggest issue but it’s still a factor and no it’s not an excuse.

We certainly haven’t made it difficult for the opposition too many times at home
  • Lukerz said:

The stadium excuse is now just that tbh.

Hart, Zabaleta, Fonte, Masuaku, Arnautovic and Chicharito never played for us at the Boleyn. Obiang only played one season. Lanzini and Antonio the same. Only Reid, Collins, Noble and Carroll have legitimate grounds to need acclimatising and even that is a stretch IMO.

The owners are not going to sack Slav because they are not going to pay for a replacement we want (what we saw Friday was almost identical to what we saw last season when we lost 0-3 to Saints). They will want one who is the best ‘available’ option. Instead of saying to Newcastle or Watford or Huddersfield ‘here’s £10m for your manager’, they will identify someone like Mancini who isn’t in work. All three of their appointments have required 0 compensation.

That’s the first stage in taking us up the league. Identify the man you want, contact the club and find out what it’s gonna cost to get him. Once we do that, they get the man they really think is best for WHU and we can build a long term future. If we’re shopping at a market stall we’re only gonna find a selection of cheeses. We don’t want another cheese. Some of that left over cash from the Payet sale can now be spent on a new manager. We were gonna spend upwards of £25m on Carvahlo, right?

We need the best person for the job. Not the ‘best on the market’.

Lukerz, Mancini is Zenit manager so not 'available' - and by available i mean.. On the cheap, they would have to pay compensation for him
  • If they get rid of Slav, they’d better get a decent name in, that’s all I’m saying.
  • edited October 2017
    SCHB,, ;wave
    Worried about a name change
    Something like
    Raffa-plays-with-his-chins
  • edited October 2017
    So Slav has admitted that he really wanted the green around the pitch changed to claret not only to make it look like the fans were closer but also so that it provided a clear cut ending of where the pitch was, and that we offered to pay for it but it was refused.

But it’s okay, the stadium is perfect ;whistle

Joke by the way.......
  • Not worried about a decent name, I want a decent manger.
  • They normally go hand in hand, but I know what you mean. If they go the untested and cheap route they’re possibly playing Russian roulette
  • Looking at the attacking four we had against Brighton, somebody like Bielsa would get so much more out of them. I want to enjoy watching us attack. I haven’t enjoyed it since Payet left.

We’ve won games here and there but it’s pretty much always a struggle. Add that to defeats of this kind and there’s nothing to like about watching us at the moment. Even when we beat Swansea and Huddersfield I didn’t enjoy the games.

We were better going forward and defensively under Allardyce. We have better players now which is balancing it, but a better manager will get so much more out of these guys, IMO.
  • Under Allerdyce at times. We also had games like Brighton with him as well don't forget.
  • We were definitely better defensively under Allardyce but we are better going forward now
  • IronHerb said:

Not worried about a decent name, I want a decent manger.

As were Joseph and Mary
  • Far better defensively under SA we did suffer the odd hiding but that was normally when we had injury problems

In Slavs first season we always came back and you always felt we would at some point. Now we just fold like a pack of cards

While one player doesn’t make a team the effect Payet had on this side was clearly huge and possibly papered over the cracks

• Aslef ;lol ;lol
  • edited October 2017

IronHerb said:

Not worried about a decent name, I want a decent manger.

As were Joseph and Mary
    If I need to take to prayer then so be it. ;whistle
  • We were definitely better defensively under Allardyce but we are better going forward now

I disagree. I think we have far superior players now which on occasion do something individually. Tactically, we have no clear way of playing under Bilic at all IMO.
  • edited October 2017
    alderz said:

Boleyn: 110 x 70 yard

How much difference does that make in actual terms?

So the old pitch is 7,700 Square Yards (69.300 Square Feet) and the new one is 8,510 Square Yards (76,590 Square feet). The difference is 810 Square yards (7,290 Square Feet) which is roughly an 85ft X 85ft square of additional playing area. So theoretically this could have been a problem in the first season.

Anyone know how big the training pitches are? If these is still the same size as the old pitch it could be a big part of the problem.
  • edited October 2017
    Rush Green pitches are all the same as the London Stadium and that was deliberate so the players would be used to it.
  • Which of course is the standard size for PL pitches.
  • ;hmm just thinking did the players get the weekend off after that .if I was Bilic would have them in all weekend .trying to get them use to a football again
  • They were off yesterday and in today.
  • Antonios defending for the first 2 goals is extraordinary. I didnt pick it up real time in the stadium but his body position and technique is all wrong and gets caught way under the ball which is why Reid couldnt get across in time. The 2nd is emblematic of the whole performance, just strolling back expecting his teammates to cover for him despite the ball being well within his purview. And its not like he cant do it, Antonio is a good defender and with his physical attributes he is a beast but it just demonstrates that once they cross that line its down to individuals to produce a certain level of performance in terms of doing the basics.
  • Antonios defending for the first 2 goals is extraordinary. I didnt pick it up real time in the stadium but his body position and technique is all wrong and gets caught way under the ball which is why Reid couldnt get across in time. The 2nd is emblematic of the whole performance, just strolling back expecting his teammates to cover for him despite the ball being well within his purview. And its not like he cant do it, Antonio is a good defender and with his physical attributes he is a beast but it just demonstrates that once they cross that line its down to individuals to produce a certain level of performance in terms of doing the basics.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was Obiang who was badly positioned for Brighton's first
  • edited October 2017
    twc ;ok

Never been convinced by Antonio anyway. I often see him as lazy and quite greedy. A supreme athlete but his actual football brain and ability is not PL level IMO.

Maybe should spend more time on basic footballing abilities like control and passing than his goal-scoring celebrations.
  • He’s been our most consistent attacking player since Bilic took over, and highest goalscorer (I believe). Give him a break.
  • I think the whole team had a break on Friday night. ;angry
  • Haven't plucked up the courage to watch a recording of the match other than the 5 minutes of lowlights. Went to the game, took two Mexican friends, and was utterly embarrassed. One of them didn't have a English club and was open to following West Ham. After the pre-match drinking & eating holes I took them to, he was virtually signed up. It would have taken an incredibly pathetic performance combined with a deathly dull atmosphere for him not to leave the stadium wanting to buy a West Ham kit...

We didn't notice if the store was open on the way out.

The main problem that struck me in the match was Lanzini playing so deep. He was often going back level with the deepest defender to pick up the ball and start a move. Given the complete lack of ideas of his teammates, this was perhaps understandable. But Bilic shouldn't have allowed it to continue. It meant that Chicharito was rather isolated. Lanzini needed to be in the hole behind him much more of the time. In fact, like another poster here, this pattern led me to want Noble to come on for Kouyate (who hardly touched the ball in the first half, it seemed to me) or Obiang (who, as has been commented, only contributed one good pass). This remains the kind of player we need to buy - to free up Lanzini for further up the pitch.

Next on my list of gripes were Arnautovic and Masuaku, who seemed to put in the most miserably pathetic of performances. It's very sad that Masuaku, after such good cameos as a sub, should dip in form so dramatically after having been given the starting berth. That doesn't help Bilic at all. Unfortunately Arnie hasn't shown much in any of his performances, perhaps bar Bolton, which hardly counts given the level of their resistance.

I agree with many who have slated Antonio's delivery. But he did at least beat his man quite regularly and get into a position to make that final pass. He found Chicharito once, though with a pass that was hard to control. If he didn't get back as quickly as he should have, was he still not fully fit or was he just feeling exasperated at his performance levels?

I think the criticism of Hart is a bit undue. He made two great saves. After the first of these, unfortunately Brighton regained possession quite soon after the save and came back to score their second goal. Whether he should have saved that one, I'm not sure. Just because he touched it doens't mean he should have saved it. I think it moved a bit in the air after he had dived and he couldn't reach it well enough to save it. I'd be more upset with the penalty - hate to see keepers beaten down the middle. But that's just luck really. So I think he didn't do too badly apart from one awful misplaced pass towards the end.

The third player whom I think has been unfairly slated is Ayew. I thought he was our best player for the time he was on the pitch, and looked the most likely to make something happen.

So, in summary, most of my criticism goes to Bilic. He picked a very strong team and seemed to give them no plan A, let alone a plan B. Our midfield of Obiang, Kouyate and Lanzini was woeful and these are top players who I am sure would have done much better if better organised and drilled. After Bilic, I'm most disappointed in Arnie and Masuaku. Kouyate and Obiang also had particularly bad off days. Zabaleta showed passion, but gave away another clumsy penalty.

I'm no longer angry about Bilic's performances. I've graduated to depression.
This discussion has been closed.