Pre-season training camps and fixtures (West Ham)

Comments

• edited July 2017

Twitter already in meltdown cos we are not winning this TRAINING game ;lol

;lol ;lol

And that is proof, if it were still needed, that millions of people who broadcast their views to the nation via twitter and other social media are utter twonks.

Pre-season games are mostly meaningless, especially the first few. They tell us nothing meaningful about the team/players.

A bunch of half-fit players, who aren't used to playing together. Half of whom are not 1st team players. All of whose priority is to not get injured. Playing in a game that nothing depends on. For 45 minutes until the 11 players get a go for the other half of the match. Against a team in a similar position.

• So was this game a success?

1) no injuries

2) minutes for everyone

Yep. Success.
  • I just heard Slav saying they treated it as part of training, in that they are doing double training sessions, and yesterday the players trained as normal in the morning, then had the game, then did some light running after. (You could see that in the coverage, actually - in the 2nd half you could get glimpses of the 1st half players jogging up and down on the adjacent pitch.
  • Found it interesting that Slav said 'we should've scored some goals' and then said 'tbf we haven't been scoring in trailing either so it was to be expected in a game'.
  • Well we do have two excellent goalkeepers... ;whistle
  • Yes, I agree with Slav that we should have scored some goals. Training or not, we should have the attacking players that can create openings and finish them. Didn't see much of the second half, but from the first:

Snodders got his chance on the right, where he said he wanted to play (as justification for why he didn't do too well after moving to West Ham) - he ended up either putting in rubbish crosses with his right foot or slowing down play, coming back, trying to cut inside and getting bogged down in trouble and losing the ball.

Feghouli looked promising - he looked like a good player lacking fitness, which is what you would hope for at this stage. Snodders just looked poor and out of place.

Ayew probably should have scored one of his chances. The knack of hitting the goalkeeper, even in training, is not a helpful one.

Fletcher's touch and passing let him down occasionally - that may be why he hasn't had the chances many of us thought he should have had last season.

The defence looked solid, but they should have done against that oppo. Good to see Arthur and Zaba getting forward and looking comfortable on the ball. Also able to be confident in Collins and Burke to pass it back to them under pressure.

I'm still interested to see if Obiang really has the forward passing capacity we need. He gave the ball away cheaply at least once under no pressure. That's fine for now, but he also did it last season, so I can see why we being linked with Wilshere.

I thought Nobes did OK.

I love Fernandes' pace and energy!

What about our second half team? Lanzini needs to start again with his freekick practice!
  • Yes to everything posted about it being a pre-season game etc.

Just one however, Snodgrass.... ;hmm even his corners were poor...

On a positive I thought Burke look like a bit of player... Certainly seemed comfortable with a first time pass.
  • Rice looks like a decent player
  • Kouyate back in squad for tomorrows game.

Hart also included.
  • Kouyate back in squad for tomorrows game.

Hart also included.

Great stuff
    Positive ;clap
  • edited July 2017
    Lukerz

It's odd, as he is listed in the squad, but then later it says:
    However, Michail Antonio (hamstring), Andy Carroll (hip), Winston Reid (knee), Diafra Sakho (back) and Cheikhou Kouyate (knee) will all miss the match to continue working on their rehabilitation, while Jose Fonte will return next week after helping Portugal reach the semi-finals of the FIFA Confederations Cup in Russia.
    http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/19-july/west-ham-united-v-fulham-all-you-need-know
  • Yeah, but you know how our media people manage to keep on top of things...probably ex Trump employees. ;whistle
  • Grey - oh ;lol

Thought a WHU injury lasting only two days was too good to be true. ;lol
  • Premier sports have pulled the plug on live coverage of Fulham match. Will now be delayed coverage.
  • ;nonono

BOOOOO. I want my money back!

• West Ham United: Randolph, Byram, Ogbonna, Rice, Cresswell, Cullen, Lanzini, Makasi, Feghouli, Holland, Fletcher

Substitutes: Adrian, Anang, Zabaleta, Collins, Burke, Masuaku, Obiang, Noble, Ayew, Snodgrass, Martinez

Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/20-july/west-ham-united-v-fulham-team-news#1jqKJp10lTcEKbds.99
  • 2-0 up apparantly

Fletcher and Lanzini with goals, could be a lot more Lanzini pulling all the strings could've had a hattrick from the tweets I've seen
  • Good workout.

Manu looking lively, Cullen playing like Marky Mark's Mini me. Bryan spent most of the half as a spare right winger.

Certainly a higher tempo than the first game.
  • Holland playing well according to one website have high hopes for this lad from what I have seen of him
  • That was my post, although obviously the Mrs would agree with me...
  • How about Martinez is he showing anything??
  • Not tearing up any trees so far...
  • 2nd half team are eager enough, but seem to lack the urgency of the first lot.
  • edited July 2017
    I think the second half reinforced by concern about where our creativity would come from were Lanzini out injured. Arnautovic could really help here, while being someone that could start alongside Lanzini. If signed, hopefully he and in a different way Antonio would provide enough creative cover. And looks like Holland won't be too far behind. But Snodders, Feggers, Where-Ayew and Nobes don't really seem to have the spark required to create enough goals even against poor oppo.
  • Ayew seemed to be playing very deep.
  • The 2nd half team struggled without the creativity of Lanzini and Holland. Martinez didn't get a sniff.
  • edited July 2017
    Anybody think 6 pre-season games is a bit too few?

Only four left (2x Bremen, Altona 93, Man City).

Sure we normally play around 10?

We played 6 last season too and looked so undercooked for the first few months.

But then again we played 5 in 2015/16. So Slav obviously favours less games.

;hmm
  • I think when there are more friendlies, the first team players don't actually play that much anyway. It's always "West Ham XI" rather than actual West Ham.
  • edited July 2017
    Eski - yeah I did look and exclude them. ;ok

All WHU XI where it's basically development squad I didn't include.

Still Slav's reign has seen very few first team friendlies in comparison to previous managers.

Suppose he'd rather have the same batch of players going 45 x2, then up to 60, then to 90 over a few games, than a load of them.

Maybe it's more a modern trend? Most teams seem to play less friendlies.
  • or maybe he knows about our injure record ;whistle