The 'couldn't think where else to put this' and decided it didn't merit a new thread thread

Comments

• I'm dumstrick ;wink
  • Hammerex said:

If thats a chicken leg, then surely it should be Bradford City.

;puzzled
  • MrsGrey said:

Hammerex said:

If thats a chicken leg, then surely it should be Bradford City.

;puzzled

;puzzled
  • They saying in the paper it looks like the picture on a gaviscon bottle
  • edited January 2018
    IronHerb said:

I think the guy we got from Arsenal, who came to rebrand us, has moved on to Leeds and rebranded them. Hence the awful new badges at both clubs.

Blinkin' ell, you're right! Angus Kinnear left West Ham in May last year to become chief executive at Leeds. A quick Google suggests he's also involved in transfer deals!

Poor Leeds........
  • Their current crest is pretty awful. I’m not sure this is much worse.
  • At least their current (old) one has a meaning.
  • edited January 2018

IronHerb said:

Poor Leeds.

;nonono
  • MrsGrey said:

At least their current (old) one has a meaning.

What does it mean? (I get the white rose has meaning but tbh it's hard to notice amid the rest of it, does the rest have meaning?)
  • The current (old) one was adopted in 1998 while Peter Risdale was chairman, supposedly in a "European style" - whatever that means.

Here's an excellent webpage on the history of Leeds badges, the "smiley" is brilliantly mad

http://www.wafll.com/leeds-united-badges.html
  • edited January 2018
    I was just referring to the white rose, outcast ;ok
  • edited January 2018
    Just had an interesting night, this is quite a cool story.

It was back in 1964 that my wife’s father, Bill, a fierce Sunderland supporter came to the USA from Durham and he became friends with a Scotsman, inevitably named Jimmy. In 1968, Jimmy, an equally fierce Celtic supporter, was asked if he wanted to start a park district football team and he reached out to Bill and between them they founded the Palatine Celtic Soccer Club.

The story goes that they really struggled to find eleven lads who had any desire to even kick a ball but they persevered and today over 1,200 young people play for the Celtics.

Both Jimmy and Bill have since passed away but this evening the Palatine Celtics held a 50th celebration dinner with both Bill and Jimmys families well represented.

Incredibly there were three members of that very first team in attendance this evening and two of them still play, in fact they had just returned from Las Vegas were they played in an over sixties tournament.

It is said that it only takes a few people to make an impact on thousands, and the truth is that only a few actually have done that.

I submit that Bill and Jimmy belong to that select group

;clap
  • Nice piece Chicago, it’s people like those two who deserves medals to form a association like that which has carried on for years is immense over where I grew up it’s dying off now and not only that I can’t see it happening again
  • Just watched a documentary on VAR in the Bundesliga.
    The sooner we get it in the EPL the better. There's no rational reason not to do it. In the Bundesliga they say that every game day, 1-2 game changing mistakes are avoided.
    The technology is available and tested. Why not use it?
    It would be like going back to the days before goal line technology and hawk-eye in tennis.
  • I think just like in other sports the use of the VAR should be shown on the giant screens do that everyone can see what's being looked at. Last night's game, although it ended in the right result each time, nobody had a clue what was going on.
  • edited January 2018
    thorn, I think at the least there should be something on the screen that says 'VAR is checking offside' (for example). I'm not sure about replaying it all over and over again though. It seems to me that in the situations where it is a judgement call (like the penalty with Salah) it will encourage the players still to argue and surround the ref etc, just adding to the delay. I think VAR is an opportunity to reduce that sort of thing.

Also, in those cases where the VAR contacts the ref to say he got something wrong, I'm not sure what could be shown on the screens, because as far as I understand it, the ref will just get a message that he made an obvious error and at the first break in play he should go back and correct it. Maybe the screen will just explain why a decision has been changed, or a new set of signals/gestures will be used.

Not all the different scenarios have happened yet during this trial period, so I guess it's still a learning process.

(Also, it often happened even before this trial that sometimes the crowd were not sure what an issue was/what the ref was talking to a lino about, etc... )
  • Anything that means everyone doesn't spend time watching the ref standing with his finger in his ear would be welcome. A message VAR review in progress would be a start.
    PL rules currently prevent contentious decisions being replayed on the screens so they won't at the moment display any kind of a replay.
  • Oh, and just to add - there was an incident in the game yesterday (can't remember all the specifics) where it was blatantly obvious that about 4 WBA players were yards offside. The commentator said that they were consulting the VAR and I was getting annoyed that the ref+lino couldn't make such a simple decision. It reminded me of my one slight worry that the officials will bottle out of even simple decisions. In the end, it turned out the VAR wasn't consulted ... and I was glad to see the players not surrounding the ref asking him to do so. (Conte, in a game awhile back, was giving it large on the touchline with the charades 'television' gesture to the 4th official, trying t insist the ref review the footage. However the system is finally brought in, they need to try to stop that happening imo.)
  • Suze

;wave

Hope you are feeling better.
  • On a lighter note, and to cheer everybody up post Window and Racist remarks - heres a beauty from the Popbitch website :

Labour council leader Clare Kober's decision to quit Haringey, citing bullying and sexism, made headlines this week.

Clare was certainly much more popular with the party's top brass in 2011. Following the Tottenham riots, she welcomed then-Labour leader Ed Miliband to the area, to show him some of the devastation.

Ed and his party disembarked the tube at Seven Sisters to be met by Kober and council dignitaries. Immediately Ed started to look around, wide-eyed, and empathised with them about the terrible post-riot wasteland he was confronted by.

The council leaders had to quietly tell him he hadn't yet got to the scene of the riots. All he could see was... well, Tottenham.
  • edited February 2018
    Moved Bonzo or Brooking discussion to its own thread:

http://www.whu606.com/discussion/10467
  • In other news Apple have just announced record profits for the past three months of fourteen billion pounds. A company spokesman said that although this appeared to be good news, if the year continued on a similar trajectory the company may be burdened by something called taxes.
  • Excellent story Chicago, and it reminds me of a particular quote that seems apt:

"Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for?"
  • Antonio in the sun saying Moyes made the right decision to drop him for being late but he turned up st the hotel where they always met and Moyes had changed the meet to the stadium, he says he’s committed always on time and is worried the fans see it as non commitment as have some on here so I hope that puts that theory to bed
  • He also said he’d played games when he shouldn’t because of injury and stayed on longer than advised
  • Brushing up on my knowledge for my trainer requalification course next week. It will be really odd to be delegate for a change....

CF657991-7756-4DE2-9993-8A52CD81EF7E
  • Two questions for me today

1 ) what’s with this craze about songs being sung by “x featuring y”

2 ) in point 1) above, who decides who is “x” and who is “y”

;hmm
  • I miss the old girl, so my downstairs toilet has a new addition

IMG_20180205_162403
  • Not that it really matters, but Alice Cooper is 70 years old today. And the Berlin Wall has been down for the same number of years that it was up.
    Funny old world really.
This discussion has been closed.