Leicester Match Thread (18th March 3pm KO)

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Sorry grey, but I can't enjoy a match we lose. I awaiting a price for my soul as that appears to be the only way this club is going to go in the direction I want it to. ;ok

Only six Thorn!
  • Yes I'll go with six as I can't see us getting anything from Liverpool, Spurs or Everton at home and Arsenal, Stoke or Burnley away.
    Leaves us Swansea home and Sunderland and Hull away to get something.
  • I know it's obvious to say but that stadium is still a huge albatross around our neck. Completely soulless in all respects and the players can feel it, I'm certain.
  • Ridiculous to blame the stadium. The stadium doesn't make players make stupid defensive mistakes or leave players unmarked in the 6 yard box.
  • thorn

I didn't say I enjoy watching us lose. Why would you suggest that I did?

• Twist

We scored two goals (again) and gave away three (again.)

Not sure I'd be blaming the lack of a striker for our troubles atm.

I see your point, G. Randolph has to be dropped IMO. Conceding 3 goals every game doesn't help
  • Grey I didn't mean you enjoy watching us lose but if you enjoy watching us play even if we lose then I think you've got 6 more games like today to come ie enjoy but lose.
  • Bournemouth have now gone above us and after we've played Arsenal we could well be 15th or even 16th. We need to win at Hull
  • Grey said:
    Each to their own. I enjoyed it. I like it when I can watch us and enjoy it, even if we lose

Thorn said:
    Good job you can enjoy it when we lose Grey

Grey said:
    I didn't say I enjoy watching us lose. Why would you suggest that I did?

Grey, I think that you have to admit Thorn has not drawn an unreasonable inference.
    "Even if" implies "in some moment of time (albeit unknown)", just as "when" can be interpreted similarly.

• Someone else's turn to do the match thread...

We'll run out of people at this rate ;whistle
  • We've conceded 103 goals in 67 league games under Bilic

For all the good stuff last season he's never truly sorted our defence out, we had a little run with the draws last season but that was it

• NE

If you are prepared to ignore punctuation, you might draw that conclusion, but that would assume you were more interested in making a point rather than taking the sense of what was written.
  • edited March 2017
    Think we missed Noble tbh ;whistle
  • I think only Lanzini, Byram and Ayew came out of that with any credit. Mousaka had a decent cameo but the rest were poor. It's time for Randy to go and Bilic needs to pull his socks up.
  • I might allow Randy might possibly have done better with the 2nd (I'd need to see it again), but to blame him for all the gaols we concede is simplistic in the extreme imo.
  • He was at fault for the 1st.
  • Ayew awful, Carroll calamitous, , Antonio accomplished, Lanzini legendary, Obiang omnipresent, Kouyate clinical, Cresswell cautious, Reid reliable, Fonte fair, Byram bland, Randolph ropey - Snodgrass soul-less, Fernandes formidable, Masuaku marginal. Leicester lucky. West Ham woeful. Bilic bullish but badly-prepared. Hammers - hapless.
  • I think Grey is getting confused about which game he enjoyed today - my guess is he was actually referring to the rugby
  • The second half was surely enjoyable for West Ham fans as we virtually laid siege to the Leicester half, unfortunately due to a couple of pieces of atrocious finishing we got no reward, but it always looked as though we might throughout as we were crafting chances, but then missing them. Played some good stuff at points (usually when Lanzini on the ball ).

I think everyone wants to win the match but if it becomes impossible to enjoy a game that we lose then we become like those managers that traditionally we have not liked such as George Graham etc in which the result was all that mattered. I think at West Ham we would reject that philosophy pretty quickly in a manager because we acknowledge we want to watch an enjoyable game of football and accept that you are not always going to get the result you deserve. Today's match should have been a draw without doubt as they won the first half and we the second, the difference was Schmichael and our wayward finishing.
  • baracks

I did indeed enjoy the rugby, and I enjoyed watching our second half performance.
  • Playing better in the second half is pretty pointless when you have tossed away the game in the first.

You are also playing an opposition in a completely different mindset compared to one which is not two goals up

The game lasts 90 minutes not 45
  • C&B you're right in your assertion that we as Hammers fans want to watch enjoyable football but to most it becomes less enjoyable when, because we stupidly due to ineptitude, keep giving 1 or 2 goal starts, the chance of getting something from games is a big challenge. Had we lost today because they scored 3 truly great goals I think people would accept it more readily but you can't blame wayward finishing because our strikers are under greater pressure because they are having to try to get 3 or 4 goals per game to have any chance of winning.
    It must be demoralising for the forwards to see our defence conceding poor goals all the time. In fact it's hard to see our defence at all because they're nowhere to be seen when they're needed mostly.
  • Masuaka showed why he could be a starter and why he shouldn't

He was a lot brighter than Cresswell on the ball, wasn't afraid to take on the full backs, backed himself in 50/50s......but then he have away a silly pass to Leicester about 30/40 yards from our goal

Hopefully Obiang and Reid aren't for.too long

Antonio and Lanzini were class, Ayew showed glimpses of what he's got, need to sort out the defence though it's a joke
  • What troubles me is that we have quality, experienced defenders like Reid and Fonte who have proved themselves under different managers in the Prem, yet in a Bilic side are at the heart of a defence that regularly concedes two plus goals a game.
  • baracks

Not sure why you felt the need to tell me that. ;hmm

I enjoyed watching us in the 2nd half. Apparently, you didn't.
  • Third game on match of the day though going to be a painful watch. Hope smiler Lawrenson isn't on!
  • Ayew awful, Carroll calamitous, , Antonio accomplished, Lanzini legendary, Obiang omnipresent, Kouyate clinical, Cresswell cautious, Reid reliable, Fonte fair, Byram bland, Randolph ropey - Snodgrass soul-less, Fernandes formidable, Masuaku marginal. Leicester lucky. West Ham woeful. Bilic bullish but badly-prepared. Hammers - hapless.

I get that it is clever to alliterate, but I disagree with almost all of your adjectives.
    Fernandes formidable?

Leicester weren't lucky.

Lanzini no way was legendary.

Obiang's weakness led to a Leicester goal.

etc.

Are you sure you watched the game?

• edited March 2017

What troubles me is that we have quality, experienced defenders like Reid and Fonte who have proved themselves under different managers in the Prem, yet in a Bilic side are at the heart of a defence that regularly concedes two plus goals a game.

I'm going to look up Reids stats.

I don't think it is just under Bilic that he has conceded 2+ goals a game. I'm not even sure that's his average under Bilic.
  • It's not far short of a 2 per game average. We've conceded 52 in 29 games
  • That's a West Ham average for this season so far.

baracks was referring (a) to the defence when Reid is playing and (b) for the period of Bilic as manager.

And also implied that the goals conceded on average when Reid is playing is worse under Bilic than under other managers.

So those are the stats I'm going to look up.

But it's gone midnight here, so it's on my list of things to do tomorrow.

zzzzzzzzzz
This discussion has been closed.