Chelsea (H) 06.03.17 - 8pm k/o SS1

Comments

• Perhaps to ward off and confuse those fans who are irate about a striker not being signed in Jan.

How's that working out for them?
  • Yeold, any source for these rumours ;hmm
  • so WHEN we beat Chelsea we help spurs ;weep
  • Then we beat Spurs and it all levels out. Simples!
  • ;phew thank goodness for that
  • "I've always been of the opinion that if two teams play the same way, the team with the better players wins. To stand a chance we need to counter them, not copy them. " Eskimoking, I know what you mean, but it is also good to do what your enemy dislikes the most and I think Chelsea have not had too many battles against
    5 3 2 or 5 4 1. Conte plays with a back 5 as it's gets the best out of his players but also as it is their best way of defeating all the other teams who nearly all play 4 5 1.
    I think it could be worth a try for the 1st half at least.
  • Rumours are no Carroll tomorrow and already know Antonio isn't available. This isn't going to end well.

Shock

Again, no striker signing is ridiculous! Absolutely amateur.
    Managers decision.

As per his recent interview he says he's the driver the rest are passengers....
  • The club have put a video up on FB with the caption "he's back". A bit stupid if he's not guaranteed to play.

Maybe they mean "He's back from the clinic, and, well, you'd better sit down."
  • My first visit to the new stadium..having been to over 500 games at UP, it will be emotional but I will embrace it....incidentally atttended more london derbies vs Chelsea than any other London Club...best was 4-2 at SB in 1971, worst 3-2 home defeat in ELC when Hutchinson scored a great header .......in his own net!
  • Hope you have a cracking time, Ironduke.

If you could come back with a point or three, all the better! ;ok
  • Hope you enjoy the experience, the worst Chelsea derby I recall was when they beat us 4-1, and that was after we went one up and they scored all four of their goals with ten men!

Don't go there, don't go there, don't worry, it will be alright, take a deep breath.
  • edited March 2017
    Come on boys a big performance...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39175421

Interesting comment from Antonio on the size of the pitch...
  • Rumours are no Carroll tomorrow and already know Antonio isn't available. This isn't going to end well.

Shock

Again, no striker signing is ridiculous! Absolutely amateur.
    Manager says he's in the squad. optimistic he'll play.
    http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/march/06-march/manager-matchday

Unless he knows there's no chance and he's just lying.
  • Would help if they took the trouble to check out pitch sizes before talking in terms of an extra 3 yards each side or 10 yards at each end.
  • WE WILL WIN THIS. I have my lucky underpants, socks, and West Ham shirt on. I know this sounds "gross" but they have been on since yesterday morning. My daughters team were in the semi-final and ran out comfortable 5--1 winners. This is a NAILED ON HOME WIN. ;scarf
  • WE WILL WIN THIS. I have my lucky underpants, socks, and West Ham shirt on. I know this sounds "gross" but they have been on since yesterday morning. My daughters team were in the semi-final and ran out comfortable 5--1 winners. This is a NAILED ON HOME WIN. ;scarf

Madcap ;ok ;scarf #forthecause
  • Slaven:
    "It will be great to have him on a pitch tonight and I am optimistic that he will be fit to be involved. You know how much I rate him and how much we rate him."

Hopefully it's the London Stadium pitch
    ;biggrin
  • My head is saying a 4-1 loss but my heart is saying a cheeky 2-1 win!
  • edited March 2017
    Hope it's not another City performance.... ;pray
  • If we play like City it will be a cracking game
  • My head says not to watch it, my heart says "but what if..."
  • I'm trying to plan something for after the game that will cheer me up, just in case. I hate going to bed feeling like ;weep
  • Under the lights was always special but now we have those weird lights where some of them can't be bothered...
  • Interesting Bilic quotation from BBC match preview: "I remember once I spoke to [Dimitri] Payet during last season. Payet said that, even including himself, Victor [Moses] is the best player that we have at West Ham."
  • The only thing I hope for is that we don't give them any easy goals. Too many times this season we've given the top teams early goals and they go on to destroy us.
  • MrsGrey said:

I'm trying to plan something for after the game that will cheer me up, just in case. I hate going to bed feeling like ;weep

;redwine usually works well for me ;biggrin
  • My heart tells me Loss.My head tells me Drubbing.
  • Drinking in the Stratford Theatre Royal bar. How posh am I? COYI
  • Puddle, I see your point about matching formation but in my opinion we don't have the personnel to play with wing backs. Antonio can do RWB but he is not available. It's too far removed from Kouyate's usual role to ask him to do it and while I think Byram's a good RB he doesn't have the experience to be the sole wide option on that side. On the left; while Cresswell can do the job, on the occasion(s) we played it he didn't look fully comfortable as he has spent his whole career with a LM or at least a LAM/LW ahead of him providing him with an option ball, or creating space while he overlaps. I'd be tempted to try it if we had Ant but without him we're too lacking in ability in those vital positions IMO.

Initially I was drawn to go 4;3;3 to provide extra cover in the middle by playing Noble, Obiang and Kouyate. However this would mean either playing Lanzini on the left wing (which I don't like) or dropping him (crazy given his form).

Instead as we are in relative form ourselves (performance wise) and we are at home, lets stick with the 4;2;3;1 and really give it a go. Possibly ask Lanz to sit a little deeper then usual but not quite back into a 3 middle.

Where as normally I would go with Noble and Obiang as my middle two I can see the benefit of Chiek if we are on the back foot more and need his legs. So for me:

..............Randy/Adrian.................(not fussed atm, whoever is looking best in training)
    ..Bryam..Fonte..Reid..Cresswell.....(would like this for the rest of the season tbh)
    ...........Obiang..Kouyate................(but more than happy to start Noble bring CK on if needed)
    ..Snodgrass..Lanzini..Ayew...........(still think Snod is more effective on the right cutting in)
    ................Carroll..........................(if he's not fit, Ayew up top Feg on wing)

Might roll down the local for this one, tiredness dependent. Let's hope for a good performance and some points! COYI
  • IronHerb said:

Drinking in the Stratford Theatre Royal bar. How posh am I? COYI

;nonono

Commies! Reds!

;run
This discussion has been closed.