January 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Andros Townsend ;cool
  • ASLEF ;ok

Remember when we didn't think Lucas Neill was any good, but when he wasn't there we were rudderless and had no leaders? I think this is the same sort of thing. It's hard to quantify what he brings to the team sometimes, but something he does makes a lot of difference to us

• The argument for keeping Noble is that we've not won a game in the league without him in the starting XI for over two years.

Surely that's because he's a virtual ever present??.. ;hmm
  • League games without Noble in the starting XI

20 Dec 14 Leics H 2-0
    28 Dec 14 Ars H 1-2
    1 Jan 15 WBA H 1-1
    11 Feb 15 Saints A 0-0
    24 May 15 Newc A 0-2
    29 Nov 15 WBA H 1-1
    16 Nov 16 Spurs A 2-3
    2 Jan 17 Man U H 0-2

At Forest Antonio played on the left about 95% of the time, at Wednesday it was about two thirds on the right and a third on the left.
  • MrsGrey said:

;hmm

I wonder...

Both Ex and West Ham Central have re-tweeted a tweet from June about Batsuayi agreeing to join West Ham before Chelsea's last minute intervention. Probably nothing in it, but I wonder if it's a clue as to why we're hanging back on the Hogan deal ;hmm

Who's June, and is she ITK? ;hmm
    You will find June is the most august of the ITK`s, much better than May, and don`t be fooled by April. June will often steal a march on all the other ITK`s and is definitely the most reliable. In fact you could say she is hot. Flaming June as she is known amongst the ITK`s.
  • alderz - exactly, I think its a sort of gypsy curse whereby unless Noble treads on every blade of grass we can't win, that would explain why he runs a greater distance per game than any other player in the Prem.

That look of concentration isn't him thinking about the game, he's trying to remember if he's missed a spot.......
  • If Feghouli stays we don't need Snodgrass

The argument for keeping Noble is that we've not won a game in the league without him in the starting XI for over two years.

By the same token we've lost a lot of games when he has started.
  • FONTE TO WEST HAM...?

We have an update on Jose Fonte's impending £8m move to West Ham. According to Sky sources, Fonte is having his West Ham medical today.

Skysports
  • Adam said:

The Fonte one is a bit strange. We're not better than Southampton.

I think a lot of people thought we were better than Southampton at the start of the season. Maybe Fonte is ignoring the temporary state and looking at the potential?

He might just be getting a pay raise.
  • Adam said:

The Fonte one is a bit strange. We're not better than Southampton.

We are one point better than them at the moment. ;wink
  • Who's June, and is she ITK? ;hmm

You will find June is the most august of the ITK`s, much better than May, and don`t be fooled by April. June will often steal a march on all the other ITK`s and is definitely the most reliable. In fact you could say she is hot. Flaming June as she is known amongst the ITK`s.

She did say Messi was coming, but that was just a due lie. Due? Lie? Due lie? July?

;yercoat
  • I wish my company worked like the transfer system. I feel like a bit of a Noble/Ginge at the moment!
  • Must be said that it can't be easy seeing Southampton lack ambition in the transfer market over the last coupe years

Losing Mane, Lallana, Clyne, Lovren, Schneiderlin, Pelle etc shows a club lacking ambition and despite our poor summer window we haven't been forced into selling our best players we usually offer them new contracts, Cresswell ,Kouyate, Reid, Antonio to name a few

Like the comment about chelsea pre buying the superstars, buy proven quality that you can get a good 18 months from an plan their successor correctly (no panic buys) for when they do start showing their age
  • The January transfer window has once again highlighted what to me appears to be disturbing trend.. Moneybags Manchester City have signed 13-year-old Finley Burns from Southend United in a £175,000 deal, which could rise to £250,000 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4138506/Manchester-City-spend-175-000-13-year-old-defender.html). Surely, this will exert pressure on the kid and can ruin his childhood. What about his education and sense of life? What is the effect of commodification on young minds?
    Of course, MANC are not alone. Last year Chelsea paid £80,000 for 10-year old Cameron McGeehan (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35833792). Juventus signed another 10 year old kid (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/juventus-sign-10-year-old-9020662)

It is one thing developing your own academy and nurture younger talent but quite another to put value on the head of a child and dangle vast sums of money in front of them, their parents and no doubt some agents too. What does is do to the child's development and sense of self-worth and what if things don't work out, as the law of averages suggest that most will not reach the top grade. How many will be able to handle the peculiar pressures that come with stardom at such a young age. The world of pop stars and child actors sends a warning and I think football authorities should look at this issue.

What next? Football agents scouring maternity wards to catch them quick and start trading?
  • SSN say Fonte has completed a medical.
  • Jose Fonte completes West Ham medical. Confirmation imminent - Sky Sports
  • Ooooo what do I win?

;wahoo
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38696547

Berahino to Stoke £12m. They turned down £20m in the summer and didn't even get any game time out of him ;doh
  • Berahino signs for stoke
  • I ALREADY SAID THAT BARACKS
  • There is a part of me that feels Berahino could have been a good buy for us (a striker, pacey, good finisher) and in todays market £12m is a good price considering he's 23 with some fair experience and pedigree. But then his attitude when I've been fuming at Dimi...
  • From wba to stoke is that a step up.... ;hmm
  • I don't think so.
  • Maybe two steps sideways.
  • whufc.com/news/articles/2017/january/20-january/boardroom-david-gold

Well I don't think we're signing a right back this month, based on DGs comments in the above ;hmm
  • I like the Fonte signing; very good CB, Very underrated and a strong leader. His all round game is very good and he'd make a good partnership with any of Reid, Ogbonna or Collins. I think the fee is about right and sometimes the "sell on fee" and age stuff can distract from the important thing-which is signing a proven player, improving the first 11 and squad, and knowing exactly what he will deliver- thats the whole point of singing players at their peak. The Fonte signing could result in us playing 3 at the back more often which IMO it suits us very well and increases the opportunities within the squad.

As for signing a RB, if the right player/deal is not available then we should wait until the summer. We have enough to compensate and it makes little sense to sign an average/mediocre player now, instead of waiting for the right payer in the summer. We do have the option to mix up systems, and we do have options for RB and RWB, so whilst the desire to get one in now might be there, sometimes it does comes down to identifying the right target which may not be there in this window.
  • TWC, do you think we should go for Jenkinson? At £3 million I think he is well worth the gamble. We know he can do it. Totally agree about Fonte. ;ok
This discussion has been closed.