January 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• edited January 2017
    ;lol Why am I not surprised to think NO.

We don't need him.

He's got certain qualities, but is inconsistent and, for us, would be a luxury player at this point.

Who would he keep out of the team?

I'd rather spend the money on a position we need, or on a genuine, long-term, immediate impact upgrade. We aren't in the 'take a punt' market at this point, imo.
  • If he's not good enough for Everton .... ;biggrin

tbh, I think he should be loaned to to a Champo club. Play twice a week in that league.

Then we could look at him in the summer. ;hmm
  • Sky Sports: Jose Fonte will undergo a medical with West Ham today after an £8m fee and personal terms were agreed. The player is currently in London.
  • He was pictured at a Japanese restaurant in Knightsbridge last night ;ok
  • Yes, but the big question is.... Has Pedro Obiang added him to the WhatsApp group yet? ;wahoo
  • In time for Boro ;pray
  • The Fonte one is a bit strange. We're not better than Southampton. So, he's only coming for money (and maybe to be in London). But probably money.

I'll still be behind him and I think he improves what we currently have (just about).
  • He asked for a pay rise and two year deal to stay at Saints. They said no, so he said I'm off.
  • There was a good amount of frustration in the summer amongst many that our signings didn't actually improve the first team. Well this one does IMO so it's a no brainer. Ashley Williams cost £10m in his thirties so that appears to be the going rate
  • I doubt he'll play tomorrow Lukerz. He won't have trained much this week and hasn't played for a couple of weeks.
  • He will also have a week and a half to integrate as we have next weekend off.
  • He may also need to get injured ;wink
  • There's no urgent reason to play him tomorrow - we've just come off the back of a clean sheet..
  • I know some are sceptical about why we're signing Fonte but, given we have often played three at the back (which wasn't Bilic's plan when he let Tonka go), we need 4 CB's so we have one senior in reserve.

At the moment, if we lose one CB (Reid, Ogg, Ginge) it means we must go to a 4. People are putting way too much pressure on Oxford. The kid is 18 and clearly not developed enough physically to be a PL CB, yet he is our current back-up.

Fonte also gives us the opportunity to drop Nobes (not saying we should) and have another leader in the side to do his job.

Randolph
    Fonte - Reid - Ogbonna
    Byram - Kouyate - Obiang - Cresswell
    Antonio - Lanzini
    Carroll
  • That team tho!

;bowdown
  • Some would say with Big Ant and the Lettuce roaming..

#thatbeballin
  • We would also be getting proven successful PL captain. Just in case Nobes needs to sit out the odd game...
  • Fonte is a great signing in my opinion. We still need the RB and striker but he improves the team.

I remember when Chelsea were trying to move into the top 6 and before they could attract the big players they poached older players such as Gullit and Vialli who only had a season or two left in them but made there team better just to get into Europe. You have to take a short term hit before big players see you are a big club and are in Europe. Get the best players from the other 13 clubs below you if you can and build a great squad. Spurs have consistently done this. Lets get in Europe in the next year or two and then we can get younger better players.

Boom
  • Not got a problem with us signing Fonte, although I don`t have a downer on Oggy, others have made glaring howlers that have directly cost us goals. Can`t understand why we aren`t in for Jenkinson, 3 million seems a no brainer to me. Didn`t even know he was for sale until yesterday. I`m sure he would jump at the chance of coming back to West Ham. Him and Byram on the right with Cresswell and Masuaku on the left seems to give us good cover/options. If we are playing 4 at the back then Reid, Oggy, Collins and Fonte as the first choices with Burke and Oxford in a season or two. The absolute must buy is a centre forward. Would be very disappointed if we didn`t get one in.
    Lukerz, that team looks fantastic and full of energy. But although 3 at the back looks great on paper, we were so much better with 4 at the back against Palace and for the better part of last season. Just don`t seem to be able to make 3 at the back work consistently for us. ;scarf
  • If Fonte comes in, I would think our strongest XI is:

Randolph; Byram Fonte Reid Cresswell; Kouyaté Noble; Antonio Lanzini Ayew; Carroll

There is an argument for Obiang which I completely see and accept, but I just prefer Noble in the side than out of it.
  • Obiang has outperformed both Noble and Kouyate this season, IMO, so he'd be my first choice CM, probably with Cheik next to him
  • .....................Randolph....................
    Byram.........Reid.....Ogbonna.......Cresswell
    .......................Obiang...............................
    Feghuoli...........Kouyate.............Lanzini
    .................Antonio.........Carroll...............

Noble in for Kouyate until ACON is over, Feghouli looks a lot sharper now, hope he comes good. Definitely got a good core of players, looking forward to the rest of the season. What a difference a week makes. ;scarf
  • Alderz

There needs to be a degree of merit as to who gets into the side

If there were one or two other home grown local players in the side there wouldn't be as much of a downside to dropping Nobes.
  • FEGHOULI: I WANT TO STAY AT WEST HAM

Sofiane Feghouli has stressed that he's happy at West Ham and wants to stay at the club...
  • ;hmm

I wonder...

Both Ex and West Ham Central have re-tweeted a tweet from June about Batsuayi agreeing to join West Ham before Chelsea's last minute intervention. Probably nothing in it, but I wonder if it's a clue as to why we're hanging back on the Hogan deal ;hmm

Elsewhere, Snodgrass is carrying an injury...
  • Id prefer we sign Hogan over that Batshuayi guy.
  • ;hmm

I wonder...

Both Ex and West Ham Central have re-tweeted a tweet from June about Batsuayi agreeing to join West Ham before Chelsea's last minute intervention. Probably nothing in it, but I wonder if it's a clue as to why we're hanging back on the Hogan deal ;hmm

Who's June, and is she ITK? ;hmm
  • I'm surprised by the Fonte signing and without thinking about it much assumed we don't need him.

But looking at our goals against column this season, maybe we really do ;lol

Don't care which combination of defenders we play, as long as it results in a few more clean sheets.
  • If Feghouli stays we don't need Snodgrass

The argument for keeping Noble is that we've not won a game in the league without him in the starting XI for over two years.

• The argument for keeping Noble is that we've not won a game in the league without him in the starting XI for over two years.

Is this true?! ;nonono

I actually think we do need Snodgrass. Well, a left winger anyway. Feghouli and Antonio are very much right wingers and Lanzini isn't really a winger at all. I'd like a lefty on the left wing so we have more of a balance ;ok
This discussion has been closed.