The 'Couldn't think where to put this' thread part 2 or 'does my comment merit a NEW THREAD?'

Comments

• When I’m working in London, I tend to get very early (therefore emptier) tube trains to do so. Automatically therefore I feel an extra sense of entitlement. So if I don’t get the entire block of four seats all to myself for my entire journey on the met line, it ruins my mood for the whole morning.

Be glad you don't use the Central Line, the first trains into London are usually full by the time they leave Leytonstone.
  • I loathe the central line. I recently got on a train at Tottenham Court Road which was heaving. The train went no-where for 15 mins with the tannoy saying the delays was due to a track being discharged at Leytonstone - what does that even mean to a lay person?! I eventually just got off, drenched in sweat, left the station, got on a bus and was late for my meeting
  • edited June 2019
    They should make it clearer. "Traction current discharged" means they've switched off the the electric supply that powers the trains (we call it "juice").

They usually switch off the juice so that the "P Way" people can carry out a repair to the rails and/or remove an obstruction without electrocuting themselves (to get "juiced up").
  • I teach mental health first aid. The biggest cause of anxiety and stress outside of the work place is using public transport.
  • edited June 2019

Not even on long haul :nonono:

No. But then I hardly every fly long haul (only a couple of times in my life).
  • edited June 2019

When I’m working in London, I tend to get very early (therefore emptier) tube trains to do so. Automatically therefore I feel an extra sense of entitlement. So if I don’t get the entire block of four seats all to myself for my entire journey on the met line, it ruins my mood for the whole morning.

Our commuter trains are double deckers, the upper level seats are singletons and thus much prized, my station is the end of the line so I am always able to secure one in the morning, but like barracks, if I have to sit amongst the great unwashed on the lower level on my ride home, it definitely ruins my mood

• I just read that Mervyn Day was 64(!) yesterday.
    Think I might go back to bed.
  • Do we still need him? Do we still feed him?
  • I love how someone walks into you. Entirely their fault. Not looking or on their phone and you say sorry.
  • Or when a your barber holds the mirror up to show you the back of your head and you nod and say 'yep, that's great', even if he's shaved a phallus in your hair
  • You need a new barber :lol:
  • OMG, you mean to tell me that's NOT normal :nonono:
  • Expat - it is indeed a fallacy that your haircut should be phallusy.
  • edited June 2019
    It would appear that West Ham has hosted a baseball game before. And weirdly Mark Noble was playing :hmm:

(images via @WestHamFootball)
  • edited June 2019
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, boil the blood time

On the back page of the daily fail
    -Taxpayers fork out millions for West Ham baseball

I am thinking about contacting the press complaints commission as that is a downright misleading statement.
  • Oooh, rounders! :diva:
  • :lol: when I worked for Bank of America we used to wind up the Americans with the rounders one, and of course that real men play rugby without padding

They were not amused. :biggrin:
  • Don’t know if it has been posted elsewhere but Balbuena was sent off for Paraguay v Brazil the other day. Still, could have been worse, better than coming off injured.
  • And better he gets sent off playing for them rather than for us
  • The fastest recorded pitch in baseball was 105mph. Rounders that hurts...
  • Although the pitcher is not allowed to aim for the batter's head unlike a short-pitched ball in cricket. :biggrin:

• Although the pitcher is not allowed to aim for the batter's head unlike a short-pitched ball in cricket. :biggrin:

If the batter gets hit by a pitch they get a free walk to first base.

Or a free limp to first base...
  • :lol: when I worked for Bank of America we used to wind up the Americans with the rounders one, and of course that real men play rugby without padding

They were not amused. :biggrin:

NFL = Rugby for motorcycle messengers :biggrin:
  • The fastest recorded pitch in baseball was 105mph. Rounders that hurts...

Which is why I enjoyed playing it so much :biggrin:
  • In what is a pretty big list of 'they really didn't think that through, did they' disasters, this Adidas one ranks pretty highly. :doh:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jul/02/adidas-under-fire-racist-offensive-tweets-arsenal-new-shirt-launch
  • Someone has come up with and are using quite frankly horrendous twitter names (I had originally posted them but changed my mind, as I think they are just too offensive).

Can it be explained to me why Twitter allow this?

• edited July 2019
    It would seen to fall within the definition of 'hateful conduct' and specifically the prohibition on
    'Hateful imagery and display names: You may not use hateful images or symbols in your profile image or profile header. You also may not use your username, display name, or profile bio to engage in abusive behavior, such as targeted harassment or expressing hate towards a person, group, or protected category.

I guess they don't do anything about it because they can't be bovvered, and the policy is there to make them look good and cover their bottoms, but they don't actually care.

$1.2b (that's billion) profits in 2018.
  • Twitter have a long standing issue with hate speech. They seem too scared to step on free speech rights to bother tackling hate speech.
  • Spurs have downgraded their home game against us to Category B for next season. Maybe they are struggling to sell tickets as we are undefeated at their ground :lol:
This discussion has been closed.