Pre-season training camps and fixtures (West Ham)

Comments

• Only 8 outfield subs, so 2 players are going to have to do 90 mins. My money is on Cullen and Fernandes (as the players most likely to be risked).
  • No Feghouli at all so gonna safely assume that's him gone

Who else is missing?
    Reid, Lanzini, Kouyate, Sakho, Carroll and Hernandez

Only we could have all of those players injured for preason #westhamway
  • I don't think Sakho and Hernandez are injured.
  • More of a performance that first half.

Tidy in possession, and quick to close down, but not much in the way of penetration.

Hernandez is not injured - he was playing in the Confederate Cup.
  • we seem to lack ambition in the final third and our obsession with passing backwards is frustrating. we pass free kicks in the opponents half backwards and were on the attack near the edge of their area then two passes later we had the ball in our own half.
  • Ye a shouldve made myself clearer meant the ones that are injured (so excluding Javier)
  • edited July 2017

No Feghouli at all so gonna safely assume that's him gone

Who else is missing?
    Reid, Lanzini, Kouyate, Sakho, Carroll and Hernandez

Only we could have all of those players injured for preason #westhamway

No, not all are injured: Reid, Chicarito and Sakho are all training (they are behind the others, for a variety of reasons). Lanzini + Kouyate all started pre-season fit and on time. As did Noble.
  • edited July 2017
    http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/29-july/half-time-report-arnautovic-scoreshart-debuts-betway-cup

Cullen has started the second Werder Bremen game ... amidst a largely experienced side ...
  • Excellent move to make it 2-1 to West Ham - Martinez header.
  • Not in a position to watch the game but from what I read the link up play between Masuaka and Arnautovic has been really impressive which I'm looking forward to seeing more of hopefully

Nice to see pace and power in the side something we lacked last year
  • Even better move by Werder Bremen to make it 2-2.
  • Don't know why we bother with this Betway cup, we rarely win it.
  • May as well remove ourselves from the Prem then ;lol
  • http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/29-july/half-time-report-arnautovic-scoreshart-debuts-betway-cup

Cullen has started the second Werder Bremen game ... amidst a largely experienced side ...

75, WH put out 2 different XIs. One played 60 then 30 while the 'other' team played 30 then 60.

I wouldn't read too much into team selection, other than that one assumes Slav took the 'best' kids with him to Germany.
  • We do that fairly often too.
  • Only saw the last ten minutes but Rice and Holland had some encouraging moments
  • I think that needs to be the end of the 45/45 or 60/30 split and with only 2 more pre season games to go he needs to give those who will play in the PL some 90 minute games.
  • Loads if positives from that game imo. Still dominated the game even without many first team players. Also having to play with 10 men due to Snodgrass being on the pitch. We have some good youngsters coming through.
  • edited July 2017
    MrsGrey said:

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/29-july/half-time-report-arnautovic-scoreshart-debuts-betway-cup

75, WH put out 2 different XIs. One played 60 then 30 while the 'other' team played 30 then 60.

I wouldn't read too much into team selection, other than that one assumes Slav took the 'best' kids with him to Germany.
    Cullen started both games against Werder ... a relatively 'inexperienced' side started the first game and, conversely, an 'experienced' side started the second game. Perhaps Cullen (as well as Rice) is being weighed up as a serious contender for defensive midfield cover.
  • Rice is a great player
  • edited July 2017

Cullen started both games against Werder ... a relatively 'inexperienced' side started the first game and, conversely, an 'experienced' side started the second game. Perhaps Cullen (as well as Rice) is being weighed up as a serious contender for defensive midfield cover.

The pattern was clearly team A was mostly kids, and they started yesterday, as you say. Team B was mostly 'seniors' and they started today.

I think things like Cullen moving from Team A to Team B was was due to injuries and some necessary shuffling about. There were only 8 outfield subs available today, so Ayew and Arnautovic (which I didn't foresee) ended up playing 90m which wasn't the plan.

I also wonder how much Rice at DM rather than his normal CB was forced on them by events (Kouyate's injury)

As I say, I'm not reading too much into it at this stage of pre-season. ;ok

You know what happens if we get our hopes up. ;weep
  • I think that needs to be the end of the 45/45 or 60/30 split and with only 2 more pre season games to go he needs to give those who will play in the PL some 90 minute games.

;ok I'm sure that will happen now. Ayey + Arnie did 90m today.
  • edited July 2017
    MrsGrey

Cullen also started the Fulham game playing 77 minutes as well as having half a game against Sturm (as did most in that particular game). As such, three starts in four for Cullen plus a half in the fourth suggests he has caught the eye, particularly for the CDM cover role.

Rice and Holland also appear to have caught the eye, which is encouraging for the youthful players ...

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/29-july/holland-and-rice-earn-rave-reviews-pre-season-displays3

;ok
  • ;whome Don't say I didn't warn you.

I'll all end in ;weep

;wink ;biggrin
  • Watched Citys preseason game against Tottenham and it was scary

I know preseason doesn't mean much but they could've won that 8-0 against a FULL STRENGTH spurs......without Mendy or Bernardo Silva included at all

Hope we don't get a hiding when we play them

Would be useful to use that game to prefer to United who you'd imagine will be the ones on the front foot putting pressure on us
  • Hope we have a decent keeper when we play them, with Hart ineligible! Not taking a whooping off teams like Man City will help a lot in being considered the kind of team big name players would like to come to...
  • Next weeks game is a friendly so Hart can play.
  • edited July 2017
    yep, i was referring to league games. but i guess WHU_Champo was talking about the friendly, you're right. I guess a big defeat in that would also be a knock to confidence, but I'm more worried about the league matches after last year, if we have to play them with an inexperienced replacement for Adrian. Hope he stays. Or maybe we could sign Willy Caballero?!
  • Caballero went to Chelsea