AFCON 2022

So, Ian Wright says the AFCON doesn't get the respect it deserves, and is claiming that's for racist reasons.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59825904

Personally I think he's completely missing the point. He's comparing it to the European Championships, but I think the issue for most people is that it falls slap bang in the middle of our club season. Rightly or wrongly, the major football leagues are in Europe, and so arguably it's fair that (FIFA dodginess aside for next year's WC) the World Cup and the Euros are held during the summer break for the European domestic leagues.

I'm sure I heard something a while back that the AFCON was going to be moved to our summer break as well, but certainly this time it's still pulling players out of their domestic leagues to play in it; that's the issue imo. No-one is saying that players shouldn't play and represent their countries, but I certainly understand people (whether within affected clubs, or their supporters) not being thrilled at losing players for a month or so in the middle of the season.

Wright seems to be comparing apples and oranges just to get a headline; not his finest hour imo.

Comments

• In other news, I see that our good friend (?) Garth Crook# has named his team of the year. Surprisingly, he has named two Hammers in the team - Rice and Antonio.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59821480

Expect Lawrenson to predict a win for us next!
  • The previous thread in the series has been closed so I hope it's OK to open another one.

So, Ian Wright says the AFCON doesn't get the respect it deserves, and is claiming that's for racist reasons.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59825904

Personally I think he's completely missing the point. He's comparing it to the European Championships, but I think the issue for most people is that it falls slap bang in the middle of our club season. Rightly or wrongly, the major football leagues are in Europe, and so arguably it's fair that (FIFA dodginess aside for next year's WC) the World Cup and the Euros are held during the summer break for the European domestic leagues.

I'm sure I heard something a while back that the AFCON was going to be moved to our summer break as well, but certainly this time it's still pulling players out of their domestic leagues to play in it; that's the issue imo. No-one is saying that players shouldn't play and represent their countries, but I certainly understand people (whether within affected clubs, or their supporters) not being thrilled at losing players for a month or so in the middle of the season.

Wright seems to be comparing apples and oranges just to get a headline; not his finest hour imo.

In 2017 the AFC voted to move the AFCON to summer and 2019 competition was played June/July. It was meant to be played in Cameroon but was switched to Egypt due to various problems (stadiums not ready, civil war, etc.).

The 2021 AFCON was also originally going to be played in June/July but moved to January/February 2021 at the request of the Cameroon FA citing "the challenge of unfavourable climatic conditions" (May - September is monsoon season)

That was cancelled due to Covid and switched to January/February 2022.

I got all of that through Google and Wikipedia.
  • Not sure where I read it but I think they were talking about making the AFCON every 2 years. I'm pretty certain people will not be happy about that.
  • I think you’re right about apples and oranges, but I also think Ian Wright’s point is sound.

Only African (and Asian) players aren’t automatically assumed to want to play for their countries. Obviously there are reasons for that (AFCON being in the middle of the club season), but just doubting seems like it’s minimising the players’ accomplishment of playing for their countries.
  • I read the BBC article a couple of days ago and thought he had a point. In the light of your post, Buffy, I just read it again more careful. He says 2 things. ( According to how the BBC reports it - I'll try to find his original words later when I've had my coffee :-)
    First, that afcon isn't accorded the same respect that the Euros is. I make him right on that.
    Second, that the media coverage/ discussion is tinged with racism.
    I think it's fair to ask the question, if the tournament is belittled, and the attitude of the media/ fans/clubs is that it's not as important as the domestic league, then is that attitude rooted in a racist outlook ( IE, it's Africa, its a Mickey mouse competition, not like a ' proper' competition that we have here in Europe etc).
    Imo, I think it is, for some people of those who opine. In other cases I think it's more just a hangover from colonial arrogance. And in other cases, it's just self-centredness (Liverpool is more important than Egypt).

I don't think Ian Wright is way off the mark, but might be being a bit simplistic. ( If the way the BBC is reporting it is accurate).
  • Buffy, as the afcon and related chat will probably crop up again, I'm going to amend your general thread title and make it a dedicated one. :+1:
  • The AFC Asian Cup is played in June. I've not heard anyone say that EPL players shouldn't play in the competition.
  • What you could do is have a winter break during the tournament. The problem with that is our schedule doesn't allow for a proper winter break.
  • I counted 32 Premier League players going to the AFCON tournament, including 1 from West Ham. Here's the full list: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59496124/
  • The AFC Asian Cup is played in June. I've not heard anyone say that EPL players shouldn't play in the competition.

Because it doesn't affect the clubs here.
    No-one cares.
  • No one would care if the AFCON competition was played in June/July but because it's played in January/February it's seen as a problem. Klopp's comments are out of order and it's not a new situation, it's seems to me if Liverpool were 8 points clear going into the competition, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be an issue to him.
  • edited December 2021

Not sure where I read it but I think they were talking about making the AFCON every 2 years. I'm pretty certain people will not be happy about that.

What???

AFCON has been held every two years since 1968
  • If it was played in the summer there would be no problem. As international football is not as popular as club football then disrupting leagues around the world, especially Europe, is going to be unpopular in some parts.

The BBC have changed the text in this story by removing any inference of racism that was on the original piece.

"Is there ever a tournament more disrespected than the Africa Cup of Nations?" Wright said on Instagram. Well the Europa Conference League for one.
  • Not sure where I read it but I think they were talking about making the AFCON every 2 years. I'm pretty certain people will not be happy about that.

What???

AFCON has been held every two years since 1968
    I didn't know that hahaha
  • IronHerb said:

If it was played in the summer there would be no problem. As international football is not as popular as club football then disrupting leagues around the world, especially Europe, is going to be unpopular in some parts.

That's precisely why the AFC voted to move the AFCON to June/July in 2017

They also voted to move African club competition from August to May in line with Europe and expand the finals from 16 to 24

They rejected the idea of allowing non-African countries to compete or host the finals

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40670308
  • I am not pleased if a West Ham player is selected to play for my national team (England) or his African/Asian national team in the middle of the domestic season owing to the possibility of injury e.g. Dean Ashton.
    (This also applies to any player who plays for his European nation.)

However I will take an interest in his performance with England as I will be supporting England.
    I will take little or no interest in the African/Asian games he may be involved in since I am not African or Asian.

Am I showing AFCON disrespect?
  • I must admit I won't watch it but I also don't watch the the American/South American championship. Neither is out of lack of respect, just lack of interest. I also barely watch World cup or European matches if we're not in it. I would have zero interest watching Chile V Ecuador or Holland V Russia.
  • Am I showing AFCON disrespect?

Its not about you, Wright was complaining about the attitude of sports media
  • The same problems would be announced if Euros were held in Jan.

How many times have we had the "Club over Country" debate in this country ? How many people want their club to win a premier league title over a Euro Championship. Most vote for the former.
  • Am I showing AFCON disrespect?

Its not about you, Wright was complaining about the attitude of sports media
    More like Wright needed to do a piece to maintain his BBC contract.🤔
    I don't think I've seen any mainstream media putting AFCON down, more the fans.
  • If the Euros were held in January I doubt if journalists would be asking players whether they were going to play for their country which is what Ian Wright has claimed

"You are getting journalists asking players ... players getting asked if they will be honouring the call-ups to their national teams. Imagine if that was an English player representing the Three Lions. Can you imagine the furore?"

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/13962/12506318/africa-cup-of-nations-tournament-disrespected-says-former-england-and-arsenal-striker-ian-wright
  • I found it also quite poor that Watford were trying to block Dennis’ involvement as the call up came ‘too late’.
  • Journalists are probably asking that question because they believe that Clubs maybe pushing players to not go, like when International friendlies come around and certain players are injured for and miraculously playing a week later for their club.

I really doubt the media would be asking these questions if the tournament fell outside the club season.

The media just want to pounce on a story where they can catch a club denying a player to go represent their country for headlines.
  • edited December 2021
    So I totally got it wrong when I first 'quickly' read his article.
    I thought he was not happy that people moaning that it's in Africa and all the COVID concerns, whereas the Euro's were held during COVID in many, many countries...
    I should have read more carefully.....
  • A Dutch reporter asked Haller if he would go. That has been translated into 'the media' asking the question.
  • Lukerz said:

I found it also quite poor that Watford were trying to block Dennis’ involvement as the call up came ‘too late’.

Nigeria have announced that Dennis is not in their squad.
  • edited December 2021
    IronHerb said:

More like Wright needed to do a piece to maintain his BBC contract.🤔
    I don't think I've seen any mainstream media putting AFCON down, more the fans.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the BBC just picked up on some comments he wrote on his personal Instagram account, nothing about 'doing a piece' for them?
  • Fair enough.
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/59837314

Watford refusing to let Dennis go to AFCON because Nigeria was late getting the paperwork to the Premier League.

Seems a bit intransigent...
  • MrsG, In other words he is too important to let go as we need him to try to avoid relegation.