AFCON 2022

Comments

• I’m sure it will really motivate him!
  • But FIFA and EUFA keep saying clubs and countries need to abide by their rules then Nigeria fail to do so and then want to blame Watford.

#can'thaveitbothways
  • The rules also say that clubs have to release the players by 27 December.

#whataboutabitofgiveandtake
  • But that rule was relaxed.

#cantthinkwhattoput
  • Internationals. For every Sakho there is a Dean Ashton. Or do they just wreck West Ham players? Maybe this should be filled in the Conspiracy Theory box....
  • Mrs G, a couple of items in the "Couldn't think..." thread can be transferred over here
  • Yes, hence my bumping this thread. Will do when I'm on the laptop, as the old 'move' function isn't working any longer and I'll have to copy and paste. So hoping everyone adds comments here, not there :-)
  • Claret+bluesky said:

Benni's first match at Afcon tomorrow, kick off 1pm against Sierra Leone.

It could be a goal fest with Benni's boys 4-1 second favourites against the 400-1 rank outsiders.
  • ASLEFshrugged 10:06AM 82.14.152.206
    Big game at 4pm, Group D Nigeria v Egypt and its on BBC iplayer

Nigeria has Ndidi, Ineanacho and Iwobi

Egypt has Salah, Elneny and Trezeguet
  • Benrahma's just coming on in 83rd minute. 0-0 - Sierra Leone's keeper has made a few good saves.

Steven Caulker plays for Sierra Leone now apparently.
  • Benny missed a sitter.
  • He has. Algeria's striker is awful.
  • Algeria’s manager makes Warnock look docile.
  • I didn't get to see the match but they must be pretty good if Benni only gets an 83rd minute cameo! shocking.
  • edited January 2022
    Algeria has an endless supply of wingers and and attacking mids who like to dribble with the ball, especially now a lot of them go to Algeria instead of France.

Though I think it might also be that this manager's pretty stubborn (e.g. his hair colour policy) and it will take a lot for Benrahma to earn a starting place. Feghouli still starting for them.
  • Felt a bit sorry for Salah in that game. No service. Though when he did finally get a good pass he messed it up.
  • Felt a bit sorry for Salah in that game. No service. Though when he did finally get a good pass he messed it up.

What. He stayed on his feet with an opponent within three foot of him 👹👹👹
  • Algeria could struggle to get out of the group, probably need a win against top of the group Ivory Coast to progress after taking only one point from their first 2 games. Benrahma could be free from Thursday evening.
  • While I'll be happy to see Benrahma back, watching Algeria win at the cafes in Finsbury Park was so entertaining last time around.
  • Algeria could struggle to get out of the group, probably need a win against top of the group Ivory Coast to progress after taking only one point from their first 2 games. Benrahma could be free from Thursday evening.

And leading the line for Ivory Coast?

Sebastien Haller

I'm glad someone is keeping an eye out ... can you do the same for the other key FF assets please :-)
  • MrsGrey said:

Algeria could struggle to get out of the group, probably need a win against top of the group Ivory Coast to progress after taking only one point from their first 2 games. Benrahma could be free from Thursday evening.

I'm glad someone is keeping an eye out ... can you do the same for the other key FF assets please :-)
    Sorry, I'm only interested in him, as he's the only one who plays for us 😛
  • What a goalkeeping blunder in stoppage time
  • Not sure it was the best keeping anyway but it looked like the way the ground gave way might've had an impact - like his knee got badly caught int he turf.
  • Here's something really depressing.

I saw that one of the AFCON games had its first female referee... So I thought I'd just google what other major men's tournaments might have had a referee who was a woman.
    Google search indicates that the world is only really interested in which female referees are hot and/or sexy.

Weep? Shout? Go on the rampage?

Give up on the human race altogether?
  • Benrahma to get his first start against Ivory Coast. This one's on BBC.
  • Well Algeria already 1-0 down. Benrahma to play against Man U?