Covid and Football

This discussion was created from comments split from: Couldn't think....part 4.

Comments

• From the BBC:

Tottenham's postponed Europa Conference League game with Rennes will not be rescheduled, says Uefa.

Spurs announced on Wednesday that the match - due to be played on Thursday at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - could not take place following 13 Covid-19 cases at the club.

Rennes criticised Spurs for making a "unilateral decision".

Uefa said on Saturday that a solution that "could work for both clubs" could not be found.

The matter will now be referred to the Uefa control, ethics and disciplinary body.

Interesting ....
  • I think Spurs will go out of the Conference. They need to beat Rennes to get second place. UEFA will kick them out for failing to fulfil the fixture, hopefully. 😁
  • I think Conte and Spurs will be very happy with that, they will want to concentrate on the domestic fixtures.
  • But it's their easiest route to silverware.
  • It would also provide a place in the Europa league for next season.
  • Leicester City will be pleased...
  • FIA, UEFA.... and next, the EPL. Unless they lay down clear rules for Covid postponements, and apply them to all clubs, the fixture list will become a complete shambles.
  • Dean Smith saying he doesn't know if the game against us on Saturday will happen.

But also says they don't have many Covid cases. So basically he's just moaning because Norwich are rubbish and he doesn't want to play any more games.
  • He's just trying to get the game called off.
  • Tbf, it seems like games are going to be called off. Every round of fixtures another team gets a batch of positive tests
  • alderz, Nobody knows what is the cut off point for the number of positive results needed? Tottenham were claiming they have several players plus as many back room staff but Manchester United were allowed to postpone with only 4 if reports are to be believed.
  • alderz, Nobody knows what is the cut off point for the number of positive results needed? Tottenham were claiming they have several players plus as many back room staff but Manchester United were allowed to postpone with only 4 if reports are to be believed.

Reputable news outlets explain the Man U postponement being because the players couldn't train as the training ground was shut down. So not the proportion of confirmed cases, per se.
  • I started this with comments split off from the 'couldn't think where' thread as it looks like this will be on ongoing discussion in its own right.
  • edited December 2021
    Tonight's Burnely-Watford game is postponed.

The Premier League added: "In considering any application to postpone, the board considers a range of sporting and medical factors.

The Spurs/Leicester game is going ahead after the both asked to have it postponed.

Spurs wanted it postponed so they could play their outstanding European fixture.
    Leicester wanted it postponed because they have a lot of injuries.
  • You’d be right hacked off if you were a Watford fan going to the game, it was called off at 5 o’clock.
  • Cant believe they could have not called that off before now,No respect for the fans
  • COYI… but hope that with record numbers being recorded should there be a huge number of people crammed into a ground with majority not wearing masks…. What do I know…. Just hope it doesn’t cause further problems for all…
  • COYI… but hope that with record numbers being recorded should there be a huge number of people crammed into a ground with majority not wearing masks…. What do I know…. Just hope it doesn’t cause further problems for all…

Its not like they are singing or anything
  • edited December 2021

COYI… but hope that with record numbers being recorded should there be a huge number of people crammed into a ground with majority not wearing masks…. What do I know…. Just hope it doesn’t cause further problems for all…

Isn't there a requirement now for proof of vaccination for football matches?

I thought that had been introduced from tonight?
  • edited December 2021
    MrsGrey said:

COYI… but hope that with record numbers being recorded should there be a huge number of people crammed into a ground with majority not wearing masks…. What do I know…. Just hope it doesn’t cause further problems for all…

Isn't there a requirement now for proof of vaccination for football matches?

I thought that had been introduced from tonight?
    either vaccination or negative test
  • I haven't had my covid passed checked at any game this season though.
  • Cheers, alderz.

Of course, I can't see a good reason for not wearing a mask as well.
  • I haven't had my covid passed checked at any game this season though.

It’s only been mandatory for everyone from today (maybe yesterday?) so it’ll be interesting to see if that changes
  • edited December 2021
    Apparently Brighton are doing spot checks onlybecause it's impossible to check every single one without it taking hours... Never mind the fact that you also have to have photo ID, and of course loads won't.
  • alderz said:

I haven't had my covid passed checked at any game this season though.

It’s only been mandatory for everyone from today (maybe yesterday?) so it’ll be interesting to see if that changes

Ah ok. The club have always said you should have it. It will make it much longer to get in but seems necessary.
  • MrsGrey said:

Apparently Brighton are doing spot checks onlybecause it's impossible to check every single one without it taking hours... Never mind the fact that you also have to have photo ID, and of course loads won't.

When I went to the Palace game they said there were spot checks and I heard a steward say to a guy that they weren’t actually checking so that will probably be a massive waste of time
  • At Burnley the other day, as we got near to the ground a lady in a high viz jacket asked us if we were going to the match and had we been vaccinated.
    That was it.
  • I got to the Emirates early and there was a steward at the away entrance wearing a Covid Checker bib. I asked her if they intended to check everyones covid pass and she replied yes. I said all 60000 and she said yes. I went through security and entered the ground without being asked to show my covid pass.

Whats the point?

Also. You now need to fill out a covid declaration if you are attending a game. It asks for name, email, client reference, D.O.B. It then asks covid related questions like do you have symptoms, how many doses have you had etc. West Ham sent out an email with a link around 2.30pm. I tried to fill it in but when submitting it failed. They then resent a similar email at around 4pm. This one was submmited successfully. They had sent a Test email out first time around.
    I don't know what happens if this declaration is not returned to the club but I would imagine a good number of fans won't reply, especially if the ticket has been sold on.

What I think I'm trying to say is that this is all window dressing. You can be jabbed as much as you like but you can still carry and pass on the virus.
  • It's the govt trying to look like they are in control and leading, but really they are pushing the responsibility on to individuals and organisations. The former just do what they want, the latter aren't resourced or empowered to take effective action.
  • Exactly that, Mrs G. So much of what this rabble are doing is a tick-box exercise. Wooley guidance that they know won't be followed or enforced, but gives the impression of a plan.