NUFC taken over by group that has absolutely nothing to do with the Saudi state, honest, guv.

This discussion was created from comments split from: First one gone. (Manager, that is.).

Comments

• So, Newcastle finally bought by the Saudi's.... bye bye Brucie you would imagine
  • I couldnt decide on 'nice to see you, to see you, nice! or 'Good game, good game! So you are getting both...
  • edited October 2021
    Bruce won’t be there but they’ll become another Man City. They’ll be able to buy whoever they like and pay whatever they like. Their buyers are far richer than the owners of PSG and City.
    Can’t see how the PL let this one through.
  • They are worth more than the rest of the league put together literally owned by a state. Disgusting.
  • £300 billion and counting.
    Game changer.
  • Man City was bought before ffp so they could bung in vast sums with no limits imposed from outside. It's not quite the same for these new owners of Newcastle - it's a different playing field.
    However, the links with the Saudi govt seem fairly plain... If this really passes the fit and proper person test, then it suggests the test isn't fit for purpose. Or hasn't been applied properly.
  • edited October 2021
    FA have compromised their integrity regard fit and proper persons on this one and it may as well scrap that rule now. The idea that the money will come from Saudi Arabia and yet the management company will have autonomy is laughable.

I am surprised they went for Newcastle as with money no object I would have thought they would have wanted a London club and we would have been the obvious candidates. Fulham with a new stadium built, or tempt Arsenal shareholders.
  • 94% of Newcastle fans were in favour of the takeover. Which means 94% of fans willing to overlook the Saudis human rights record to have a better football team.

I wonder what % of our own club would feel the same?
  • Given the heavy Sunderland bias in my household, I wondered if my skepticism to the reporting was leading me astray, so I put it to the “fit and proper” test and concluded to my satisfaction, that it wasn’t.

• Oh and C&B, you had me at the “FA have compromised their integrity”
  • To be fair with Mike Ashley as current owner I think 94% of fans would prefer the Taliban let alone Saudi Arabia
  • 94% of Newcastle fans were in favour of the takeover. Which means 94% of fans willing to overlook the Saudis human rights record to have a better football team.

I wonder if they'll introduce punishments for poor play. Penalty miss = amputation!?

I wonder if they'll introduce punishments for poor play. Penalty miss = amputation!?
    and no women near the team
  • I really really hope it all goes horribly wrong.
    To think that these murderers are “ fit and proper” is disgusting.That state is abhorrent and to disguise who are are behind the thinnest of tissues is the ultimate example of “ money matters”
    The premier league/FA should hang their collective heads in shame.
  • edited October 2021
    This really just made me think of which Prem owners are relatively squeaky clean... Answers on a post card.

Also. if they were taking over West Ham then there's nothing any fans could do about it (including if 100% didnt attend games). The upside is supporting a club with ridiculous wealth and sadly a good deal of fans would turn a blind eye for the chance to be a Man City, PSG type of team

I have to admit, being a football fan for 40 plus years, that I preferred the past when money wasnt anywhere near as big a factor in the games
  • With FFP I think it will take awhile before Newcastle can be serious contenders they need to stay up this season first , would be hilarious if they got relegated
  • Newcastle FC have just become the most hated/ disliked premier league team, well, IMO in the view of any caring individual….
  • I think Burnley, Spurs and Leeds still rank up there.
  • No one is going to care when they are winning silverware. Didn't care about Chelsea / Man City etc. I am sure there will be chants that supporters of each of these clubs could give a monkeys about when they are hoisting trophies above their heads.
  • edited October 2021
    IMO this money & where it’s really coming from is far more tainted than those others, but what do I know…
  • Its interesting though

Would you swap relative mediocrity and a pretty baron trophy cabinet for a chance to win silverware year after year, but your club transforms completely from what it used to be?

The truth is unless you get this sort of investment then the reality is that it really is near impossible to compete with the top top teams. Spurs did it but they manged to break in just before the BIG money came to the league. Leicester have threatened but can never stick the landing and now may peter out

For me, I'd much rather keep this club and its traditions even if it means we aren't the best. I supported us in the Championship and loved it so as nice as it would be to win the Prem it doesn't mean I support WH any less that its likely in my lifetime we won't win it

But on the other side, football is naturally going this way anyways as it becomes more and more about money so getting a headstart on this may end up helping your club long term
  • It's interesting to reflect that the PL would have prevented the sale without the 'legally binding assurances' that the PIF and the Saudi govt are separate entities.

But not because of the Saudi's human rights records ... because they have been illegally streaming matches. And thus doing the PL out of revenue.

• I wonder if Steve Bruce has been summoned to the Saudi embassy yet to discuss his future?
  • FA have compromised their integrity regard fit and proper persons on this one and it may as well scrap that rule now.

The takeover was approved by the Premier League, nothing to do with the FA

IMO this money & where it’s really coming from is far more tainted than those others, but what do I know…

Saudi money is from gas and oil, Abu Dhabi's money is from gas and oil, Abramovich's money is from gas and oil.

Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi are both absolute monarchies with dodgy human rights records, Abramovich is closely connected to Putin who might as well be an absolute monarch.
  • Their new owners are worth £700bn. They could buy every top player in the world and it would hardly make a difference to them. FFP regulations would mean nothing to them as I doubt UEFA would do any more than fine them and it would be like most clubs being fined £1.
    I can’t see why a fuss is being made of the Saudi’s human rights records as nobody in football seems to give a monkey’s about it as countries would pull out of the World Cup in Qatar but they’re all clamouring to get there.
    Money is the sole driver in football these days and it will only get worse.
  • We can make jokes about the effect they may have on our football, but their human rights issues should have been taken much more seriously indeed. Murdering people they don’t like is the tip of the iceberg; they’re complete denial of women’s rights is in complete contrast to the approach we have in the UK. Their mediaeval punishments are deplorable to western people. In no way are they fit and proper people to manage an English club. I was worried when the Americans got involved as I could see changes to the game being made, but although many fans do not like our present ownership, I am thankful we are owned by GSB even if that means we cannot fully compete at the highest levels,
  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/08/newcastle-fans-deserve-change-of-fortune-after-long-decline-rob-lee-player-view

Rob Lee's view:

#nuffink to do wiv me
    #there's probably a lot of it about
    #whataboutery
    #headinthesand

So in answer to the question he posed himself in the penultimate paragraph, 'What do I think of the owners being a Saudi Arabian-led consortium and that country’s human rights record?' his answer is...

not gonna answer.
  • Bizarrely their supporters group are claiming that the takeover will help the LGBTQ communities in Saudi. How exactly?