Winston Reid - Farewell

edited September 2021 in Completed Transfers
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2021/september/21-september/winston-reid-departs-west-ham-united-mutual-consent

Genuinely gutted his time here ended on as much of a whimper as it did, but a fantastic servant for us & one of my favourite players.

Greatest hits include:
Millwall winner
Play-off final
Farewell Boleyn

This is a thread for us to express our gratitude, post pics & videos of his greatest moments.

I’ll start.

Winston Reid ⚒

Comments

• I always liked him, and his goal at the Boleyn qualifies him for legend status imo.
  • Such a shame (for him and us) injury robbed him of his best years, didn't realise he'd been here 11 years.
  • Thanks Winston ,And good luck where ever you end up
  • I think they signed him after he played for New Zealand in a World Cup and as usual I was sceptical of the wisdom of this and of his potential. How wrong I was. That last match epitomised his strength and commitment and prowess in the air. Sad news, but inevitable. Thanks Winston.
  • I did think Brentford might keep him for this season ,Would have been nice to see him get some love from us if he had played for them against us
  • A great defender for us. All positives when I think of him outside of his injuries ruining the end of his career which is obviously a great shame for him and for us. From memory we picked him up from the Danish league for next to nothing so I never begrudged his wages when he was crocked
  • My absolute favourite player we’ve had in the past decade. It’s such a shame it’s ended as it has. One of the best centre backs in the league at his peak.
  • I am glad he was on a good contract as although he must be gutted for his career he must be set for life financially. I would have liked him to be able to take to the pitch at the next home game. Or as a real send off let him come on to take the next penalty.
  • He was played at RB at first, which didn't help. Showed his class against the top teams ,and I think he would have done well at that level. Injuries held him back but he was always first pick when fit. A 100% player for the club. Thanks Winston and all the best for your future.
  • Good luck my man, wherever you go

COYI
  • alderz said:

My absolute favourite player we’ve had in the past decade. It’s such a shame it’s ended as it has. One of the best centre backs in the league at his peak.

He was immense a few years ago. I remember a match report that described him as "the monumental Winston Reid" and that has stuck with me ever since.

He was linked to a big-money move to Spurs (back when they were a decent side), and we countered that with a new six-year deal. That's pretty much when the injury problems kicked in so we never got to see him at his best at peak centre-back years.

Sad to see an 11-year career end with such a whimper, but I hope he finds a level of football that he can enjoy for the next couple of years.
  • Thanks for the memories Winston 👏
  • I'd like him to hang around and take a bow. I raise a glass to you Winston
  • I’ll always remember Martin Tyler’s commentary as Winston headed in the last goal at Upton Park:

‘Winston Reid is the man!’

He certainly is 👍🏻 Thanks for everything, Winston.
  • I remember the first time I saw him he scored a cracking header in the World Cup for NZ. I was really pleased when we signed him.
  • edited September 2021
    A great servant for West Ham. In these days of highly paid footballers testimonials don’t get much attention, but he certainly needs some recognition by the club, or at least a goodbye from the fans. Subs bench for an unimportant friendly???

Last game at the Boleyn ….. say no more ⚒
  • Bit late to the party but Winston was a good CB who gave his all for us. It was a mistake to give him a 6 year contract but his goal against United in the last game at Upton Park made it all worthwhile.
  • Give the man a testimonial
  • Why? We've paid him around £12m over the last 4 years. I think that is enough.
  • I think the money usually gets given to charity now when a player has a testimonial because they earn so much already, it's really about allowing fans to say a thank you, and goodbye in this case.
  • IronHerb said:

Why? We've paid him around £12m over the last 4 years. I think that is enough.

So we shouldn't have given Nobes a testimonial either ???
  • Great in his prime, 6 year contract offered was just insane. Good luck to him.
  • IronHerb said:

Why? We've paid him around £12m over the last 4 years. I think that is enough.

So we shouldn't have given Nobes a testimonial either ???
    Of course we should. Reid hasn't played for us for three and a half years.
  • But he has been with the club for over 10 years, which usually leads to a testimonial
  • Nowadays we would have to hire the London stadium to put on a testimonial I think read it would cost 300k to put on the game
  • could we not stage it after a home match has finished? The crowd would know and stay...
  • I'm a bit late to the party here, but I have nothing but love for Reid.

He was genuinely one of the best CBs in the prem for a couple of years. Serious interest from Arsenal (when they were good...) and others, so to counter that we gave him a top contract. We can debate the length now with hindsight, but he was one of our best players at the time with likely years ahead of him. It's easy to forget now, but at the time keeping a player of his ability here was quite impressive.

Plus his goals in huge games cement his status as a club hero IMO.

Would love to have seen what would have happened had he not had such injuries. And a real shame that his career here ended with such a whimper.

As a result he didn't get the testimonial he probably deserved, but he goes with respect as a player who at his peak was one of our best players at the time, always put in 100%, and genuinely seemed to love his adopted club.

I wish him a healthy, happy retirement.