Euro 2020 Final England Vs Italy

Is it coming home? is it?

There is no doubt this will be a test far greater than any faced so far in this tournament as the Italians have been many peoples tip to lift the trophy since their opening match. England however have conceded only one goal, and that from a set piece. Considering the embarrassment of attacking riches in the squad Southgate has decided to play it safe in every match so far and so it's clear he will do so again. I think he could have taken chances with a more attacking style in the previous matches but for this match I think the more defensive set up he has used throughout is perfect. I would play Foden or Sancho however in place of Saka, whilst I think I would let Mount keep his starting place but be ready to let Grielish take his chance earlier if need be.

Should I try and leave any bias aside I think Italy must be favourites and their match against Belgium was the final in some peoples view, my instinct tells me we can nick this however. I think it will be tight, nervy and by the end of it we will have been really put through it, but we can do it. We will win.

Comments

• I'm just going to sit back and see what happens over my protective shielding wall of Carlsberg Special cans.

If my interest in the football wanes I can play my new game of Spot The Face Mask. The rules are simple. The first person to spot somebody in the 68,000 strong crowd wearing a face covering [Those worn around the throat as a fashion accessory don't count] gets to down a beer in a oner, rush out into the street and give the first person they meet a great big hug.
  • edited July 2021
    adecoker
    I'm just going to sit back and see what happens over my protective shielding wall of Carlsberg Special cans

=) =) =)
  • Seen lots of talk today that Henderson should replace Rice in starting line up.
  • I think Rice has played really well and I'm not being biased
  • Replacing Rice doesn’t just take one player out, it takes 3 as Shaw & Walker don’t then become effective. It also then removes Sterling as he only gets into those pockets because of the width that the full-backs offer. Some people just can’t see what players bring to sides.
  • Seen lots of talk today that Henderson should replace Rice in starting line up.

In the Liverpool Echo
  • Southgate is not that silly. He is not going to change anything aside from the one position he has changed previously which is the saka position. Possibly he will keep Saka or possibly Foden or Sancho. I would go with Sancho.
  • I think Southgate will pick whatever side he sees fit. I don’t think he will drop Rice but of the two CMs he’s the one he subs.
    He had no qualms in subbing Grealish last night.
  • He's had it Spot on so far.
  • 1-0 Eng-er-land
    Carlton Palmer bicycle kick
  • I think he only subbed Rice because he looked really tired by the end. Southgate clearly trusts him and I'm sure he'll play. I think both Rice and Phillips will play. They work well together and it's not the area I would expected him to be tinkering with for a final.
  • I thought one reason we looked less solid yesterday was that Rice appeared to be playing a more advanced role than in earlier matches. So I don't think we were as solid, but Rice played more like he does for West Ham.

When Henderson came on he also didn't appear to be paying much heed to the defensive duties, although Denmark were almost out of juice by then, hence why he appeared to be 'soo much better' ;)

But I agree with the consensus above that Southgate knows what Rice brings and will almost certainly start with him again on Sunday.
  • One thing I’ve liked is that instead of having the stupid Rice v Phillips debate on social media we now have fans celebrating that it’s West Ham and Leeds together who have been at the core of England’s performances.
  • Against Italy, I think Foden would help keep ball possession. He was very sharp against Denmark. Southgate has at least four quality players he can use to change the game, so England if we make it to extra time =)
  • I think he’ll bring Trippier in and take out either Mount or Saka.
  • I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 3/5 at the back, the same as v Germany.
  • I just hope the game is won by a bit of good football not a dodgy decision a mistake or an error.
  • Rice to score. England can only win a trophy when a Hammer scores!
  • Italy have consistently played 4-3-3,

The weal link is LB, 1st choice LB Leonardo Spinazzola injured against Belgium, he was replaced by Emerson (who started against Wales but hadn't started for Chelsea since March)

Against Spain Napoli RB Giovanni Di Lorenzo was preferred

Would love to see Sterling played on the right skinning whoever Italy put up
  • So it’s just over 24 hours until kick off. To say I’m a little jumpy and very much looking forward to tomorrow. I’m 60, and was 5 when England won the World Cup. I don’t remember the game, or the before and after, although I am assured that I had a World Cup badge, but I do remember the day. My dad was in hospital in the London chest hospital with Pneumonia, and was by all accounts pretty poorly. My mum, got me, my older brother (6) and younger sister (3), on a bus, and 2 tube trains from Walthamstow to go and visit him. When we all got there, my dad was in room with about 40 other chest patients and a small black & white tv, watching the game. He didn’t want to come out and see us, as he had a really good view of the tv. Tomorrow, I will be watching the game, with him and my mum, blessed that I still have them both, but knowing my mum will be giving him a right ear bashing for a 55 year old transgression. 😀
  • I was 14 in 1966. I remember the whole family watching it in black and white. Just watched the colour version, and I was struck by the changes. Players were tackled sometimes ferociously, but no rolling around. No arguing with the ref, and all of them shattered after 90 minutes. Lets hope tomorrow's final is fair and honest
  • My dad was nearly 2, but my brother and I spent our childhoods being jealous that he got to see England win something
  • So it’s just over 24 hours until kick off. To say I’m a little jumpy and very much looking forward to tomorrow. I’m 60, and was 5 when England won the World Cup. I don’t remember the game, or the before and after, although I am assured that I had a World Cup badge, but I do remember the day. My dad was in hospital in the London chest hospital with Pneumonia, and was by all accounts pretty poorly. My mum, got me, my older brother (6) and younger sister (3), on a bus, and 2 tube trains from Walthamstow to go and visit him. When we all got there, my dad was in room with about 40 other chest patients and a small black & white tv, watching the game. He didn’t want to come out and see us, as he had a really good view of the tv. Tomorrow, I will be watching the game, with him and my mum, blessed that I still have them both, but knowing my mum will be giving him a right ear bashing for a 55 year old transgression. 😀

That is beautiful. As you say Wombat, you're blessed that you still have them both.
  • I'm the same age as Hammerwombat, I don't remember a thing about the game either but I do remember all the words to the chorus of "World Cup Willy"
  • Not going to lie, I am overjoyed we've reached a final. If we lose I'll be disappointed but I have coped with plenty of disappointment previously. I honestly dont care how we win it so it will not be tainted in any way if we do :)
  • I was 12 on that rainy day at Wembley. Our old telly conked out THAT morning. Me and my dad went next door and watched it on theirs.
    I clearly remember the match and the drama but most of all I remember I was bursting with pride for what OUR three heroes had achieved.
  • A friend of mine wants England to lose as he dose not want a spuds player lifting the trophy.
  • Console your friend with the thought that he probably won't be a Spuds player when the season starts
  • such a shame that this game is on the back of Covid, i was in Germany in 08 when they played Spain in the final and lost. The amount of people in stadiums , streets throughout Germany was something magical and special. Without Covid England fans swarming streets and stadiums would have been an incredible sight.
  • You think if when England win they won't be swarming the streets then? I'm pretty sure they will.