Euro 2020 Final England Vs Italy

Comments

• there is not enough police to deal with it either. :-(

I'm not convinced there aren't enough police officers. There were plenty of them to crack skulls at the BLM marches last year, there were plenty of them to stomp all over the Sarah Everard memorial in Bristol. It's not about resources it's about priorities.
  • If you appeal to the ignorance of certain people and groups of people to achieve your political aims you find you can’t simply put them back in the box when it suits. The raciest,, the xenophobic, the nationalistic ignorant using patriotism to mask their racism are roaming free emboldened by the belief that their views are now valid.
  • If you appeal to the ignorance of certain people and groups of people to achieve your political aims you find you can’t simply put them back in the box when it suits. The raciest,, the xenophobic, the nationalistic ignorant using patriotism to mask their racism are roaming free emboldened by the belief that their views are now valid.

I wish there was a super agree button when people make posts like this.
  • https://fullfact.org/crime/police-numbers/

What are the police supposed to do when being attacked spat at and worse? a lot of police officers were hospitalised during both those events . They were n't sent out to crack skulls they were n't sent out to protect the public/property . I don't envy the job they have to do but it seems people like to think attacking public servants is OK now days including fire crews , nhs staff . Yes the police are n't perfect but they are put under immense pressure to police events which were not stewarded by people organising them and that were not approved.
  • I've never heard of him and don't particularly want to again
  • https://fullfact.org/crime/police-numbers/

What are the police supposed to do when being attacked spat at and worse? a lot of police officers were hospitalised during both those events . They were n't sent out to crack skulls they were n't sent out to protect the public/property . I don't envy the job they have to do but it seems people like to think attacking public servants is OK now days including fire crews , nhs staff . Yes the police are n't perfect but they are put under immense pressure to police events which were not stewarded by people organising them and that were not approved.

Police officers literally beat women who were peacefully protesting against the fact that a serving police officer had abducted, raped and murdered a woman. They might not have been sent to do these things, but they did them.

I went to BLM protests last year that were all incredibly peaceful. The only violence I saw was from racist thugs who tried to attack peaceful protesters, which goes back to the point C&Bsky made. Those protests were all disrupted by racist anti-protesters, emboldened by toxic politicians. You can't stoke the flames of racism and xenophobia to get political gains and then expect the knuckle draggers to stay in their boxes.
  • edited July 2021
    alderz said:

Andrew Lawrence is getting exactly what he wants. He’s got attention, and some places will cancel his shows, but he’ll grow his racist audience which is basically what he’s been trying to do for years. He used to be an alright comic and then got bent out of shape because he thought political correctness was limiting his career.

He might grow his racist audience but he's going to have trouble finding venues that will take him

I clicked on all the links to buy tickets for his gigs, all "404 page not found", "tickets no longer on sale" or a list of everything else that's on at that particular venue but no mention of him. He has no shows between now and the middle of January.

Reminds me of Blackadder II

Queenie: My father used to laugh at...those people with the funny faces and the bells?

Lord Melchett: Ah, jesters, ma'am.

Queenie: No...lepers.
  • I agree attacking the women was disgraceful you also had people trying to burn down a police station which was equally disgraceful. The fact the he was a serving police officer does n't mean all police officers should be tarred with the same brush the same way all football fans are not racist as in all things in life you will always have a small minority who ruin things. I must admit politics in modern times seems to be focused on division and taking an opposite view no matter what. I just feel the police always seem to get the sharp end of the stick when they do alot of good work aswell.
  • edited July 2021

What are the police supposed to do when being attacked spat at and worse? a lot of police officers were hospitalised during both those events

The Metropolitan Police Federation claimed that 26 officers were "assaulted" at the Sarah Everard vigil but there is no record of anyone needing "hospitalisation" or even medical treatment. Until the police decided to clear the area it had been peaceful, there was a minutes silence at 6pm

The anti-lockdown protests were a lot worse
  • https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-56477887

Avon and Somerset Police Federation chairman Andy Roebuck said: "This is the worst violence in Bristol for many, many years.

"It's really unprecedented violence. Between four and six or possibly more officers are seriously injured and some have broken bones.

• https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-56477887

Avon and Somerset Police Federation chairman Andy Roebuck said: "This is the worst violence in Bristol for many, many years.

"It's really unprecedented violence. Between four and six or possibly more officers are seriously injured and some have broken bones.

That was the "Kill the Bill" stuff, although, as usual, the vast majority of protestors were absolutely fine, but there was some disgraceful behaviour by a minority of protestors after the main demonstration.
  • I agree minorities as usual spoil things as in all things in life. I don't defend the police actions against the women and don't defend the actions of attacking the police either. From a personal perspective my recent interactions with the police have been positive. Last year the headmaster at my daughters junior school was arrested it turns out he had been posting on the dark web that he planned to attack one of the students . They arrested him as soon as he posted that message, on his computers they found the worse kind of images of children and animals . Their prompt action saved a child from a possible attack and i could n't be more grateful. He was sent to jail but has now been released and has changed his name and left the area.
  • I agree minorities as usual spoil things as in all things in life. I don't defend the police actions against the women and don't defend the actions of attacking the police either. From a personal perspective my recent interactions with the police have been positive. Last year the headmaster at my daughters junior school was arrested it turns out he had been posting on the dark web that he planned to attack one of the students . They arrested him as soon as he posted that message, on his computers they found the worse kind of images of children and animals . Their prompt action saved a child from a possible attack and i could n't be more grateful. He was sent to jail but has now been released and has changed his name and left the area.

That’s obviously a good thing that the police intervened, and that’s what they should be there for - the prevention of crime. It wouldn’t have been front line officers though, it would have been cybercrime units.

I think, for me at least, front line policing has descended into a gang of people in uniforms battering protesters whether they are violent or otherwise. Or disproportionately targeting minorities for stop and searches or pulling them over. I just feel like front line policing is a joke
  • F1 driver Lando Norris was mugged in tge Wembley car park after the game. What great fans
  • Why do we keep calling these thugs Fans ,Not fair for us real fans
  • Frontline coppers were beating up miners in the eighties.
  • Frontline coppers were beating up miners in the eighties.

That was over 30 years ago, and, whilst I'm not saying Police behaviour then was acceptable, standards have certainly moved on since the 70s and 80s. Also, a lot of the miners then weren't exactly angels, and some "strikers" were being shipped in to deliberately provoke the police.
  • yoyo said:

F1 driver Lando Norris was mugged in tge Wembley car park after the game. What great fans

Where they fans or criminals who knew he would be wearing a £40k watch and so took their chance? Not everything that went bad on Sunday was caused by fans.
  • Conversation seems to have drifted off the game, a new thread perhaps?
  • What game?
  • Conversation seems to have drifted off the game, a new thread perhaps?

Well said Bubbles
    More about the game and less political and social debate please.
  • England lost ..........Back on track
  • Lets talk about the many transfer rumours being banded about on the other thread?
  • The point I was making was it's not new, referring to alderz.
  • "PrestonHammer">The point I was making was it's not new, referring to alderz.
    You're right, Preston, we're famous for drifting off the subject. It'll be fish puns next ;)

• Fish puns?
    I've haddock enough of them.
  • edited July 2021
    Sorry Mike, it's when you ask Alderz for some stats unexpectedly, it's an 'addock request

pass the black mac please ...................... =)
  • So are we seriously saying that we don't want people to have "political and social debate" because we'd rather have the same awful jokes that we've had for ten years on this forum? Because, what, it's more important that someone makes a pun?
  • Fine by me.
    Personally i'd rather keep football and politics separate but must admit it sometimes gets intertwined.
    Maybe we could have a separate category for people to discuss those subjects?