Newcastle at Home

Comments

• Carroll has lead with the arm twice, and hasn't even seen yellow yet.

Not a great start to the game. We look a bit pedestrian again and they've had a couple of free headers in the box.

And Nobles hairline has receded quite a lot.
  • Reckon we'll see a red in this game. We seem to be targeting ASM with some physical stuff.
  • Tragic football from West Ham. The passing is just atrocious then the inevitable pump of the ball to Antonio to flounder with and land at some Newcastle feet who look like they are attempting to play football.
  • Another half chance for Wilson. He'll take one of them eventually.

Our fullbacks really aren't very good. They offer so little at either end of the pitch.

Very niggly game so far. No flow from either side.
  • I think I'm more affective than Nobes by just sitting here in my armchair. Shocking so far.
    (It's not just the full backs).
  • Fornals and Bowen are passengers at the moment. Whole team seem a bit flat considering it's the first game of the season.
  • Couple of decent chances. Antonio with a strong run but a weak shot, and then Soucek heading wide from a good Fredericks cross.

Have we finally woken up?
  • Couple of decent chances. Antonio with a strong run but a weak shot, and then Soucek heading wide from a good Fredericks cross.

Have we finally woken up?

No, we haven't. Rice loses the ball, Newcastle break as our defence backs of, but Shelvey hits the side netting.
  • Oooo. Fornals hits the bar.
  • Oooo. Fornals hits the bar.

Apart from that he IMO has been a waste
  • Great pass from Rice to set Fredericks away. His pull back is skied over by Bowen.

We've improved in the last 10 minutes. Really need that first goal though.
  • Is Bowen ever going to take on the fullback???? Please don't tell me his skill has already been sucked out of him.
  • Is Bowen ever going to take on the fullback???? Please don't tell me his skill has already been sucked out of him.

Both him and Fornals like to cut inside. Which is fine if you have full backs that can go on the outside.

Without wanting to labour the point, Diangana is a more traditional winger that would look to beat his man on both sides, and that's what we lack in the squad now.
  • Not a great half for us, but the meltdown on twitter is a bit exaggerated

Think we grew into the half

We don't look comfortable at the back, and we are a bit flat....but we've also had chances and hit the bar twice

Doesn't help that we have 10 men on the pitch as Cresswell offers nothing defensively or offensively

Lewis on the other hand has been positive for Newcastle and creating space/drawing out players for Maxin who is their biggest threat
  • Fornals gives us little in attack. Anderson or Yarmolenko might be more of a threat.
  • Average first half...sorry to bang on but Fornals really fails to impress me...Hope to be proved wrong
  • All of our chances have come down our right

Because Frederick's actually overlaps and when he gets the ball tries to get into the box
  • Fornals off for Haller with Antonio left side would spice it up very very slightly.
  • Fornals is best centrally, he never looks good out wide.
  • I'd prefer Haller for Noble, get Fornals central where he does his best work

Rice still not looking sharp, wonder if hes injury free
  • Anyone for Noble.
  • not a great game especially with what we have coming up next.
  • our centre forward is on the left wing
  • the sad thing is that Fornals who is out of position will probably go off rather than moved to the middle
  • Well that was entirely predictable
  • I'm not going through another season of this trope.
  • edited September 2020
    OK Moyes you have had a pre season and this is still garbage and Wilson scores again
  • Only way we will score is a set piece.