Official - some people can't let Sam Allardyce go (counselling available, reasonable fees.)

Comments

• Lukerz

It's not exactly rubbish, though, is it?

It's simply how one chooses to look at things.

After the first 19 games last season we had 31 points, this year it is 29.

That's easily as valid a comparison as yours.

As to whether it was the right decision, I'd say more that it wasn't (at least so far) the wrong one.
  • You know, I sort of get this strange feeling that Twist doesn't, or in fact never has, been too happy with BFS as our manager ;whistle

What gives you that impression? ;whistle
  • Genuine question, aimed at everyone.

Now, at the half way point and based on what you've witnessed so far, was the decision to part with Sam the correct one?

Yes. For me, West Ham feels like West Ham again.

Now, at the half way point and based on what you've witnessed so far, was the decision to part with Sam the correct one?

Yes it was. If only to stop the clear divide he brought between the fans.

Also because there is no way we won't beat last years haul of 47 points, so it was a step in the right direction

Yes.

Can we move on now?
  • No

;devil
  • ;fishslap

Go to your room.
  • given that the owners didn't do anything in the Jan 15 transfer window to back up the excellent start we had to last season (which kind of tells me they were ready to part with him at the end of his contract anyway) and the players themselves were diabolical (to the extent they could barely pass to each other), then it was probably the right decision not to renew his contract
  • Baracks.....it's brushed under the carpet, but not getting anyone in during Jan (Nene in Feb) played a major part in the final 16/17 games.

Then all of a sudden they "find" £35m in the summer.
  • We were 4th in the league and flying so we were never going to go for much in January.
  • Move away from the Boleyn
    No emphasis on youth
    Actually a decent squad ;nonono

Doesn't feel like West Ham anymore ;weep
  • IronHerb said:

We were 4th in the league and flying so we were never going to go for much in January.

We already had injuries......and by the end of the month it was clear we needed a couple in.
  • Who was injured?
  • Grey - I always like to go by corresponding fixtures, as opposed to 'number of games'.

You could play Watford, Newcastle, WBA, Bournemouth, Sunderland and Villa in your first six games of the season, take 12 points + and then next season start with Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea, taking 3 points.

I know they're extremes, but comparing those set of fixtures would be completely unfair.
  • Lukerz

I see your point, but the halfway stage is, for me, a reasonable marker, since you have played every team once (albeit H and A will be different.).

You could argue that adjusting for promoted/relegated teams is not particularly scientific...
  • edited January 2016
    Grey - possibly, but when you consider last season's tally in those games was 9 (against the sides swapped for promoted sides) to 1 this season, it hardly swings the balance in Bilic's favour.
  • Good point Lukerz.

Bilic out.
  • IronHerb said:

Who was injured?

Carroll, Sakho and Kouyate, to name 3. And we had to contend with the ACON as well. And I think we were having troubles in the back as well, and Song was getting little niggles and not playing as well.
  • Beat me to it Tex.

;ok
  • Carroll played 5 out of 7 games. Sakho returned for the 4th round of the cup and Kouyate was injured. As for ACON, well, no one went. Song retired. Sakho didn't go hence his 1 match ban and Kouyate was injured. So we weren't inundated with injuries imo.
  • The squad was very thin back then - I genuinely believe they didn't want to put money behind their manager as they'd possibly decided that they would part company a few months later and prem safety was already guaranteed

In order to consolidate and sustain a decent top half position it was obvious the squad needed a degree of strengthening
  • I agree Sam (and the teams) performance deserved better reward in Jan than simply #nenetime. After being in the top four on Xmas day.

But they probably felt £30m in the summer was enough.
  • edited January 2016
    so Remi Garde says, apparently, he will stick with Villa even if they go down while Sam says, apparently, that he will pack his bags if Sunderland look certain to go down. ;hmm

Sounds like someone is trying to save his "never been relegated" label

Caution: A Tabloid Truth Verification Alert (TTVA) has been issued for this post.
  • Swiss

You could have checked it for yourself at

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sam-allardyce-would-quit-sunderland-7104014

where you may or may not be astounded to find that a headline

Sam Allardyce would QUIT as Sunderland manager if he thought they were doomed to relegation

which might suggest the view you attribute to him, actually relates to this comment:

Asked if he still believed his squad could claw their way to safety Allardyce, who has a proud record of never being relegated, replied: “I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t think that — I might as well pack my bags now.

which bears no relation to the attitude you impart to him.
  • right on cue, Grey ;ok
  • Swiss

Any reason you didn't bother to check for yourself before drawing disparaging conclusions about him?
  • Jeez....no wonder his book made such headlines / comments with the serialisation.

He's basically said nothing of the sort and they've come out with a made up headline, what a surprise.

• Right Decision ;ok - Lets see where we are after 38 games.
    I think in a far better position :)
    I for one would like to have seen Nene play more, he could have been last years Lanzini if he had settled in. With good management Zarate could also have made a difference he did when he played ;hmm
    Onward and upward, hopefully Payet doesn't get lured away in Jan & we can show our class and watch some great football over the remainder of the season.
  • There was also a lot of comments on this site that did not want Bilic and thought
    we should stick with Sam. I am glad that I was not one of them.No more Hoof. ;bowdown