Just how superstitious are you all?

Sooooo, I've opened the match thread for the Leicester game, but obviously the ECL Final follows that.

I think it will be extremely fitting, regardless of the outcome of the Leicester game, if Mrs G opens the match thread for the ECL final, but I'd hate it everyone thinks this will jinx the match if we don't stick to our usual "non-loser stays on" protocol.

So, what do people think?

Comments

• As long as I’ve got my match day mug it won’t make any difference really.
  • I try to avoid 3 drains
    And I still salute magpies 🫡
  • edited May 2023
    I wasn't really asking about your superstitions, more about whether you'd all be OK with Mrs G opening the match thread for the ECL 😂🤣😂.
  • TV volume must always be even as well.. but thinks that’s more OCD 🤣
  • See mug comment.
  • I wasn't really asking about your superstitions, more about whether you'd all be OK with Mrs G opening the match thread for the ECL 😂🤣😂.

You may not have asked but that's what you're going to get.
  • Here’s the thing. If we get something against Leicester, you don’t open the Fiorentina match thread, and we don’t win, I will never forgive you, and I will probably need to delete your account.
  • edited May 2023
    alderz said:

Here’s the thing. If we get something against Leicester, you don’t open the Fiorentina match thread, and we don’t win, I will never forgive you, and I will probably need to delete your account.

All joking aside, that's exactly why I've opened this thread; if people feel strongly about this then we'll let the boys decide when they play Leicester (if we avoid defeat, I'll open the Fiorentina thread), but if people aren't bothered then I think it would be fitting for Mrs G to open the thread regardless.
  • A lot more than 99% of me knows it doesn’t matter who starts the match thread. But idk man. It feels like a risky time to break with tradition.
  • I told my fiancé about this, and she mocked me
  • edited May 2023
    What about if Mrs Grey borrows your account for a while?
    Or what about if she changes her name to yours and lives in your house with your family and lives the rest of her life out as yours whilst you disappear from existence?
    And then opens the match thread.
    What about that?
  • I definitely don't want to start the ECL thread as it seems we always lose by at least 4-5 goals hahaha
  • alderz said:

I told my fiancé about this, and she mocked me

And now she is just another statistic
  • Hamstew said:

Or what about if she changes her name to yours and lives in your house with your family and lives the rest of her life out as yours whilst you disappear from existence?
    What about that?

I can sense a book here.
  • Hamstew said:

What about that?

I can sense a book here.
    50 names of Grey?
  • Irrelevant. We'll lose to Leicester. But what if Mrs G doesn't want to open the thread,?? Ooer, that could be seriously unlucky. And I forgot to put my left shoe on first today... 😮
  • If you play with fire your going to get burned ,So as much as I think MrsGrey should get some kind of an award for the site .think we must stick with buffy if we get a result at Leicester .Of course if we loose then nothing better then MrsGrey doing the final if she wants to
  • Or someone needs to figure out who has the best record of opening match threads
  • steve said:

Or someone needs to figure out who has the best record of opening match threads

Over 1, 3 and 5 years. This is important! 😧
  • edited May 2023
    steve said:

IronHerb said:

Make a flippant comment, and you shall receive.

You'll be surprised how easy it was to do this, but I've just gone back through match thread history and added the thread creator to a list of fixtures and results. Interestingly, the match thread tag is only reliable going back to a 2-0 win over Watford in February 2018, so I've stopped there.

Over the past 252 matches, we have had 12 incidents where we have not lost a game, and the person in the hot seat has NOT opened the next match thread (more than I was expecting). Of those 12 matches, we have won 5 and lost 7, including 6 of the last 8.

In terms of performance, we have two people that have a 100% win record on match threads. @EXETERHAMMER, who opened an EFL Cup 2nd Round thread against Charlton, where we won 3-0, and then subsequently wasn't quick enough to start the next thread so @imagelost did it and we lost 2-1 to Arsenal. And - and I think this is the clincher - @buffybegood.

According to the data, buffy has only ever opened two match threads - the wins against AZ and Leeds in the last week.

MrsGrey has also opened two match threads, but has a 50% win rate - a 2-0 win against Newcastle in March 2019, which was followed up by a 2-0 away defeat at Cardiff City the next Saturday.

In the past year, @steve is our best performer, with 7 wins out of 12 threads (58%). In the past three years, @Ravel49 has a 60% win rate with 3 wins from 5 games. And in the past five years, it's @Hamstew with 6 wins out of 10 threads.
  • I definitely don't want to start the ECL thread as it seems we always lose by at least 4-5 goals hahaha

Also, you have opened three match threads ever. A 4-0 loss to Liverpool, a 2-0 win over Rapid Bucharest, and a 1-0 loss to Sevilla. After your only win ever you forgot to open a match thread for the Manchester City game a few days later, so ASLEF did it and we lost.
  • alderz said:

steve said:

IronHerb said:

Make a flippant comment, and you shall receive.

You'll be surprised how easy it was to do this, but I've just gone back through match thread history and added the thread creator to a list of fixtures and results. Interestingly, the match thread tag is only reliable going back to a 2-0 win over Watford in February 2018, so I've stopped there.

Over the past 252 matches, we have had 12 incidents where we have not lost a game, and the person in the hot seat has NOT opened the next match thread (more than I was expecting). Of those 12 matches, we have won 5 and lost 7, including 6 of the last 8.

In terms of performance, we have two people that have a 100% win record on match threads. @EXETERHAMMER, who opened an EFL Cup 2nd Round thread against Charlton, where we won 3-0, and then subsequently wasn't quick enough to start the next thread so @imagelost did it and we lost 2-1 to Arsenal. And - and I think this is the clincher - @buffybegood.

According to the data, buffy has only ever opened two match threads - the wins against AZ and Leeds in the last week.

MrsGrey has also opened two match threads, but has a 50% win rate - a 2-0 win against Newcastle in March 2019, which was followed up by a 2-0 away defeat at Cardiff City the next Saturday.

In the past year, @steve is our best performer, with 7 wins out of 12 threads (58%). In the past three years, @Ravel49 has a 60% win rate with 3 wins from 5 games. And in the past five years, it's @Hamstew with 6 wins out of 10 threads.
    So what you're saying is I'm the best of the best.
  • You had a very hot streak of 4 wins on the bounce in December 2018, and you've won 2 out of 6 since then, so no, not really.
  • alderz said:

You had a very hot streak of 4 wins on the bounce in December 2018, and you've won 2 out of 6 since then, so no, not really.

I'm basically Moyes. Good times are just around the corner.
  • I request that my recent Man City thread be struck off the record.
  • I request that my recent Man City thread be struck off the record.

To be fair to you, out of 7 match threads you have 3 wins, a draw, and your three losses were against Man Utd, Man City & Chelsea.
  • edited May 2023
    Top statting. Thank you.
  • Top statting alderz 👏👏👏
  • Hamstew said:

alderz said:

You had a very hot streak of 4 wins on the bounce in December 2018, and you've won 2 out of 6 since then, so no, not really.

I'm basically Moyes. Good times are just around the corner.