Men's International Matches March-April 2023 ( senior and U21)

This discussion was created from comments split from: AEK LARNACA (H) THURS MARCH 16th 8PM ...PART 2.

Comments

• edited March 2023
    I'm shocked by that
  • One bad game doesn’t make a bad player.
  • https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Mar/17/england-mens-under-21s-squad-named-to-play-france-croatia-leicester-fulham-20231603

He's fairly well established as a PL player, so imo is playing at a higher standard than many of the others. Even if he's not setting the PL alight.
  • edited March 2023
    He's not bad and it hasn't been one game. Imo he isnt Prem quality.
  • He's going through a rough patch but when we speak about prem quality, I'm not sure I see loads of good right backs in the league. Pretty much all of them have deficiencies in either attack or defence, even those among the best like Trent. I don't know how many I can look at in the league and say I definitely want them over Johnson (or Coufal). So what is prem quality?
  • Until the last couple of games I thought he had the making of an ok RB for us, maybe not an automatic first choice unless he upped his game going forward, but a more than adequate squad player given his versatility.

Obviously he had an absolute shocker against Brighton, but I wonder if something has gone on behind the scenes at the tail end of last year as he'd not really been seen for quite a while. He got caught out once or twice last night but obviously had an easier time once they were reduced to 10 men. Must admit I'm still disappointed we couldn't keep Ashby here though.
  • edited March 2023
    Yeah maybe I'm being harsh. But for me he lacks too many qualities for his position. He's very slow and has no final ball in him. But even if he's having a poor run of form he shouldn't be called up to the international squad, unless it is because of experience or injuries.
    But then looking at Gareth's squad I'm not surprised.
  • Hamstew said:

Yeah maybe I'm being harsh. But for me he lacks too many qualities for his position. He's very slow and has no final ball in him. But even if he's having a poor run of form he shouldn't be called up to the international squad, unless it is because of experience or injuries.
    But then looking at Gareth's squad I'm not surprised.

I don't think you're being harsh. He has been a good defensive full back for us; his deficiencies up until recently have been in the final third, but that's such an important part of a modern fullback's game. I see Alexander-Arnold mentioned; he's a terrible defender at this level, but does at least offer a threat further forward.

The problem with Johnson is that this season he's been defensively poor too, IMO. To be fair, he has been played at RB, LB, CB and WB in a struggling team, so he's never had a consistent run in one position, which I think is something that has affected Kehrer's form too.

I like him, but I don't think he has enough in his locker to be a long term solution in a team that says it's aspiring to be challenging the top six more regularly. Obviously a good option to have in the squad, but I'd be disappointed if we weren't looking to upgrade in the summer.
  • Erling Haaland has withdrawn from Norway's squad with a groin injury, not sure yet if he will miss any City games
  • Shows how little interest these matches are generating here as not one post even though the England match is already underway. Rice in the starting line-up as I'm sure most of us would have predicted, Scamacca and Emerson on the bench for Italy.
  • Right on cue, Rice scores.
  • I hadn't really acknowledged it was a Euro qualifier. Just can't build up any enthusiasm for England games.

Doesn't help that Dion Dublin is on comms tonight. Won't be long before he's muted.

Good start though by England. Rice looking very comfortable again.
  • I tend not to worry too much about qualifiers as we almost always qualify. Hopefully a good performance will give Rice a confidence boost
  • alderz said:

I tend not to worry too much about qualifiers as we almost always qualify.

Considering that the top 2 go through, and apart from Italy we have Malta, North Macedonia (I know they freakishly beat Italy in the World Cup qualifier, but still) and Ukraine, I'd be very surprised if we don't manage to get out of the group.
  • alderz said:

I tend not to worry too much about qualifiers as we almost always qualify.

Considering that the top 2 go through, and apart from Italy we have Malta, North Macedonia (I know they freakishly beat Italy in the World Cup qualifier, but still) and Ukraine, I'd be very surprised if we don't manage to get out of the group.
    Exactly. That’s why it’s so hard to get interested in qualifiers
  • alderz said:

Hopefully a good performance will give Rice a confidence boost

Rice playing well so far, apart from the goal he's won possession/broken up attacks really well so far.
  • alderz said:

Hopefully a good performance will give Rice a confidence boost

Rice playing well so far, apart from the goal he's won possession/broken up attacks really well so far.
    Although bizarrely in the book now for being to slow to take a free kick.
  • BUT WHAT DOES HE DO
  • He’s auditioning for a move
  • Lukerz said:

BUT WHAT DOES HE DO

He does what he wants 🎵
  • For a man who created the Dube, Dion Dublin isn't half boring.
  • edited March 2023
    Ref checking the monitor for an England penalty after not giving it originally.

Penalty awarded.
  • Should be three but Grealish misses a pretty straightforward chance.
  • And then Grealish misses an open goal in first half stoppage time.
  • 2-1, good advantage played by the ref when Maguire took someone out trying to regain possession as he lost it trying to bring the ball out.
  • edited March 2023
    Walker booked, but they said he was booked earlier 🤔🤔🤔. Apparently the earlier yellow was for Grealish but my stream (and the line up's tab on the BBC website which shows bookings and substitutions) definitely said Walker earlier on.
  • edited March 2023
    I hope warning was given for a change in timewasting protocols, as 3 of our players have been booked for very little tbh. I've nothing against keeping the game moving, but all three bookings would never normally be given. As I say, nothing against it, but I hope it's consistently enforced throughout the tournament.

Shaw sees red now, for a second yellow after becoming the 3rd player booked for timewasting only minutes earlier. It was a rash challenge, especially as he'd just been booked, but I think he was incensed that the game hadn't been stopped with Maguire down injured.
  • edited March 2023
    Looks like Scamacca coming on for the closing minutes.

He's on with 2 minutes plus stoppage time remaining.