England Vs Senegal - Sunday 4th Dec - 7.00pm Kick Off

Now we have reached the knockout stages I thought we should have a match thread.

How good are the Senegal football team?
Senegal are ranked 18th in the world - the highest of any African nation - and won their first Africa Cup of Nations in 2021 after being beaten finalists in 2019 and 2002.

They reached the quarter finals of the World Cup in 2002 but did not qualify again until 2018, when they were knocked out in the group stage with one win in three matches.

They will be without several key players against England on Sunday, though, as Everton midfielder Idrissa Gueye serves a one-match suspension and Bayern Munich forward Sadio Mane was ruled out of the tournament because of injury.
(from the BBC Site)

My view at present is we have as much potential as anyone in this tournament as our squad is very talented. I think fine margins will decide things going forward as there is no dominant side, and so there will be little room for error in this knockout stage. As long as it's not penalties!!!!.

Regard the first eleven I think Foden should keep his place and I would either start Wilson or at least not be too patient with swapping Kane if he looks to be having little impact.

Comments

• We'll go through and then Maguire n co will have to deal with defending Mbappe n co
  • Certainly keep Foden on the left and Rashford up top with Kane, all in all I feeling optimistic of a deep run, certainly the Semi Final.

We seem pretty solid at the back, are able to keep possession and have creativity up front, ——- let’s be honest, that is not a sentence that you would expect to see on a WHU supporters chat room.

Come on England
  • Certainly keep Foden on the left and Rashford up top with Kane, all in all I feeling optimistic of a deep run, certainly the Semi Final.

I'm certainly not confident of reaching the semi-finals given we're likely to meet France in the quarters.

Ref. the defence, Maguire missed the movement of the Iran player (having been in a good position) for the first goal we conceded (the penalty did look very soft so I'm not going to be critical there) and Wales and USA didn't really pose too much of a threat so unfortunately I don't share your confidence in our defence.
  • Whilst the defence has been largely untested, I think the important thing for Maguire was getting some minutes and building confidence. I think getting through the last two games unscathed, and overall playing well against Iran, will have boosted his confidence for the knockouts. I also feel a lot more confident in our defence with Walker back.

I don’t think Senegal is an easy game by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think we’ll stick with 4 at the back for this one. If we manage to get through it, I can’t see a situation where we aren’t playing a back 5 against the likes of France, which does tighten us up even further.
  • I’m just waiting for Antonio to actually turn up in a match. He’s been so frustrating and dozy so far.
  • Did Maguire play well against Iran? He was at fault for their goal, and, at this level, one mistake can be all it takes. He had a decent enough game against USA as he headed away a lot of crosses/corners, but France will be a different matter entirely if we manage to get past Senegal. I agree we could then see a back 3; it's why, imo, it was important that Walker started against Wales to get some minutes into his legs.
  • Some of what Rice said in today's presser, there were a few questions/answers included in the daily World Cup "latest" that weren't included here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63818819
  • Team tonight seems to be (according to various online sources):

Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Maguire - Shaw
    Rice - Bellingham
    Saka - Foden - Rashford
    Kane
  • I like it tbh, although, as much as I'm not a fan, I think Henderson actually played well and was fundamental to a higher press against Wales so maybe can consider himself a little unlucky to miss out.
  • That looks like a front foot team. Henderson and Phillips to come on once, should, we be in control later.
  • talkSPORT state that Foden is in line to start whilst Sky say Saka will start. So if both do, you would assume it’s either Rashford or Henderson who stay in. I’d be surprised if Rashford was dropped after his two goals.
  • Senegal will be without Everton's Idrissa Gueye who picked up two yellow cards

They played 4-2-3-1 against Holland and Ecuador but 4-4-2 against Qatar, would expect 4-2-3-1 against us

Mendy (Chelsea)

Sabaly (Real Betis) Koulibaly (Chelsea) Dialo (RB Leipzig) Jakobs (Monaco)

Mendy (Leicester) and either Gueye (Marseille), Ciss (Rayo Vallecano) or Kouyate (Nott Forest)

Sarr (Watford), Diatta (Monaco) and either Ndiaye (Sheff Utd) or Dieng (Marseille)

Dia (Salernitana) 3

Spit the Dog aka El Hadji Diouf is on the Senegal coaching staff
  • edited December 2022
    El hadji Diouf, now that is a blast from the past that I really did not need :-(

Come on England
  • edited December 2022
    Not wishing to get too ahead of myself, but I think that France will be our undoing assuming we get through today.

Mbappe is shaping up to be the man of the Tournament
  • Harsh on Tripps if he doesn’t start imo
    I rate Walker highly
    But Tripps is the form man, the fit man, and the man with the great delivery 👍🏻
  • Ravel49 said:

Harsh on Tripps if he doesn’t start imo
    I rate Walker highly

Trippier was rubbish against USA, IMO. His passing and crossing was appalling. Walker is really important to the way we play, and his pace gives Walker and Maguire some extra cover. I’m a bit surprised Trippier didn’t come in for Shaw, though.
  • edited December 2022
    Rashford is dropped, apparently. Saka - Kane - Foden as a front three. Henderson stays in.
  • Kouyate unavailable according to Guardian, it was hoped he would have recovered from the injury he picked up against Holland but it looks unlikely
  • Sterling out for family reasons
  • I am also out for family reasons
  • Well I’m wearing my Atletico Madrid 3rd jersey with Trippier 23 on the back and that’s my contribution to supporting England tonight 😜
  • alderz said:

Ravel49 said:

I rate Walker highly

Trippier was rubbish against USA, IMO. His passing and crossing was appalling. Walker is really important to the way we play, and his pace gives Walker and Maguire some extra cover. I’m a bit surprised Trippier didn’t come in for Shaw, though.
    So you’re saying Walker is so quick that he can cover himself? 😂
  • IronHerb said:

alderz said:

Ravel49 said:

I rate Walker highly

So you’re saying Walker is so quick that he can cover himself? 😂
    He’s that fast
  • As I've mentioned before, I suspect part of it is getting minutes into Walker's legs; it gives an option of a back 3 against France, and also his pace might be usual against Mbappe even if we play a back 4.
  • IF we get through, Walker will be needed to counter Mbappe.
  • It’s hard to root to England when we play so boring. Do they know where the goal is?
  • Is Rice told to deliberately not make himself available for a pass by sitting in between opposition players? Seems to do it every game.
  • LIVERPOOLS Henderson with a cracking opener ;)
  • Henderson, Yes - to be fair my son had him as first scorer - is he a time traveler
This discussion has been closed.