WOLVES (H) OCT 1ST

edited September 2022 in Match Threads
My first match thread,never felt the need to do one .But lets be honest you people suck at this .You know who you are .1 win in 7 is just sad .How sure am i that i can bring 3 points .That if you like i will also start the Anderlect match thread now .Cornet and Benrahma need to start this one .Will Moyes surprise us all and go 2 up front .No need to thank me .Something i just had to do .Your welcome

Comments

• I'm taking this personally after VAR robbed me against Chelsea.

(This might be the best thread opener we've had)
  • Fully expect Soucek to be in the line up and would be shocked if he's dropped by Moyes

I also expect Fornals and Bowen to start
  • 18th v 17th, the two teams with fewest goals (3) so we're hardly likely to be entertained with a goalfest

Nathan Collins' kung fu kick against Grealish deprives Lage of one of six players who has started all seven games this season with the dilemma of who to start at CB.

Wolves allowed Coady, Saiss and Boly to leave in the summer so the only CBs available are 23yo Toti who started 4 times last season or 21yo Yerson Mosquera who has had 10 minutes in the League Cup. The alternative is playing someone like LB Jonny out of position

Both Raul Jiminez and deadline day signing Sasa Kalajdzic are injured so LW Podence started as a makeshift CF against City but Diego Costa could be ready for the bench.

Ruben Neves is very much Wolves key player, at the centre of the 4-3-3, he leads in tackles, interceptions and second in passes.

I think we could get something out of this
  • I'm worried that they'll do a Brighton against us. We struggled in the first fixture against them last season because they were happy to keep the ball even without creating many chances because of their lack of striker. It's very boring to watch and seems frustrating to play against. Waiting to nick the ball from them wasn't effective and then when we did get the ball we rushed the attack and lost the ball. The same thing happened against Brighton this season and they're the two teams that are happy to play like that.

Moyes will have needed to have learned from the Brighton game and play more aggressively in this one, I think. If he does, I think we have a good chance.
  • Neves did drop into the defence when Collins was sent off so that’s another option for them.
    But will definitely weaken their midfield without him dictating play.
  • Ravel49 said:

Neves did drop into the defence when Collins was sent off so that’s another option for them.
    But will definitely weaken their midfield without him dictating play.

If Neves drops into defence then loan signing 21yo Boubacar Traore or Wolves youth product Connor Roana looks most likely to fill the gap

I still feel we could get a result out of this
  • I think must rather than could more fits the bill.
  • This is where Moyes begins to show his tactical genius. Having found that the counter attacking play was less effective as teams respected us more and other than the top four or five sat back a little deeper, he has now made us look so poor that teams will fancy going for all three points again and come straight at us. Bingo! Bowen and Antonio a goal each and a thunderbolt from Scametta in his four minute cameo to put it to bed.
  • Dont forget they should have Costa up and running for this one ,And i dont mean the coffee one
  • As Ham would say:
    Loss
  • This is the game where all the near misses go in and we come up massive. 6 - 0 Irons.
  • Well, the mighty Urchins have just won 6-0 so why not? COYI
  • steve said:

Dont forget they should have Costa up and running for this one ,And i dont mean the coffee one

Costa hasn't played since December 2021. after the City game Lage said that Costa was fit but "he’s not ready to compete at this level" and "I hope that in two weeks we can put him at a level where he is a solution on the bench".

Doesn't sound as if Lage thinks he'll be ready for the starting XI
  • Nah, hes giving it Lage ;)
  • This game should be postponed following the precedent set by Brighton v Palace should it not?
  • Do you want it postponed?
  • Not really, I just like to see uniformity.
  • edited September 2022
    They should have put the Brighton v Palace game back on as wasn't the rail strike cancelled?
  • They should have put the Brighton v Palace game back on as wasn't the rail strike cancelled?

Why did Brighton vs. Crystal Palace remain postponed?

Seven of the 10 scheduled Premier League matches were given the go-ahead on the weekend of September 17 — and the derby was not one of them.

Police forces in the region already face a huge challenge because of the state funeral on September 19, and providing resources to put the game back on at short notice proved impossible.

"Following extensive consultation with clubs, police, local Safety Advisory Groups and other relevant authorities, there was no other option but to postpone," the Premier League said in a statement confirming that the game would remain off.

"The Premier League would like to thank the UK Football Policing Unit and other police forces across the country, as well as our broadcast partners, for their support during this process, and will continue to liaise with them ahead of the weekend."
  • I think the PL didn’t want to make itself look stupid.
  • If the match was postponed Collins would have completed his 3-match ban and Costa would have more time to get match ready

I'd rather play them now than later
  • I think it was that it was postponed because of the planned strike action.

So the police who were then freed up were allocated other duties in relation to London/funeral/other stuff going on.

Then the strike was cancelled and it was going to be a major exercise to get all the redeployed police back again for the match and find new officers to do the now-unstaffed functions in relation to the funeral stuff.

I can quite see why the game, once postponed, stayed postponed in the circs.
  • Is there a ‘nailed it on the head’ reaction? And if not, why?? 😜
  • We've hit the woodwork five times this season and the ball stayed out every time. So, logically we'll have at least two 'in-off-the-post' goals =) *nb I'm using the New Truss Logic here....
  • Time for some changes:

Fabianski
    Coufal - Zouma - Kehrer - Cresswell
    Paqueta - Rice - Fornals
    Cornet - Benrahma
    Scamacca

Areola, Dawson, Ogbonna, Emerson, Downes, Soucek, Lanzini, Bowen, Antonio
  • My issue is Benrahma has been effective this season playing more centrally. I'd rather drop Paqueta to ensure he can still play there.
  • edited September 2022
    You could do a slight change & bring Emerson in at LWB, Benrahma behind Cornet & Scamacca. I want to see a midfield 3 of Fornals, Rice & Paqueta as I see that as our only option now having not signed a midfielder & Soucek’s form. We need a proper 4-3-3, not 4-2-3-1.
  • Also slightly tempted to move Kehrer to RB & bring Dawson in for Coufal.
  • Lukerz, Good idea but can you see DM actually doing that?
  • We could always give Downes a go...

#In like Flynn