FCSB (H) Europa Conference Thursday 8 September 8pm ko BT Sport 2

After the disappointment of Saturday let's get positive about playing a side that haven't qualified for the Group Stage of any UEFA competition since 2017, are ranked 92nd in Europe, are currently languishing in 13th in the Romanian Supaliga (P7 W1 D4 L2) and lost 2-1 away to FCV Farul Constanta last Wednesday

FCSB were supposed to be playing Cluj on Sunday but it was postponed to give both teams more time to prepare for their Europa Conference matches this week

The match has been rescheduled for 15 December as I suppose by then both teams expect to be free of European commitments...

Comments

• A really good positive performance please. Get all that frustration out from Saturday and hammer ‘em.
  • What Slacker said
  • edited September 2022
    A bit of Googling on my meal break

FCSB's Florin Tanase was top scorer in the Supaliga for the last two seasons but he left in the summer to join Abu Dhabi side Al Jazira. He's been replaced by Italian CF Andrea Compagno, signed from Supaliga rivals FC U Craiova 1948 for €1.5m

At the other end of the pitch 23yo GK Andrei Vlad has been benched despite being FCSB's No. 1 for the last two seasons (109 appearances). 22yo Stefan Tarnovanu is preferred in goal

Vlad the Impaled?

Darius Olaru looks quite useful, plays in the No.10 spot, got his call up to the Romanian squad June 2021 and capped 6 times. We were linked with him in 2021 and this summer

Manager Nicolae Dica has only been at FCSB since 26 July, replacing Anton "Toni" Petrea (sounds like a Mafia hitman) who quit after FCSB failed to win any of their first three games. Dica has been at FCSB twice before, as assistant manager from June 2014 to July 2015 and as manager from May 2017 until he resigned in December 2018.

FCSB's owner George "Gigi" Becali (another Mafia hitman) made his fortune through some rather dodgy property deals with the Romanian army after the fall of Ceausescu. He was jailed for three and a half years in 2013 for corruption.

He has a painting in his office of "The Last Supper" with him as Jesus and FCSB players and manager as the disciples

Sullivan and Gold don't seem so bad,
  • "replacing Anton "Toni" Petrea who quit after FCSB failed to win any of their first three games"

Hmm. ;)
  • Sullivan and Gold don't seem so bad,

Wash your mouth out.
  • Just watched a video on all the conference stadiums we have a the biggest by quite a margin but there are some decent stadiums and a few that would not look out of place in league 1
  • edited September 2022
    Areola
    Coufal - Kehrer - Ogbonna - Emerson
    Rice - Downes
    Cornet - Paqueta - Benrahma
    Scamacca

We need to produce a positive performance & result. The last 4 games have been ‘better’ since our dismal defeat to Brighton but this has still been a very poor start to the season with a lack of goals in the league.

A positive result here & then another win against Newcastle is desperately needed otherwise this season will never get started.
  • In a similar vein to Aslef’s post and his googling on FCSB, I’m sure they have their very own Aslef’s who are commenting on our current record of 1 win and 4 defeats and only 3 goals in 6 games.
    Let’s shock them on Thursday.
  • edited September 2022
    Lukerz said:

Areola
    Rice - Downes
    Scamacca

Why not play Ashby instead of Coufal who definitely needs a break before the Sunday game? Maybe even Coventry for Rice...

• Lukerz said:

Areola
    Rice - Downes
    Scamacca

Why not play Ashby instead of Coufal who definitely needs a break before the Sunday game? Maybe even Coventry for Rice...

No way we risk a CM of Coventry and Downes until the group is won imo. Given that we refused to let Ashby leave I think he should get a start here.
  • Soucek will start and score I reckon.
    I would for sure play Cornet
  • We have the players to put out a strong team , I think it would be a mistake to put out a team of youngsters and fringe players at this would make us disjointed and asking for trouble. We have done it before and ended up losing I can see a few changes but overall a strong line up. Wait to we qualify like last season then give these players like Coventry a run out or when we are 3-0 up
  • Lets just win the group a.s.a.p & then go from there. Hopefully we have got more than enough quality in the squad, I know, to do that which will help us also get us some progress in the Premier League.
  • He really needs to start playing Cornet more, guy actually runs at the byline. A bit disappointed he has only been getting 15 minutes or so a game.
  • I agree Cornet should start this, he's looked dangerous in the few short outings he's had so far.
  • Wholesale changes for tonight.
  • Areola
    Coufal Kehrer Ogbonna Emerson
    Downes Rice Lanzini
    Cornet Scamacca Benrahma
  • Tonight’s game given the go ahead.
  • Paqueta should be starting for me ,just the type of game to get him up to speed
  • Areola
    Downes Rice Lanzini
    Cornet Scamacca Benrahma

Think that will be

Areola
    Downes Rice
    Cornet Lanzini Benrahma
    Scamacca

• Scamacca and Cornet, the new Hartson and Berkovic
  • Lots of possession but they’ve had the only shots.
  • Liking the pace Emerson/Cornet are giving us on the left
  • Must admit I thought Cornet woud have played on the right instead of Bowen, but Benrahma is over there instead.
  • Downes looking good
  • Tonight’s game given the go ahead.

I had resigned myself to not seeing this, because a friend had got us tickets for theatre.

But just as that down in the foyer with a glass of wine, they announced it was closed and we should all go away immediately.

Hurrah.

• Shooting is obviously not covered in training.
  • Eghhhh ......

Was warned once already
  • Goodness me, shocking to be losing.