FCSB (H) Europa Conference Thursday 8 September 8pm ko BT Sport 2

124»

Comments

• Antonio at his best there

3-1 and game over
  • Breathing space, good goal by Antonio.
  • Antonio from ridiculous to sublime
  • Dawson on for Ogbonna 👏👏👏
  • Downes has been our MOTM. I don’t really understand the disapproval of Emerson - I think he got forward well but didn’t do much defensively, which is exactly what he’s like.

I am worried for Scamacca. We are so geared up to play to Antonio’s strengths, that any striker that isn’t him will struggle to succeed.
  • Antonio has 10 goals in each of the last 3 seasons, pretty much playing every minute as the only striker we had....he was running in empty from Jan the 2nd half of last season

If we can rotate him and keep him fresh hopefully we can get the best out of him
  • What a performance by Downes. Also Fornals has completely changed the game.
  • Downes certainly deserves a start
  • It’s good to finally beat a Romanian team in a European competition.
  • Great win. Superb comeback. At last, we have quality on the bench and it counted. Antonio was the game changer. Downes was excellent.
  • Scamacca had the chances in the second half, but clearly not fit and feeling the effects of his illness. I am confident he will do well, but it is great to see Antonio coming on after the defence had already had plenty of work.
  • If I had to give player ratings:
    Areola 5.5
    Coufal 5
    Ogbonna 5.5
    Kehrer 6
    Emerson 5.5
    Lanzini 5
    Rice 6
    Downes 7.5
    Benrahma 5.5
    Scammaca 5.5
    Cornet 7

Antonio 8
    Paqueta 6
    Bowen 7
    Fornals 7.5
    Dawson N/A
  • Downes was very good.
    Antonio and Fornals changed the game.
    Rice looked good second half
  • I was out earlier and have only just watched the match.
    Downes looked good, Antonio’s goal was a belter, the first half was poor, Coufal had a ‘mare.
    Best bit though was reading some of the early comments on this thread.😂
  • Went last night there were so many FCSB in the home end who were n't even being subtle about it cheering when they scored etc needless to say this resulted in a lot of them being thrown out the stewards inside the ground had their hands full not sure how many got in but there were thousands outside the ground before the match. The games itself thought we were weak in midfield first half very wasteful although Scamacca had 2 decent chances but i will put that down to missing alot of training due to illness though his hold play was good. 2nd half Moyes did n't wait for once and subs made the difference , though it was a soft penalty and their keeper could have done better with 2nd and 3rd goals but was good to see the confidence return abit once we scored and we looked more like the team of last year
  • Antonio's goal was very Haalandesque.
  • P_L_F, The FCSB Chairman was saying there would 10,000 of their fans coming to the game but the police said a plan was being put in place to stop them getting in the home areas.
  • Downes strengths, basically why we went in for him, were shown on the stats when he arrived. He played in a ball retaining side and his jobs were to break up play, retain and distribute (which I believe is his best attribute). Judging by the comments when he arrived, he's pretty good at it and I'm glad he got a start to show it.

I hear the comments re Scamacca and I think its a case of our players getting to know him better and how to feed him the ball. He is class and I think will show it
  • wonder how long it will take Man City players to get to know Haaland =)
  • Positive takes: Downes looks completely at home in this level. Fornals and Antonio link up brilliantly. We've found a penalty taker. The team came back from being one down. And the lack of VAR meant two goals didn't get scrubbed off
    Negative takes: not today, thanks 🙂
  • Downes reminded me of a Scott Parker in this game.
  • I can see what you mean Lukerz.
  • Was an odd game. We started with loads of intensity. Zipping the ball about, making the pitch wide, pushing full-backs forward. Cornet & Emerson linked up really nicely, Scamacca was getting chances albeit not doing anything with them but show he’s been sick for two weeks. Emerson switched off a few times & Lanzini was anonymous but, other than that, it was an encouraging start.

We then lost our way which seemed to coincide with Moyes switching Cornet & Benrahma. FCSB then got into a bit of a process of making the game scrappy (few cheap free-kicks) & then they scored. After that, we lost all our rhythm until we got the second half penalty. Then, for the final 20 minutes, we were blistering. Fornals made a massive difference, as did Antonio.

We have shown much better signs since losing to Brighton but we still have a lot to do to turn this into a decent season.
  • Lukerz said:

Downes reminded me of a Scott Parker in this game.

Was he wearing a ridiculous looking cardigan???
  • I think so judging by his spin cycles.