Pre-season Friendly - Servette (N), Friday 8th July:

Thought I'd get this going as our first pre-season game is only a week away. Presumably the internationals are unlikely to feature given they'll only start training on Monday, so based on what we've seen from the Scotland training camp we'll line up something like:

Fab
Ashby Zouma Ogbonna Cresswell
Coventry Lanzini Fornals
Oko-Flex Antonio Benrahma

And the rest of the U23s making up the bench alongside Dawson and Diop.

Very light in terms of first team options, but as always, building match fitness is the priority at this time of year.

Comments

• Don't we start with two fixtures on the same day

So theoretically we could do with 44 players right? A 1st half and 2nd half XI in both
  • 8 July Servette
    12 July Ipswich
    12 July Boreham Wood
    16 July Reading
    19 July Rangers
    23 July Luton
    30 July Lens
  • We have a separate pre season thread.

At the moment can't merge.

So decide which one you want to keep and I'll close the other
  • Don't we start with two fixtures on the same day

So theoretically we could do with 44 players right? A 1st half and 2nd half XI in both

I've been thinking about this. There's only 10 days until these fixtures so I can't see many, if any, new faces before then. If we follow last season's example of playing a mixture of first team and U23 players for both games, and assuming everyone is fit and ready, we're looking at:

Areola
    Coufal Zouma Ogbonna Cresswell
    Coventry Soucek
    Oko-Flex Antonio Fornals

and

Fab
    Ashby Dawson Aguerd Johnson
    Rice Lanzini
    Vlasic Bowen Benrahma

The benches will then comprise of Trott, Randolph, Diop, Longelo, Masuaku, Alese, Forson, Chesters, Nevers, Potts and maybe the young NI youngsters we've bought in recently, so we probably have enough players to cater for both fixtures.
  • edited July 2022

Areola
    Coventry Soucek
    Oko-Flex Antonio Fornals

and

Fab
    Rice Lanzini
    Vlasic Bowen Benrahma

I know the opposition aren't PL standard, but I still reckon fielding just ten players is asking for a loss...

• Areola
    Coventry Soucek
    Oko-Flex Antonio Fornals

and

Fab
    Rice Lanzini
    Vlasic Bowen Benrahma

I know the opposition aren't PL standard, but I still reckon fielding just ten players is asking for a loss...
    🤦‍♂️

Does make it worse though, because we'll need another couple of players.
  • According to Ex, the international players aren't back for another week, so I'd be surprised if any of them will be in a position to play on the 12th.

If that is the case, I have no idea how we'll field two teams.
  • Who said we were fielding two sides?
  • Lukerz said:

Who said we were fielding two sides?

because they can't be in two places at once 🤣
  • Lukerz said:

Who said we were fielding two sides?

We have two games on the 12th
  • That would explain it
  • We do have an U23 squad at our disposal.
  • IronHerb, Wouldn’t that require playing some youth players? 😉
  • edited July 2022
    We do, but for the two games we'll need at least 36 players, given that most players rarely play the full 90 minutes in their second pre-season game.

From what I've seen of the training photos and videos, we only took Fabianksi, Cresswell, Zouma, Fornals, Antonio, Lanzini, Dawson, Ogbonna, Benrahma, Diop, Masuaku, Coventry, Alese, Ashby, Longelo, Forson, Trott and Potts to Scotland. That's 18 players, including only 11 first teamers. Enough for one of the Wednesday games, at a push.

So the other 18 will have to come from the rest of the U23 squad and the U18s.

There's a chance some of the internationals may be available; Rice has certainly been at some kind of training camp over the last few days judging by his Insta account, but I don't think we'll be flush with players for the first couple of fixtures.
  • It does seem odd to arrange 2 matchs on the same day quite so early in the pre-season, but what do I know?
  • It does seem odd to arrange 2 matchs on the same day quite so early in the pre-season, but what do I know?

I think that it was the same last year

we did, only with more players :)

we did, only with more players :)
    Maybe we'll do rush goalie this year =)
  • edited July 2022

According to Ex, the international players aren't back for another week, so I'd be surprised if any of them will be in a position to play on the 12th.

On the photo spread on the club site is says that the international players will be back later this week.

They'll be fine for 45 minutes on the 12th. (That bit's imo, not from the club site)
  • MrsGrey said:

According to Ex, the international players aren't back for another week, so I'd be surprised if any of them will be in a position to play on the 12th.

On the photo spread on the club site is says that the international players will be back later this week.

They'll be fine for 45 minutes on the 12th. (That bit's imo, not from the club site)

Back for the routine testing at Rush Green, I believe. So they may not be training until Friday/Saturday.

I'm sure they've all looked after themselves during their breaks* though, so yeah, hopefully they'll have enough to contribute something on the 12th.

*Not sure whether Bowen has been in the potato fields this summer as he's been away with Danni Dyer all summer
  • She's been in the potato fields with him.
  • His very own sweet potato??
  • I've seen Rice on Instagram and he's been doing training on his own.
  • With Matty Cash and Zac Clough, weirdly.

Just Googled it; they're at the Elite Sports Academy in Dubai.
  • Not with Mason Mount 😯
  • Not with Mason Mount 😯

He saw Mason earlier in the summer. There were pictures of them on bicycles. One of the Chalobah brothers was there too, I believe.
  • Cough Stalker
  • You follow one footballer around the world with a telephoto lens for six weeks and you get called a stalker.

This country 🙄