Europa Play Off Round (WHU v Astra Giurgiu - Away Leg, 18 August* EARLY KO 7.15 UK*)

Comments

• Like that side, Madcap.
  • It rests all the main players for sunday, and gives some of the better youngsters a chance. If Callieri is fit I would also love to see him get 45 minutes. And if all is going well maybe one or two of the other youngsters can get 10 minutes or so. Hopefully be too strong for Astra. ;scarf
  • Astra won the Romanian League, finishing five points clear of Steaua Bucharest but five regular starters have gone (three to Steaua) and top scorer is out injured.

They've lost two of their four league games and we're dumped out of the CL by FC Copenhagen 4-1 on agg.

If anything they look decidedly weaker than last season
  • We need 3 points on the board against a team like Bournemouth so at that risk we should rest players

If we do lose we can always go all out with the home leg and field a full strength team

A lot of our players need minutes
  • The players don't seem worried, but surely the pilot's banking too steeply?

I'm not happy.....

It appears Enner is upfront and on the wing again

;angry
  • Payet not travelling/involved apparently according to KUMB
  • Slight knock from the CFC game.

No doubt that "tackle" from Kante.....
  • edited August 2016
    Ok. No Masuaku. Didn't know that. Page not here.

Carroll not likely to be risked.

So...

Randolph
    Oxford - Collins - Ogbonna
    Byram - Obiang - Noble - Antonio
    Tore - Calleri - Valencia

Massive game. Starting the season with back to back losses puts big pressure on the lads come Sunday.
  • This is the expected team in the mirror

WEST HAM: Randolph, Burke, Reid, Collins, Byram, Obiang, Kouyate, Antonio, Noble, Valencia, Carroll.
  • Remember folks that KO tonight is 7:15
  • Cheers Lukerz, didn't spot that. ;ok Have to get to the pub a bit earlier now ;wahoo
  • Is it on BT Sports?
  • Yes Mooj ;ok
  • edited August 2016
    The only time Slaven went with three at the back was against Arsenal and Tottenham, somehow I don't think Astra pose as much of a threat as either of those.

Had a look at the Astra squad, three of their back four joined in the summer one of which is Romanian RB Cristian Sapunaru who played in the Euros but Astra are playing him at CB.

Lung is Romania's back up keeper, he's been on the bench at every international match for the last two years although they did give him a go between the sticks in two friendlies.

Filipe Teixeira, played for WBA 2007-10, was a regular in the Championship but failed to hold down a place in the Premier

Other than that there's not much of note, as I said before five of their regular starters left in the summer and their top scorer is out injured.

BT Sports 2, I've set the box to record.
  • ;wahoo excellent.
  • Thanks ;ok
  • edited August 2016
    Early KO, good spot Luke, thanks. I'll add it to thread title ;ok
  • No Reece Oxford in the squad ;hmm

Is he crocked ???
  • ;doh

So it now looks like.

Randolph
    Antonio - Reid - Ogbonna - Byram
    Noble - Obiang
    Tore - Calleri - Valencia
    Carroll

Pretty worrying that 3 days into the season that is now our strongest available XI. Not sure that would beat Bournemouth. ;hmm
  • OS is streaming the game, apparently.
  • edited August 2016
    shf

Nothing on the OS or club twitter about it so far.

Would be strange, given that BT have taken the game.
  • Well Bilic said he's going to name the strongest team he can

Think it's a bit risky given how easily crooked we are already

Tore just coming back from injury and Payet obviously having no pressure season one of those will start most likely tore

Want Bilic to be forced into starting antonio at RB but with no Masuaka he may still start

I'd go:
    Randy
    Burke Collins Ogbonna byram
    Tore Noble Obiang Antonio
    Calleri Valencia

Sub: Adrian, Reid, Oxford, Kouyate, Nordveit, Payet, Carroll

Like luke I'm worried that this is almost the strongest team we can field

Payet hopefully can get 45 mins today and some game time at the weekend

Actually can't wait for the international break, would have a fully fit (hopefully) Payet, Lanzini and Feghouli back in the squad

• So twitter is saying Kouyate injured?? And what about Oxford? Is he injured? What's going on
  • edited August 2016

No Reece Oxford in the squad ;hmm

Is this for deffo?

Isn't that him getting off the plane? (about 1m in the video)

And isn't that him in one of the training pics?

• Champo - Payet hasn't travelled due to a knock picked up v Chelsea.
  • edited August 2016
    According to unsubstantiated twitter rumours Kouyate is out with a thiigh and Nordveit has a knock. Payet hasn't travelled, no one seems to know about Oxford.

My money's on Antonio at RB, Byram at LB, any two of Reid, Collins or Oggy at CB, Noble and Obiang in the middle, Valencia and Tore out wide, Carroll up front.

Not my personal choice but that's what I'm expecting.

Hang on, that's only ten.........
  • Even the stewardess was counting the players to see if we had 11. ;biggrin
  • Okay well it looks like Oxford in that photo so I'll go with Oxford in the midfield
  • I think this is a great opportunity for Slav to restore some faith and get Antonio back on the wing

I can see either Burke playing RB and Byram LB or Byram RB and Ogbonna LB before he plays Antonio there at RB.

He said he was putting out a strong team but I'm now wondering due to all the injuries this week if he may play Oxford and Burke and try and keep the others fresh for Sunday
  • I wouldn't mess around with Burke at right back. Put Byram there, play Ogbonna at left back and have Ginge/Burke alongside Reid.