Europa Play Off Round (WHU v Astra Giurgiu - Away Leg, 18 August* EARLY KO 7.15 UK*)

Comments

• If we were to qualify for the group stages, then I think some people would need to readjust their expectations.

Away in Europe and don't lose is a good thing. Results are paramount; performances are secondary.
  • Motm for me was Lindsay Hipgrave. Although if I was being critical I would give her hair an ash tone and take some of the gold out. A purple dress is ok as long as her shoes matched, but if she was wearing white court shoes I would have to give her a yellow card, but the ref never saw it as she was behind a desk.
  • Jay, that maybe, but I think that will change for next week. Had that been an important game I think the team would have looked differently and for example Payet would have played.As would Kouyate and Ginge. It's about taking the tie home without too much damage and I dare say that we will sort it out next week. 55k+ supporters behind us and a pitch that doesn't resemble a potatoe patch. They know their pitch, they are used to playing there. We aren't but I am sure we will be in the hat for the group phase draw.
  • The Taekwondo was good..
  • If we get passed Astra, what next?
  • edited August 2016

Can't believe the owners are patting themselves on the back over our business when they see the state of the squad 4 days into the season.

1. Are they actually patting themselves on the back?

2. This is the squad. Is it so awful?

Adrian, Randolph, Spiegel
    Ginge, Reid, Ogbonna, Byram, Cresswell, Matsuaku (Burke, Oxford)
    Obiang, Nordveit, Kouyate,
    Payet Lanzini Noble, Feghouli, Antonio, Tore
    Ayew, Carroll, Valencia, Sahko, Calleri

Additions: Ayew, Calleri, Feghouli, Tore, Nordviet, Matsuaku
    They are replacing; Joey O'Brien, James Tomkins, and loanees Moses+Emineke+Song (have I missed anybody out?)

Is that not an improvement?
    (Unless you are holding the owners responsible for injuries, which seems a tad harsh.)
  • edited August 2016
    Jeez. We're not Real Madrid but some posters expect us to play like them. Exactly the same as last year with - we're in a relegation fight, this team is rubbish, pull your finger out Slav, blah, blah, blah.

It's another 90 minutes under our belt. We could have scored another 2 or 3, they couldn't have. Burke, Brian, Browne and Oxford had another run out which numerous posters say they should get more match time and when they do they criticise team selection.

No loss, away goal, another game played.

I'll take this result.
  • Munich ;ok
    It was more the point that perhaps tonight with our current injury list IMO our squad is a bit weak ...
    I'm ok with the result..
  • edited August 2016
    The result is fine. We'll win the return leg comfortably.

The attitude and performance on Monday and tonight is IMO a worry. We look lazy and lacklustre, with no intensity.

I didn't realise we were so reliant on Payet. We've looked very poor without him.

I don't feel we've strengthened the first XI enough to equal last season.

Hopefully we'll see encouraging signs v Bournemouth before we travel to the Etihad and my worries will prove a stupid overreaction.

That is all.
  • Munich ;ok
    It was more the point that perhaps tonight with our current injury list IMO our squad is a bit weak ...

jay, would it not be fairer to say that our squad is OK, but with our current injures and a few players not yet fully match fit after their summer competitions, our 'available 1st XI' is not our strongest?

I am fully confident of a home win next leg. (Of course, unforeseen event may derail that - dodgy lasagne, malaria, asteroid strikes etc.)

• Hopefully we'll see encouraging signs v Bournemouth before we travel to the Etihad and my worries will prove a stupid overreaction.

Not stupid, Luke. Never stupid. ;hug

• ;hmm

;wink
  • edited August 2016
    ;lol

Wait ;hmm

;angry

;biggrin
  • So against Bournemouth we go:

Adrian
    Byram - Reid - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Noble - Nordveit/Obiang
    Antonio - Calleri - Payet
    Carroll
  • MrsGrey said:

Munich ;ok

jay, would it not be fairer to say that our squad is OK, but with our current injures and a few players not yet fully match fit after their summer competitions, our 'available 1st XI' is not our strongest?

I am fully confident of a home win next leg. (Of course, unforeseen event may derail that - dodgy lasagne, malaria, asteroid strikes etc.)
    Maybe.

But it was Astra's second XI too.
  • Can't wait for Lanzini
  • Was it? I don't know much about their team.

Except that they have fat blokes who score against us ;angry

(I'm assuming our 1st team is better than their 1st team. Is that a song title?)
  • This is an ok result. Let us not twist knickers ;star
  • Motm for me was Lindsay Hipgrave. Although if I was being critical I would give her hair an ash tone and take some of the gold out. A purple dress is ok as long as her shoes matched, but if she was wearing white court shoes I would have to give her a yellow card, but the ref never saw it as she was behind a desk.

Time for bed now poppet.,,
  • Our 1st team may be better than their 1st team, but I'm pretty sure their dad is bigger than my dad.
  • The intensity wasnt there and IMO its the offensive positioning and pressing which is the main issues for me, and it hasnt for right for a while now (due to numerous reasons). Its too easy to play through us as the pressing isnt sharp or aggressive enough because we are having to run too much to compensate the imbalance. CFC on monday night were very efficient and aggressive in their defensive shape and pressing and definitely showed us how we need to approach games in the way we need to be set up to gain greater authority in our play; but we're still a work in progress and its a catch 22 situation in some respects.

Tonights experience will be great for all involved because theres no doubt we are short of European experience throughout our squad; hopefully they learn and gain a greater understanding of what needs to be done to get results in europe because whilst a team has something to play for, they are game and understand their craft enough to grind out a result. Its a learning process.

As for the whufc performances?- Randolph showed goods hands and was solid. Burke showed he is a fine all round footballer by playing so accomplished out of position and on his weaker foot. Oxford did well and would have a taken alot from the game. Obiang was v.tidy and busy. Antonio played well which was great to see. The goal conceded was disappointing and could have been dealt with better, the type of corner probably took collins abit by surprise and unfortunately got himself in a position where he was tied up and couldnt react. I also think as soon as the corner is fed in shortish, Carroll could have attacked the play because he is redundant standing in the 6 yard area waiting for a ball which cant be put into that area (and if if did GK would have it anyway).

P.S the cameo from Carroll IMO demonstrated why he probably should be solely used for domestic football, because the european style and euro referees will constantly give free-kicks against him.
  • edited August 2016
    Wise words.....

;ok

Anyone else see that the Astra scorer had a whole load of Collins shirt when turning from the corner?
  • I wasn't convinced by Antonio yesterday, I think he should have buried one of his chances. BUT I think his confidence is down after Chelsea (and having to play out of position for such a long time) and perhaps he just needs to get his confidence up again.
    Maybe the line up yesterday shows that Slav has finally understood that he is not a RB? In case of emergency, ok, but not as long as Byram is fit.

Slav - Yep, I saw that, too, but just go back a few minutes to where Antonio was grappled to a standstill. Their player could have been sent off for that (second yellow) and was lucky to stay on the pitch. They knew the ref wasn't going to give one of those.
  • It's now a confidence thing with Antonio - the persistence with the right back thing, the accident waiting to happen tweet, etc

It could be a fair road back for him

All completely avoidable
  • Hamstew said:

Can't wait for Lanzini

<3
  • Last night was screaming out for a bit more quality. I am with those who think the key difference is Payet and Lanzini. I also think that Cresswell has been the biggest loss as it has forced Bilic to alter things too much playing people out of position.
  • A ok result on a dodgy pitch with a makeshift team in which our youngsters got valuable experience and some of players got much needed match time. Performance could have been better but I am confident we will win the 2nd leg . I am glad we have rested players winning against Bournemouth a lot more important we need to get the first PL win at home asap
  • Yes injuries are a problem for us atm.
    But at least we r still in it. Next week i expect us to win comfortably, with a faster passing game, on our decent pitch.
    Hopefully we can get Sakho up to speed, that would give us better balance with Caroll for sunday. Imo the squad is better but we have been unlucky with injuries.
    coyi
  • Lanzini is as big a miss for us as Payet at the moment IMO. We seem to be incapable of contoelling a match for any period and controlling possession in the opposition half.
  • http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/August/18-August/Slaven-post-Astra

On Calleri, Slav said
    “He doesn’t know the players and all that because he’s only been here a short time and all that, but he showed great quality.

A man at the top of his game ;lol ;bowdown