Dimi Payet; the Epilogue

Comments

• The French coach can go for a long walk off a short pier.

• There is no better "direct shot at goal" free kick taker in the prem right now. Every time we get one the opposition fears it almost as much as if we'd been given a pen. Which is just as well as our cup isn't exactly overflowing on the "pens awarded" front
  • Gotta remember this team has not had much rotation.

But the BBC commentator said we've used 41 players this season, more than any other side? That implies almost as much rotation as my washing machine

The problem here is injuries meaning chopping and changing and the lack of a settled side

Look at where Leicester are, they've had virtually no injuries.
  • Gotta remember this team has not had much rotation.

But the BBC commentator said we've used 41 players this season, more than any other side? That implies almost as much rotation as my washing machine

The problem here is injuries meaning chopping and changing and the lack of a settled side

Look at where Leicester are, they've had virtually no injuries.
  • Clearly unlike the France coach...
  • Well i would love to see him play at the Euro's.
    Its a shame deschamp ignores him. Bit like the the england manager very blinkered.
  • Baracks, that might be to do with the amount of young players who played in the Europa games.
  • I could not understand how the talk from the commentators before last nights match was about tying him to a long term deal, how much can we tie him to beyond the current five year contract he is already on?

I do hope the Dave's don't do a mega deal as it could go seriously wrong. If the figures quoted in the newspaper are correct and he is on 65k plus extra 10k for appearance I would perhaps offer another 20k max on the appearance, and in truth not sure why we would do that immediately to be honest. If he is 28 and never played for a big club there is a reason, it is not through not being noticed. Anyone who has ever watched decent schoolboy football knows that the scouting system does not let players like Payet slip through the net, it is a fine tuned machine. He has made a great start and has tricks that catch the eye, but lets not get carried away.

• C&b

Can't agree that scouts always get things right, or that clubs never make poor decisions.

Vardy would be the standout example of that for this season, imo.
  • There is no better "direct shot at goal" free kick taker in the prem right now. Every time we get one the opposition fears it almost as much as if we'd been given a pen. Which is just as well as our cup isn't exactly overflowing on the "pens awarded" front

Willian probably is

• The France coach says Payet is too proud and too arrogant to become a player that he likes. ;hmm

To be fair to Deschamps, that is a view attributed to him by a French journo, rather than a direct quotation.
  • All French are arrogant, it's their national trait.
  • Christiano Ronaldo is arrogant - perhaps Portugal should leave him out of their squad? I'm sure they'd fare much better without him? ;lol
  • Like the old saying

It's only boasting if you can't do it.
  • Baracks, Willian is better, but Payet is probably second. Willian has scored about 7 direct free kicks this season.
  • Sigurdsson getting his mojo back, too.
  • Fingers crossed he signs
  • I could see how in a team with better players, Payet's tendency to get into tight positions to use tricks to get out of might not work as well as it does with us.

Then again, its not like he's at all greedy. His decision-making is probably his best trait. A lot of players have great technique but they're usually awful at choosing the right pass or shot.
  • I think the reason we have used 41 players is all those Europa cup games where we fielded mostly youngsters and fringe players
  • According to the OS we have played 24 players in the Prem, 1 other in the FA Cup (JOB) and another 4 (Henry, Parfitt-Williams, Paige & Nasha) in the Europa making it 29 in total.
  • edited February 2016
    ;hmm

I don't think that's right, IronHerb.

I can think of other players ('kids') who played in the Europe games...
  • edited February 2016
    I make it 41 in total, if you look here:

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2802&teamTabs=stats

Some of those players aren't at the club now, of course, or are out on loan.

In terms of just PL, there are about 20 'regulars' I would say.
  • Looking at the OS again the stats do not include players not currently at the club, loanees, sales etc so the figure is higher than 29.
  • What?

Club site not best place to go for West Ham info!!!

;nonono

• West Ham are to stay at West Ham
  • ;nonono

Dissin' the gaffer's English!
  • Man Lands on Moon
  • You can see the great wall of china from the moon

payet is off to china ;nonono

SuzITK ;wink