Dimi Payet; the Epilogue

Comments

• France must have a scary squad if Payet can't get in it...
  • France must have a scary squad if Payet can't get in it...

Pretty sure he hasn't been in it for a while?
  • edited February 2016

So when you sit D27P down and have a go convincing him why he should stick around, how do you begin?

The letter's O and S are not allowed.

You show him whu606

#JobDone
  • I reckon the past few games have shown why he isn't playing for any of the big teams in Europe. Perhaps we should drop him to the bench on Sat. Any other player so out of form would have been dropped long ago.
  • So, we've been offered £38m from a Chinese club.

That is a headache.
  • Suzanne

I agree they have put a lot of money in but so does anyone who buys a business
    Also they have loaned the club money to cover its debts at a very tidy interest rate

However they are the best owners we have ever had
  • I love him.

I love them all.

I love all of you.

I may have been drinking.
  • I love him.

I love them all.

I love all of you.

• I love him.

I love them all.

I love all of you.

Hope you havn't been on the claret Suz
  • Would I ;biggrin
  • edited February 2016
    Shhh I've got a head ache.
  • @Austin I personally reckon that after two ineffective games slme of our users would have started calling for a player to be dropped. Look at the Noble discussions we have had. Or Song or Moses.
    I am not saying DP doesn't have his moments and the free kicks yesterday (the one where he hit the post and the one we scored from) were great. I get the impression that he is running out of steam a little. Perhaps he worked so hard to get fit that he overexhausted himself a little. Ever so often yesterday did he try and take on his man and ended up losing us the ball.
    Put him on the bench for Norwich and only bring him on if we really need him. Give him a rest before the next cup game so he can terrorize Blackburn's defense.
  • I'd probably do the opposite, have him start and hope we can afford to take him off after an hour ;hmm
  • Payet is clearly off-form but he still had moments before the free-kick. He played through O'Brien to hit the post, he hit the post himself. He played through Valencia for the cross - a simple one but in those situations the defenders are focusing on what happens if the ball comes back to Payet.

I don't think you can compare him to Song and Moses because they've barely done anything good. They've constantly been out of form so there's not much to expect from them.

I'd probably go with what Baz said, sub him off if he's not doing well. He probably does need a bit of a break. It will really help when Lanzini's back and there's some more creativity in the team.
  • edited February 2016
    To be honest, I'm happy for players to have off games if they contribute in one or two moments to a victory. What's better? A player having a screamer but us failing to win, or a player being quiet but playing a part in goals that win us the game?

When Lanzini and Sakho are back, and Carroll fitter, we will get the opportunity to rotate.

At the moment Antonio has to start because Moses is pants. Valencia has to start as Carroll is fit enough. Payet has to start because he's Payet.

I would be tempted to rest Payet on Sat, but we don't really have the options to do it.
  • Payet is match winner/game changer - typically such geniuses will spend periods in games being seemingly ineffective, but will deliver, ruthlessly, when it matters most - as was clearly the case yesterday
  • We should keep playing him, we might even need to put him at RB ;biggrin
  • Also the fact that DP is no longer an unknown entity - at times he was marked out of the game, and certainly against Southampton, he was getting a lot of attention. Its only natural that he cannot do it week in week out. He did look a bit heavy on his legs last night, and maybe our expectations of him are a little unrealistsic.
    I cant wait for Lanzini to be back and take a bit of the load off, because Dimi has a lot on his shoulders as regards creativity.
    Still gotta love him though ;bowdown
  • He isn't going to be able to win every game on his own every week

But he can help others do it either with set pieces or ensuring they have more space than they should while he's getting all the attention from the opposition
  • Think Valencia is better on the left wing so maybe a front 3 of Valencia-Emenike-Antonio so payet can have a little rest can't think of a good game he's had since City but he's a good option off the bench
  • Gotta remember this team has not had much rotation. They were all back in training in June, playing in July and since then, Slav has played pretty much the same lot in every game, including the league cup loss to LCFC and the FA cup games.

Cresswell has played pretty much every second. Reid, Ogbonna, Tomkins and Ginge are probably the most rested, as they've all shared the burden. Noble has played almost every game. Kouyate and Payet likewise. Antonio has played every week since breaking into the side before Xmas. Valencia has not had a breather after two serious injuries because Sakho and Carroll have been out. It does catch up, and it may be catching up with Payet.

Maybe he's a little unsettled due to the media talk.

Or maybe we're just imagining him playing not as good.
  • Think Valencia is better on the left wing so maybe a front 3 of Valencia-Emenike-Antonio so payet can have a little rest can't think of a good game he's had since City but he's a good option off the bench

Tell you what. If we had to play 3 CMs, that is not a bad front 3 at all. Serious pace there and all good in the air so 2 attacking when the third crosses, plus the work rate for Valencia and Antonio to switch to 4-5-1.
  • BREAKING: Dimitri Payet close to agreeing new mega-deal at West Ham, keeping him at the club until 2021. [@lequipe]
  • When your the centre point you get judged more critically. Coutinho is a brilliant player but got slaughtered for a couple offish performances. But like Payet they can produce moments of magic. The talented players want to play the best ball for the best opportunity not necessarily the right ball for an opportunity.
  • Isn't he already contracted until 2021?

• Maybe he's a little unsettled due to the media talk.

Or maybe we're just imagining him playing not as good.

I very much doubt it and no, we are not imagining his wee dip. It for me is due to the opposition targeting / marking him closer.

• His first season in England their is bound to be a period where his form drops a bit.

But he still setup the goal.....

When Lanzini is back that will help him.
  • The France coach says Payet is too proud and too arrogant to become a player that he likes. ;hmm