Carabao Cup; Liverpool (a) 25/09 k/o 20:00 UK

Comments

• Carragher, just go away.
  • edited September 25
    This is a very low period of time in our recent history. The Brentford game is so important.

I can't ever seeing us getting a clean sheet again.
  • Fallen apart.
    Tough times for us and J Lo
    Not good enough against a 2nd rate Liverpool for the most.
    We can moan about some possible penalties but hey, it’s clutching at straws.
    A few more losses and bye bye to JLo a distinct possibility
    Writing on the wall now….

Wasn't clutching at straws that they shouldn't even have been level.

Can’t agree , sorry… perhaps 1 out of 4… but still, wouldn’t have made any difference whatsoever…
  • And JLo somehow needs to control himself on the touch line, it’s alll becoming a very desperate look, not pretty IMO
  • Fallen apart.

Can’t agree , sorry… perhaps 1 out of 4… but still, wouldn’t have made any difference whatsoever…
    If their offside goal wasn't allowed it's a completely different game, apart from the penalty claims.

• If it's ok to control the ball with your arm by your side, why do a lot of defenders put their arms behind their back ?
  • Fallen apart.

If their offside goal wasn't allowed it's a completely different game, apart from the penalty claims.

Was too close to give offside IMO, that’s what officials are told , keep flags down, no VAR doesn’t help I guess, but sadly even if wasn’t given, don’t think it would have made a difference, just a matter of time before their superiority prevails….
  • Oh dear or dear!. Another defeat though bit of a go in the first half but always second best. Alvarez red-card didn't help but we were already 3-1 down at that stage. Todibo looked very laboured. Did Soler do anything? Soucek was anonymous. Pacqueta didn't seem interested. Our midfield just does not click and didn't provide much cover for defence.

Can we beat Brentford on Saturday?
  • Can we recall JWP
  • No is the answer to that one
  • Alvarez could have been subbed off after his first yellow, total commitment is a big part of his game. Also he seemed to pick up a couple of knocks early in the game.
  • I can’t see anyway, with a two day turnaround, we beat Brentford Saturday.
  • edited September 25
    Very flattering result indeed, I think their equalizer was offside and I think we should have had one penalty, his arm was well away from his body when it was struck.

No complaints with the sending off, really stupid challenge when on a yellow, gave the ref no choice so on balance we probably had no chance of pulling off an upset, however, I thought that we had spells when we looked decent, pressed high and looked positive in possession.

We still have work to do as their side was more of a B side than ours and we never more than matched them which says something, like others, I would have started with Kudus as we had little to lose.

The history books are going to record 5-1 but that really does not tell the story.
  • May need to go back to the basics:

Areola
    Todibo - Mavropanos - Kilman
    Wan-Bissaka - Soucek - Rodriguez - Emerson
    Kudus - Bowen - Paqueta
  • If only we could do the basics.
  • My no is the answer was to the can we beat Brentford question.
  • Fallen apart.

Was too close to give offside IMO, that’s what officials are told , keep flags down, no VAR doesn’t help I guess, but sadly even if wasn’t given, don’t think it would have made a difference, just a matter of time before their superiority prevails….
    Keep the flag down is only when VAR can check it afterwards; with no VAR he has to flag that offside, except, of course, it was Liverpool.
  • Moyes In.

Too soon?

:p
  • edited September 25

Fallen apart.

Keep the flag down is only when VAR can check it afterwards; with no VAR he has to flag that offside, except, of course, it was Liverpool.
    Don’t agree, it was too close to call, go with the attacking team if in doubt, that’s the way it goes, at Anfield, no chance it’s flagged.
    Don’t think officials are told to do it differently if there is VAR or not.
    Just gotta accept it and somehow move on.
    Saturday is soon Too soon perhaps
  • Fallen apart.

Don’t agree, it was too close to call, go with the attacking team if in doubt, that’s the way it goes, at Anfield, no chance it’s flagged.
    The guy was offside. He should have been flagged as offside. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t think that an offside should be flagged as offside.
  • edited September 25
    alderz said:

Fallen apart.

The guy was offside. He should have been flagged as offside. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t think that an offside should be flagged as offside.
    Well Alderz I haven’t seen any replays to show it was definite offside, if it was fair enough, but I can accept that mistake as if it was, it must have been a very close call, when they are that close I can forgive officials, it’s human error.
    Have you actually proof that it was definitely offside? I got no relays on my coverage showing it was…..
  • Lukerz said:

May need to go back to the basics:

Areola
    Todibo - Mavropanos - Kilman
    Wan-Bissaka - Soucek - Rodriguez - Emerson
    Kudus - Bowen - Paqueta

3 at the back was discarded after 25 minutes on Saturday.

I don’t think Alvarez is a suspended as I believe only straight reds are carried over into the Prem.
  • I think all cards/situations carry across all domestic competitions. There were players with suspensions from PL serving part of their missed matches tonight.
  • That was very poor and we look bereft of a plan and seem to be just hoping for the best. I dread to think what the Liverpool first eleven would have done to us.

Antonio looking a bit more like his old self was the only positive whilst the huge negative is Alveraz losing his brain and jumping in when on a yellow so we are without him for Saturday.

J Lo looks like he is struggling, he seemed to show a lot of frustration and anguish but didn't actually change much. He is not looking good at present, certainly not like the top manager we thought we were employing.
  • MrsGrey said:

I think all cards/situations carry across all domestic competitions. There were players with suspensions from PL serving part of their missed matches tonight.

👍
  • It seems to change season on season; I'm sure last season or the season before cards were specific to their competition.
  • edited September 26
    What I would say, I think many are forgetting how bad we were towards the end of Moyes’ reign. We were getting comfortably beaten by everyone without landing a punch on teams. This will take time. The signs aren’t great currently & I fear it will be a long season but it’s not like we’ve become bad overnight. We’ve been bad all of 2024.
  • Very true Luke, also our new manager so far is lost.
    He hasn’t a clue who his preferred team is or formation for that.
    Whatever he has done hasn’t worked so far.
    If I’m being honest the 4 points we have in the league and the Bournemouth cup win we’re all VERY VERY LUCKY IMO.
    Palace and definitely Fulham deserved. More than they got and the cup win, perhaps also rather lucky considering the goal we scored was dubious and like last night with VAR we might not have even been at Anfield last night.

Jury is out on JLo, zero points in our next 2 games and I wonder if that might be a very premature departure…….
  • I actually think we did ok for periods in that game, if Soler hadn’t blasted over that chance from ten yards out it may have been a different story,but having said that they were the better side although 5-1 didn’t really reflect the game.
    Alvarez needs a good talking to.
  • I don’t think it’s about going back to basics or anything like that, personally. IMO, the style of play with the ball is obviously different. Playing through the lines, playing out from the back, but still trying to progress fairly quickly. The issues as I see them are that a) we haven’t had our best side out consistently, and b) we seem to be making individual errors defensively - still.

I want to see him get this XI out as often as possible, so we can see what a settled side can do.

Areola; AWB Todibo Kilman Emerson; Soler Alvarez Paqueta; Bowen Fullkrug Kudus

I think we need the best side out there to set the tone, then when the others come in they come into a fairly well oiled machine.