Burnley (H) 2.00pm Sunday 10th March

Got my ticket for this one. Hope they all recover from tonight's game

Comments

• edited March 8
    Obviously I was expecting to start this thread and had prepared something...

You’ve got to admire Kompany’s dedication to playing his style of football but they are second only to Sheffield United for fewest goals scored, most goals conceded and most shots allowed per game,

No win since Christmas, 10 games in all competitions, drawn 2, lost 8, scored 7, conceded 25 and not one clean sheet. Despite that he's stuck with a 4-4-2 even when facing Arsenal, Liverpool and City.

They added three loan signings in January but it doesn't seem to have improved things.

Chelsea's 21yo CF David Datro Fofana spent the first half of the season on loan at Union Berlin but after scoring both goals as a substitute in Burnley's 2-2 draw against Fulham he's started four times without finding the net.

The two other loanees were both signed from the French league on deadline day and went straight into the starting X1. RB Lorenz Assignon joined from Rennes while 21yo CB Maxime Esteve joined from Montpelier to fill in for Jordan Bayer who picked up a hamstring just before New Year and isn't expected back until the end of the month,

Other injuries include LW Luca Koleosho, CM/RM Aaron Ramsey, CF Lyle Foster, and RW Nathan Redmond but like Bayer they're not expected to be back any time soon

Best guess

Trafford
    Assignon O’Shea Esteve Taylor
    Gudmundsson Berge Brownhill Odobert
    Fofana Amdouni

Anything less than a win would be disappointing
  • LOSS it is then =)
  • Very little, as usual, from Moyes in his presser:

"We will have to check on Emerson, because he felt his groin in the game on Thursday night.

We’ll continue to assess Nayef Aguerd, and Maxwel Cornet remains unavailable."

https://www.whufc.com/news/talking-points-moyes-burnley-bouncing-back-and-busy-schedule
  • edited March 9
    Areola
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Soucek - Phillips - Ward-Prowse
    Kudus - Bowen - Paqueta

Zouma needs to be managed, I wouldn’t take a risk on Emerson & Alvarez doesn’t need his two game ban for a yellow card (not in this fixture anyway). I’m sure if Zouma is rested it’ll be Aguerd anyway.
  • Obviously I was expecting to start this thread and had prepared something...

Very sorry Aslef, I had assumed the loss meant a change was required.

Your opening summary is excellent as usual.

• Lukerz said:

I’m sure if Zouma is rested it’ll be Aguerd anyway.

That's if Aguerd himself is available.

• edited March 9

Very sorry Aslef, I had assumed the loss meant a change was required.

Your opening summary is excellent as usual.

A loss does mean a change but I wasn't expecting it to be after Freiburg!!!

Thank you

Actually comes at a convenient time as I'm off to the USA on Tuesday so will miss the 2nd leg against Freiburg and Aston Villa

Kompany didn't give any hints in his presser and the only player he mentioned was CF/LW/RW Jacob Bruun Larsen who started against Bournemouth in place of top scorer (5) CF Zeki Amdouni.

Maybe Bruun Larsen in for the unproductive CF David Datro Fofana? Doesn't seem to matter who they play...

Ex-Hammer CM Josh Cullen got his 2nd start since October against Bournemouth last weekend as Josh Brownhill was suspended
  • A win solidifies our #7 place and puts us only 2 points behind ManU.
    A loss could see us drop to 9th place after Monday.
    Let’s hope we decide to go for it rather than sitting back.
  • I watched the Burnley Bournemouth game and was impressed with Cullen he was captain and had a lot of the ball running their midfield. I may regret saying it but Fofana looked pony.
  • edited March 10
    Areola, Coufal, Mavropanos, Aguerd, Cresswell, Phillips, Souček ©, Ward-Prowse, Paquetá, Kudus, Bowen
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Johnson, Ogbonna, Zouma, Álvarez, Earthy, Ings, Antonio, Mubama

I'm relieved Zouma has dropped to the bench, but concerned that Emerson is out and we've got Cresswell in. I'm hoping Phillips will be getting up to speed now and will have a good game.
  • Best guess

Trafford
    Assignon O’Shea Esteve Taylor
    Gudmundsson Berge Brownhill Odobert
    Fofana Amdouni

Just 8 out of 11

Vitinho instead of Gudmundsson, Cullen instead of Brownhill and Bruun Larsen instead of Amdouni.

Same starting XI as last weekend
  • Hope Emerson will be back for Thursday .Been one of our best players this season .Good game for Cresswell to get a run out after all it is Burnley =)
  • Cresswell never lets us down.
  • Lukerz said:

Cresswell never lets us down.

Red card in the Europa League semi final?
  • Still to this day don’t believe it was a foul.
  • alderz said:

Lukerz said:

Cresswell never lets us down.

Red card in the Europa League semi final?
    And a red in the previous round too, wasn't it?
  • Which also wasn’t a foul.
  • How bad is Phillips 2 bad passes already
  • Phillips 2 misplaced passes already.
  • Two early poor touches from Kalvin, one heavy, one light, every time he plays the commentator makes a thing about Phillips looking to get into the England euro squad.

Imo - He has shown nothing up to now to indicate that he has retained anything like his Leeds form
  • edited March 10
    Oh dear.

Their first goal in 5 and a half hours.
  • Embarrassing start so far, again.
  • 1 down
  • Wow, went through Aguard as if he wasn’t there but to be fair, that was quite a strike, he will not hit a ball better than that
  • edited March 10
    32% possession so far against the bottom team in the league.
  • Whenever Aguerd plays, we’re dreadful.
  • Who was it said Fofana is rubbish
  • edited March 10
    Not at the races at the moment.
  • Lovely build up play down our right, Coufal's cross was decent but Paqueta just beaten to it.
  • Can't put 2 passes together