Everton (A) 3pm Saturday 2nd March (not on TV)

edited February 28 in Match Threads
Goodison Park

Hmm

The last time we drew at Goodison was FA Cup 3rd round January 2015, we’ve played there nine times since then, eight in the league, once in the League Cup, won four and lost five.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin has had a quiet spell. In the last six games he has had just one shot on target and didn't manage any kind of shot whatsoever against Brighton at the weekend.

His last goal was back in October

Against us

Why do I feel uneasy...

Comments

• Dyche hasn't changed his starting XI much, 8 players have started the last five league games, Jack Harrison has started 4 of the last five, Idrissa Gueye has started the last four since returning from ACON and Abdoulaye Doucoure (top scorer with 6 in 23) has started the last two since returning from ACON

Big summer signing Beto has only had 5 starts and one goal in the league (Newcastle) plus two goals in 6 cup games (Doncaster, Fulham)

Best guess

Pickford
    Godfrey Tarkowski Branthwaite Mykolenko
    Harrison Gueye Garner McNeil
    Doucoure
    Calvert-Lewin
  • edited February 28
    Areola
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Zouma - Emerson
    Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Kudus - Bowen - Paqueta

Fabianski, Aguerd, Ogbonna, Johnson, Phillips, Cornet, Antonio, Ings, Mubama

A draw would not be the worst result, but obviously should be targeting 3 points.
  • I can't see that any of the front 6 will be dropped after Monday's performance, but we did still concede 2 goals and Areola was given honourable mentions by a few of us in the MOTM thread.

Zouma has to be dropped, even if he's not making absolute rickets, the rest of the team are having to play in such a way as to avoid exposing him.
  • I'd like to see Earthy in the subs again. He plays on the left, and looks to have a good football brain. A few minutes would help his development.
  • Bit concerned about this one Everton have some decent players, have been impressed with Mykolenko for a while, McNeil puts in a good shift, Harrison and DCL like playing against us and Pickford is a top keeper.
  • Huge game as, with Man Utd playing away at Man City, we’d go within 2 points of the top 6 should they lose & we win.
  • Can't stand anything about Everton. For that alone I hope we win more than I usually do
  • It's only a huge game if it's important where we are in the table in week 27. Imo.
  • Are we safe yet?
  • edited March 1
    Whoops I missed this, Dyche could have a bit of a conundrum

Last weekend CM/DM Idrissa Gueye was replaced early in the second half by Amadou Onana and both now face late fitness tests for similar groin injuries. CM Andre Gomes is only "back on the grass"

The last time Dyche was short of CM/DMs against Fulham In January he played Dwight McNeil alongside James Garner in the middle with Arnaut Danjuma at LW but Danjuna is out with an ankle and 3es choice LW Lewis Dobbin is also out with an ankle

He could move Calvert-Lewin to LW and start Beto at CF or play Ben Godfrey (CB but has been played at RB for the last 5 games) at CM with Ashley Young or Nathan Patterson coming in at RB

Dele Alli is still trying to get fit, last played for Besiktas 28th February 2023
  • Moyes said Cresswell should be back ,But Cornet will be out for a few weeks with a hamstring problem ,Have to say the kid can't catch a break
  • steve said:

Moyes said Cresswell should be back ,But Cornet will be out for a few weeks with a hamstring problem ,Have to say the kid can't catch a break

How old are you calling Moyes a kid? 🤣
  • It makes no difference to Moyes, he wouldn't play Cornet anyway.
  • We all know the gameplan today. Let Everton come at us - which they should do, needing points - then give it to Bowen, Kudus, Paqueta & fingers crossed.
  • Had a look at some Everton fan forums, general opinion seems to be that they'll be hoofing up longballs and putting crosses into the box which Zouma & Co should be able to deal

They also seem to think a draw would be a good result
  • From the BBC report on the reverse fixture:
    The 26-year-old striker (DC-L) has scored more against West Ham than any other club.

Where have we heard that before.

The good thing is, in true Lawro style, Chris Sutton reckons Everton to win 1-0.
  • The good thing is, in true Lawro style, Chris Sutton reckons Everton to win 1-0.

I don't think Sutton is quite so anti-West Ham as Lawro was, but hopefully he's as inaccurate.

• Unchanged starting 11:

Areola, Coufal, Mavropanos, Zouma ©, Emerson, Souček, Álvarez, Ward-Prowse, Paquetá, Kudus, Bowen
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Johnson, Ogbonna, Aguerd, Cresswell, Phillips, Mubama, Ings, Antonio
  • No Earthy, I suppose it puts the kybosh on anymore Earth Wind and Fire jokes I might have thought up hahaha
  • Best guess

Pickford
    Godfrey Tarkowski Branthwaite Mykolenko
    Harrison Gueye Garner McNeil
    Doucoure
    Calvert-Lewin

Calvert-Lewin dropped to the bench, replaced by Beto

Onana fit, comes in for Gueye who misses out

Otherwise as expected

• edited March 2

No Earthy, I suppose it puts the kybosh on anymore Earth Wind and Fire jokes I might have thought up hahaha

He's currently playing for the u21's at Blackburn, maybe make Goodison Park for the second half .

• Hadn’t realised that this season we are the second worst at conceding headed attempts and the worst at allowing open play crosses into the box.
    Everton are second best at both.
    Could be an interesting afternoon.
  • Kind of fear this one ,Everton I think will be up for it .Lets hope we are
  • Zouma is a huge worry for me, not just for his own performance but the effect having him in the team has on others.
  • Very annoying that the Bahrain Grand Prix is just about to start on a day when we have a 3pm Saturday game.
  • Paqueta down injured already.
  • edited March 2
    Back up, it was an unpunished arm to the face.
  • Very annoying that the Bahrain Grand Prix is just about to start on a day when we have a 3pm Saturday game.

Verstappen in front, no need to watch any more of that.
  • Shocking corner from JWP.
  • Paqueta shoulda done better in the 2nd phase of another corner.