Brentford (H) 8pm Monday 26th February live on Sky

1235»

Comments

• Lukerz said:

Plus, that’s our best 11, as it stands. Forget Aguerd & Phillips, that’s our most balanced 11.

Can't agree that Zouma is part of our best 11 atm.
    He is when the other option is Aguerd, but he does need looking at in terms of replacing.
  • Lukerz said:

Plus, that’s our best 11, as it stands. Forget Aguerd & Phillips, that’s our most balanced 11.

On his current form, I'm not sure Zouma should start ahead of Aguerd.
  • Listening to Bowen’s post match interview, I think he’d make a great captain
  • Can we play all of our games on Monday please!
  • Bowen,s interview was great down to earth still wants to learn .great guy
  • First time Kudus - Bowen - Paqueta have started since…our last win.
  • I have said before Paquetta is the key as without him we simply don't create chances and as Berlin said he also seems to just give the team confidence, I think he makes them all think they are Brazillian and expect to win.

Bowen, Kudus and Paquetta are a brilliant trio and will always produce goals, yet if we remove one we are simply not the same threat.
  • Paquetta was not the best player on the pitch tonight, but simply being on the pitch seemed to lift the whole team. Also a special mention for both our full backs - Emerson scored a cracker, and I thought Coufal was great going forward (especially in the first half).

• Didn't want to say it during the match but Toney was invisible. we really did a job keeping one of the best strikers in the Premier League out of the game
  • Didn't want to say it during the match but Toney was invisible. we really did a job keeping one of the best strikers in the Premier League out of the game

Lol, I was exactly the same, I didn't want to jinx it. He did nearly get a late goal that Areola just managed to claw out, but otherwise he was really quiet.

• MIAHammer said:

I wonder what are the odds of both Maupay and Toney to score.

About even money.

At least, that's all I'd offer 😂🤣😂😭😭😭

About right I reckon, Maupay scored, and, but for a very good save by Areola in added time, so would Toney have done.

• Still happy
  • Wow, great result that I did not see coming, right out the gate we looked sharp and a completely different team from recent weeks, then after Brentford got one back, we kind of reverted back to form, the game became a bit scrappy and I think we looked nervous and vulnerable whenever they attacked.

All that being said, I think the result is a fair reflection, yes we were nervous and Areola made a couple of key saves to keep us ahead but let’s not forget that we scored four quality goals from open play and Soucek could easily have had a brace so I hope that the confidence that the result brings, along with the return of a couple of our key players, will give us the boost we need to see the season safely out - and let’s have a bit of fun in Europe.

COYI
  • I can't see us playing that way against City or Pool, but it would be fun trying
  • I'm looking forward to Moyes outwitting the opposition and unleashing the true potential of his players. Don't think it will be in this fixture, though.

See what I did there? No need to thank me...

• So many positives : Mavrapanos is steadily improving; Soucek's passing was excellent; Emerson scored a goal; Areola is looking like a #1 gk at last; Paqueta galvanised the entire team. And Nolan had a go at a couple of Brentford players 😁
  • Strange how we seem to be getting the better of our bogey teams a lot this season. Great game yesterday, you could see how the team were nervous at times and full of confidence at others. We need to build confidence over the next few games and then I see no reason why we can't end the season on a high. And tbh, I wouldn't mind another pop at the Conference League.
  • It's crazy to me that Bowen finds as much space in the box as he does. He's scored a good amount of headers, he's a lethal finisher with either foot, and yet for the second and third goals he just managed to ghost into the box unnoticed. If it happened against us I think we'd complain about the marking, but really he's just got this knack of finding the space and exploiting it.
  • We finally nailed the Brentford hoodoo. Pity we let in their second as they’ve still scored at least twice against us every PL game.
  • Paquetta was not the best player on the pitch tonight, but simply being on the pitch seemed to lift the whole team. Also a special mention for both our full backs - Emerson scored a cracker, and I thought Coufal was great going forward (especially in the first half).

Agree. But also think there was just more balance to the team. Soucek, Phillips, Alvarez and JWP in a starting lineup is just ridiculous imo. Everything looked wrong.

Paqueta’s presence I think brought confidence but also just a better balance to the playing field and more space for everyone else to play as they should.

But he was also pretty good himself.
  • Had Zouma just put the ball into the stands at 2-0, that game would have been more comfortable than it was. We played well, they didn’t turn up.
  • Soucek and Alvarez had decent games so I can't see Phillips starting against Everton.
  • Soucek and Alvarez had decent games so I can't see Phillips starting against Everton.

I think Alvarez get's a suspension with one more yellow card. I'm not sure if it's for 2 or 3 games. Can someone confirm that? And I believe it only applies to PL games so he'll be free for Europe.
    So, maybe not against Everton but Phillips will likely see some action soon.
  • Yeah, Alvarez got his 9th PL yellow yesterday, so very likely to have a 2 game ban soon:

"Any player earning 10 bookings from his side's first 32 Premier League matches will serve a two-match ban in the same competition."
  • According to the WhoScored metrics, Emerson scored a perfect 10 yesterday. I tried to look at the (free) site to see if that had ever happened before, but couldn't navigate the filters successfully.

If anybody subscribes, is there a way of searching for that info?
  • I don’t have a subscription, but I found this article from March last year. It happens, but the fact they wrote an article about the 7 suggests it doesn’t happen particularly often

https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/La0dfgd7CEO0E-WTQfOwug/Show/Liverpool-pair-Firmino-and-Salah-among-perfect-10-recipients-this-season
  • Cheers, alderz.

Below that story is a link to one about this week's team of the week https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/FciHJ191C02ezT_ojq8Ibw/Show/Emerson-dazzles-as-West-Ham-dominate-Premier-League-Team-of-the-Week
    It says he's the 3rd player player this season to score the 10.
  • MrsGrey said:

According to the WhoScored metrics, Emerson scored a perfect 10 yesterday. I tried to look at the (free) site to see if that had ever happened before, but couldn't navigate the filters successfully.

Don't know how he warranted a 10. I thought he lost the ball 2-3 times in key areas in the first half.
  • MIAHammer said:

MrsGrey said:

According to the WhoScored metrics, Emerson scored a perfect 10 yesterday. I tried to look at the (free) site to see if that had ever happened before, but couldn't navigate the filters successfully.

Don't know how he warranted a 10. I thought he lost the ball 2-3 times in key areas in the first half.
    On SofaScore he got a 9.6 / 10 too.

1 goal, 1 assist, 1 clearance off the line, 5 interceptions, 4 tackles, 4 key passes, 7/11 ground duels won, 2/3 aerial duels won, 90 touches.

He gave the ball away a bit, but when he didn’t he did a lot of good in possession and he defended well.
  • Does that mean we have to do the MOTM over again =) would be like taking Bowen,s match ball away from him =)