The Actual Transfer Window

Comments

• edited January 23
    My only issue with Phillips is his injury record but think he’s a good signing. Priority wise it might seem odd if we don’t sign another attacker in January but if not, I do actually think we need more competition in midfield. Alvarez has been doing well but the others often kind of just tick along through a game.

It may also allow JWP to play a more advanced role sometimes, where I think he’s way more effective.
  • Hopefully there's an option to buy when City get relegted to league 1 after all their financial cheating etc

#NoMalice
  • I'd be flogging Trippier if at Newcastle. They have Livramento now and Trippier looks like hes on a downward spiral.
  • If we have paid a loan fee for Philips I am sure we will just put it onto Paquetta's fee, 80m becomes 85m.
  • So Paquetá is definitely going to Citeh then?
  • Clearly Citeh are worried about the betting situation but if I was Paqueta I would be more worried about what sanctions Citeh have coming for breach of financial rules
  • It won't reach court for another couple of years and then there'll be an appeal, which will probably take another couple of years.
    Considering they keep saying they're innocent, they re sure taking their time trying to prove it.
  • No news on Phillips yet then
  • It’s not up to them to prove they’re innocent.
  • Not relating specifically to just this transfer window (apologies), but West Ham have come 14th in the list of biggest losses on "Balances for non-academy players signed and transferred between 2014 and 2023" with a total loss of €183m. Barcelona top the list with €631m, but there are 3 PL clubs in the top 5, and 6 in the top 10.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68074110

https://football-observatory.com/WeeklyPost448
  • I think the Palace figure is most shocking, that between 2014-23 they have only received 29m in transfer fees but paid 236m. Something is going wrong there. They do have a couple of good assets at present I guess.
  • I have to say that I feel the same :)
  • Have to say he is growing on me
  • Fabrizio Romano suggesting it's a done deal, to be announced today:

• I really can't believe we'd consider another aging, injury prone player on, I'm sure, not insignificant wages. Bizarre as, only yesterday, I made reference to him (with Preston's help) as a player who punched the ball into our net.

A very definite "no" from me.
  • He's 32 and very injury prone and not worth 18 million pound, in my view.
  • Another Ings mark 2 then
  • steve said:

Another Ings mark 2 then

Ings was MotM against Sheff Utd although it took us a year to work out he played better as an No.10 than a No.9

Only Talksport have linked us with Wilson who has been linked by other sources with Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd

• steve said:

Another Ings mark 2 then

Ings was MotM against Sheff Utd although it took us a year to work out he played better as an No.10 than a No.9
    Unfortunately we don't really need him as a No.10 when we've got anywhere near a full squad, we need him as a No.9 .

• Apparently we've had an opening bid turned down for Ibrahim Osman (young, pqacey winger who can play across the front three). Comes from the same academy as Kudus and he 'liked' a suggestion from Romano about him potentially joining us.

In other news, its been suggested that Benrahma has moved out of his Essex home (in readiness for a transfer?)
  • Ibrahim Osman, only turned 19 in November, from Ghana. Currently playing in the Danish league. Pacy, reasonably 2-footed, bags of potential but really needs to work on his finishing judging by the youtube video I saw of him.

Suggestions are it could take upwards of £15m to get him, so he's hardly a cheap punt, but I suppose we might be trying to get one before they spend 2 seasons at Ajax and cost us £40m. Given the price is based largely on potential you'd think we've scouted him extensively if we're going to trump up that sort of money. If we can collectively get past our Savio trauma, then he could be an exciting signing.

Aforementioned highlights reel:

• It seems a lot of money for where he is at in his career but I suppose they are the gambles you need to take at times. I am very happy with our recruitment recently and although I am not convinced by Mavropanos, our other three summer signings have been very good and the price paid very reasonable, so I would be happy with anyone they brought in at present as trust is high. As for the Phillips loan, that has the potential to make us contenders in the Europa league and for the Euro places in the league. I think my instinct was that we were a little over achieving regard our current league position but if the key players now stay fit I think 5-7 is certainly possible, with even an outside chance of fourth. Very excited for the rest of the season now.
  • Phillips loan confirmed, pity no option to buy included in the deal.
  • And why has he taken Paqueta's No 11 shirt?

Paqueta wears No.10 .
  • That will be why then.

Paqueta did wear No.11 last season, but switched to No.10 for this season.