SC Freiburg (H) 8pm Thurs 14th Dec

Less than 48 hours until kick off so I thought I’d get this thread started although I’m currently in West Virginia with the future Mrs shrugged typing this on my mobile

The big news since we played Freiburg is the return of Austrian international CF Michael Gregoritsch from a calf injury. After a few appearances off the bench he has started the last four games and has scored 5 goals in the last three starting with a hat trick against Olympiacos

That’s all for now, I’ll be back in London tomorrow

Comments

• Less than 48 hours until kick off

Excepr it’s more than 48 hours which is why I never worked in the ticket office…

• Very little from Moyes in the presser, just that a few have been suffering from illness.

The only other thing of note was this about Kehrer:

"Thilo is a brilliant boy who works really hard in training. He brings flexibility and he's hugely important for us with his versatility.
    "It's been tough for him because we have some players who have been performing brilliantly defensively, but we know what he can do."

Sounds like he's either trying to keep the player happy or, more likely imo, suggesting he's an important player to us to try to jack his price up should anyone come calling.

There's so many players at the club that are barely getting a look in, you could argue that Cresswell, Johnson and Kehrer are all surplus to requirements by the summer, but we obviously shouldn't let all 3 leave in January as I can't see too many new players coming in.
  • My concern tomorrow is that with us only needing a draw Moyes may set us up very defensively and allow them to come onto us, yet 90 minutes is hard to hold out for and we could end up conceding late and coming to life without enough time left.

I would be in favour of treating it as though we need a win.
  • My concern tomorrow is that with us only needing a draw Moyes may set us up very defensively and allow them to come onto us, yet 90 minutes is hard to hold out for and we could end up conceding late and coming to life without enough time left.

I would be in favour of treating it as though we need a win.

Whilst I hear what you're saying, Moyes sets us up very defensively for every match, so I don't think we'll see anything particularly different tomorrow night.
  • My prediction is starting mostly the A list (so as to be better placed for a win) and if all goes well subbing some B list players fairly quickly on.

he wants to get it done and dusted. In order to protect our best players in a busy schedule. would make no sense to field a bunch of losers from the get go.

(Of course, his hand may be forced by illness, injury and fatigue (aka :not fully recovered from previous exertions and therefore at risk of injury).
  • We don’t know the nature of the illness which has been going round the club so don’t know the extent to which it will have a big impact.
  • Freiburg are currently 8th and have gone four games unbeaten, drawing 1-1 with Darmstadt (18th), beating Olympiacos 5-0 then winning 1-0 away at Mainz (!7th) and Wolfsburg (11th)

Freiburg's starting XI against us was

Atubolu
    Sildillia Ginter Lienhart Kübler
    Sallai Eggestein Höfler Grifo
    Adamu Höler

Looking at recent matches there haven't been many changes to that starting XI apart from CF Michael Gregoritsch coming in for Junior Adamu with German U21 Merlin Rohl preferred as his strike partner over Lucas Holer for the last two games

Gregoritsch is a 6' 4" old fashioned target man, good in the air

22yo Jordy Makengo has been playing LB while Lukas Kubler recovered from a broken toe (Kubler was on the bench against Wolfsburg) and Japanese international RW Ritsu Doan replaced Roland Sallai (scored against us) who has been a substitute the last three matches after returning from a muscle injury

Vincenzo Grifo is top scorer and assist provider, both 7 so far this season, and continues as captain in the absence of LB Christian Gunter, still out after breaking his arm at the beginning of the season
  • I’m out of touch, any know any threads where I my be able to watch the game tonight
  • Omg, paramount+ has Nigel reo-Coker commentating the Europa games over here.
  • edited December 2023
    Fabiański, Coufal, Mavropanos, Aguerd, Emerson, Álvarez, Ward-Prowse, Souček, Kudus, Paquetá, Bowen
    Subs: Areola (GK), Johnson, Kehrer, Cresswell, Zouma, Ogbonna, Coventry, Fornals, Benrahma, Cornet, Mubama, Ings

A strong side, let's hope it's good enough to top the group.
  • All ready for this one .Dog has Been walked and is now under his blanket ,A nice bottle of red is being warmed .Looking forward to a nice stress free 3-0 win Wife is out .What could go wrong =)
  • COYI ⚒⚒⚒
  • Thought we'd scored, great work by Kudus, Paqueta hits the bar.
  • edited December 2023
    CB Phillip Lienhart missing, not among the suns so guessing he’s injured. Manuel Gulde plays instead

Holer and Rohl both on the beach, Sallai gets his first start since coming back from injury
  • I think we've been linked with Sallai a couple of times.
  • Get in, Kudus
  • 1-0!

Great ball from Alvarez, great finish from Kudus
  • Please lets not sit on this
  • great ball over the top.
  • Kudus is good at football.
  • Watching it again, it was dreadful defending.
  • Not really the best option by Bowen, shooting from that far out.
  • CB Phillip Lienhart missing, not among the suns so guessing he’s injured. Manuel Gulde plays instead

Holer and Rohl both on the beach, Sallai gets his first start since coming back from injury

Mentions of suns and beach, sounds like someone has a holiday on his mind hahaha
  • Bowen scores but looked offside, it's flagged and won't stand.
  • I’ve really enjoyed this half. My usual complaint with us is that I can’t see any real game plan when we have the ball, but I’m not having that trouble tonight. A good performance with and without the ball, so far.
  • alderz said:

I’ve really enjoyed this half. My usual complaint with us is that I can’t see any real game plan when we have the ball, but I’m not having that trouble tonight. A good performance with and without the ball, so far.

Same. I’m back to #MoyesIn
  • That’s a great goal